Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Dodge Nitro!

Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dodge Nitro!

I was expecting to see this at the NAIAS but it went to the Chicago autoshow instead, can't get em' all I guess. I really like what I've seen so far and it appears that the pics we're seeing is the real thing. I think it looks like a version of the Land Rover with a mix of H3. The SRT-6 version is said to have 300 hp, with the base model putting out about 255. I think the styling is very cool because it looks very muscular and nothing else out there looks like it. I can't wait till the Dodge dealers get them, anyone know when they're coming in? Your thoughts...

Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 PM
sbj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dodge Nitro!

That is the dodge caliber srt-4? Maybe the Nitro is right, I thought it was Caliber. Anyway, looks to be an aggressive looking car. I think it is to be an '07 year model, maybe July or August? It would be good if it were near srt-4 prices too.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Dodge Nitro!

looks real cool to me!!!

Dodge Nitro Blows into Chicago

This week's Chicago auto show will host the production-version launch of the 2007 Dodge Nitro sport-ute. Based on the Jeep Liberty platform, the Nitro gets full-size options for its mid-size ute body, including a choice of V-6 engines, 20-inch wheels and sport suspension. Available in three models - base, SLT, and R/T - the Nitro comes standard with a 3.7-liter V-6 with 210 hp. The performance R/T edition gets a new 4.0-liter V-6 with 255 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. And standard on the R/T, optional on the SLT, is a suspension-and-wheels package with 20-inch rims and more tightly tuned ride motions. The standard gearbox on base vehicles is a six-speed manual, while a four-speed automatic is an option; the SLT gets the four-speed standard, while the R/T gets a standard five-speed automatic. Four-wheel drive is offered on all models. A new Load 'N Go floor slides 18 inches to and fro for easier loading of the cargo area and it's capable of holding up to 400 pounds (or three Eva Longorias and some change, if you must). ABS, ESP, and side curtain airbags are standard, while a navigation system, CD changer, DVD entertainment system and Sirius are options.

~ via... the car connection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10674_STHETFPNEWYSA[1].jpg (9.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default dodge caliber

Originally Posted by sbj
That is the dodge caliber srt-4? Maybe the Nitro is right, I thought it was Caliber. Anyway, looks to be an aggressive looking car. I think it is to be an '07 year model, maybe July or August? It would be good if it were near srt-4 prices too.
here is the caliber:

The Dodge Caliber is coming to replace the Neon - and it has bigger dreams of global domination than the former entry-level Dodge sedan and coupe ever had.

The Caliber is the beginning of an ambitious program at Chrysler to make money in the ultra-competitive U.S. compact segment by offering more than just a refreshed econo-hatch. Not only will the Caliber appear in American showrooms, it's headed to Europe as well. And its basic architecture will spawn at least two brethren that will broaden the Chrysler Group small-car portfolio - while spreading the cost of a brand-new vehicle family over both the Dodge and Jeep brands.

The Caliber brings some potent hardware to the battle with Civics, Focuses and Corollas. Its new three-engine lineup was co-developed with Hyundai Motor Co. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. for the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA), while the continuously variable transaxle and all-wheel drive will put it at the forefront of small-car technology.

At first glance, the Caliber seems better equipped to be successful - perhaps even profitable - in a segment long dominated by Japanese cars.

International aspirations

It is no accident the concept versions of the Caliber and the related Compass/Patriot Jeeps made their debut at the Geneva and Frankfurt shows last year. The Caliber arrives outside North America later this year with both right- and left-hand drive models and an optional turbodiesel engine. The Caliber complies with all regulatory requirements, as well as offset crash tests in Europe and Australia and front-impact compliance for Japan and Australia.

But it's at home where the Caliber will have the fiercest competition first. In North America, the Caliber will compete in both the compact and mid-size car segments and appeal to first-time new car purchasers, including those whose first car may have been used, according to George Murphy, Senior Vice President Global Marketing. It is aimed at the small and mid-size sport-tourer buyer as well. The compact car segment has held at a steady 10- to 12-percent share of the U.S. car market for the past few years, with 1.9 million units sold annually. The sport-tourer segment is growing, with more than 800,000 units sold each year. Small sport-tourer sales account for 40 percent of the total sport-tourer segment and continue to grow, according to Dodge. The International C-car market is much bigger, typically accounting for about 30 percent.

The styling challenge on the shared program is to provide enough difference from Jeep Patriot and Compass versions. "With its bold styling and clever packaging, the Caliber is pure Dodge," maintains Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President of Design, Chrysler Group. The crosshair grille is clearly Dodge and the sculpted fender forms, broad shoulders and hood are recognizably Dodge, too. In profile a black graphic accent runs into the length an integrated rear-roof spoiler, creating what Dodge says is "a coupe-like visual quality" from the side view.

The hatchback, er, liftgate combines with four doors and split-folding rear seats to provide flexibility for people or things. Interior space is 95.2 cu. ft. (SAE), with 18.5 cu ft. of cargo room. Fold the rear seats flat and 48 cu. ft. appear. A floor console sliding armrest moves forward three inches to accommodate shorter drivers. The armrest lid includes a pocket for storing a cell phone or an MP3 player. In higher trim models, the rear seats recline 12 degrees, and the front passenger seat folds forward creating a table-like surface. A cooled beverage storage bin that can hold up to four 20-ounce bottles is available in air conditioning-equipped models.

Underneath, three engines with claimed class-leading power are available. The base SE uses a 1.8-liter four-cylinder bolted to a five-speed manual transaxle. Optional are 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter engines and a CVT calibrated for "pleasing engine response," says Dodge. The CVT sports an AutoStick feature that allows for manual control with the simulation of six stepped gears. The CVT contributes to a fuel economy improvement of six to eight percent compared with a traditional four-speed automatic, says Dodge. All engines use variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust valves and intake manifold with flow control valves, firsts for a Chrysler Group compact car. Combined, these features produce more power, better fuel economy, and smoother, quieter operation than engines without them, according to the company. Dodge says an all-wheel drive model with traction and stability control will eventually appear. And maybe, just maybe a turbocharged model could become, eventually, the performance flagship.

Production of the Caliber begins in early 2006 at the newly refurbished Belvidere (Ill.) assembly plant. The new four-cylinders for this vehicle are built in the GEMA plant in Michigan.

2007 Dodge Caliber
Base price: $13,985-$20,000 (est.)
Engine: 1.8-liter in-line four, 148 hp; 2.0-liter in-line four, 158 hp; 2.4-liter in-line four, 172 hp/165 lb-ft; 2.0-liter turbodiesel outside North America
Transmission: Five-speed manual or continuously variable transaxle; front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive
Length x width x height: 173.8 x 68.8 x 60.4 inches
Wheelbase: 103.7 inches
Curb weight: 2966 lb (est., front-wheel-drive SE); 3308 lb (est., all-wheel drive R/T)
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): N/A
Safety equipment: Dual front and side curtain airbags
Major standard equipment: Tilt steering; 15-inch tires; illuminated front cup holders; center-console sliding armrest, with cellphone/MP3 player storage

Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

~ via... the car connection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1837[2].jpg (43.1 KB, 57 views)