Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

FORMULA 1 J.P. MONTOYA goes NASCAR!

Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FORMULA 1 J.P. MONTOYA goes NASCAR!

Formula One driver Juan Pablo Montoya will become a rookie in the cup and busch series of nascar; starting 2007.

as per speed channel...

Old 07-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: FORMULA 1 J.P. MONTOYA goes NASCAR!

What the heck is he thinking ? Well at least we know who will win the handful of road races that nacar has on it's schedule !

Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is that with all the driver changes for next year, Alonso going to MacLaren and Shuey not making way Kimi at Ferrari etc. He has been left without a seat. Pity really as he is one of the more colourful characters in F1.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jpm.jpg (148.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unreal Woody...but then again, did you see the comment last week by JV concerning NASCAR? He said, "it would not be a move down". Whether you like him or not, JV has his own view of motor racing. Since JPM made his name here in the US and still has many fans here, I'm sure he'll be welcomed in Nascar. He's not having great success and support from the Mclaren team (he's not faultless in this situation) so leaving f1, rather than racing for a "2nd tier team" makes perfect sense. He'll get to race in Nascar, will have a much greater shot at top finishes and wins than he would in F1.
I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming.
...or JV launching a singing career.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

I thought it was a peculiar yet interesting move as well... but he looked too happy at the press conference... they didn't state how long his contract would be..

Originally Posted by woody
one of the more colourful characters in F1.
Spot on!
his character/personality will bring more interest and fans to nascar... i saw the press conference and he said more or less it is not a step down... he is receiving the salary he had requested without any haggling from Gnassi... who Montoya had worked under before...

...and to paraphrase a quote Montoya made:

"At least now if i hit somebody's side or go tire on tire, I won't be called an animal!"

i thought that to be a bit funny... He also stated that he is only a 3 hour flight from home where as with F1 he was 23 hours from home...

by the way... looks like NASCAR is beginning to accomplish its goal in becoming "international"!

Old 07-09-2006, 04:35 PM

LOL...JV's tracks were fun, but he better stick with racin'.

Nascar has a very long way toward becoming "international" and also, NASCAR has nothing to do with JPM rejoining his former boss. Chip and JPM had nothing but success together. It will be interesting to see how JPM handles the "frequent" touches in NASCAR.

If they would just have a few more road courses...hehe.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
LOL...JV's tracks were fun, but he better stick with racin'.

Senna...
Nascar has a very long way toward becoming "international" and also, NASCAR has nothing to do with JPM rejoining his former boss. Chip and JPM had nothing but success together. It will be interesting to see how JPM handles the "frequent" touches in NASCAR.

If they would just have a few more road courses...hehe.
NASCAR did not have a "say" in Montoya's "crossover"... however The draw he will bring into America's sport, new fans and crossover viewers from F1 will be to the delight of NASCAR... As in any other franchised operation its one for all -- all for one! NASCAR now opened its window to a LARGE latino base and other markets (Montoya fans) across the world as well as never seen before sponsors.

Who on another continent... say europe or asia... who is a fan of Montoya wouldn't watch a nascar race on EURO or asian TV/cable. Montoya is a huge personality in the philippines. And they would have more of an access to him via NASCAR and its glitzy schedule...

As well as their plans of going international they do have "goals" to add more road courses to the circuit
Did you hear that NASCAR is vigorously trying to negotiate a NASCAR stadium in Staten Island? Possibly Brooklyn? Any which NYC's Latino population would assist in sellout events... starting with Montoya and those who follow his pursuit.

I say i do not think it was a bad career move as he will make up the salary lost with endorsements and such... As for me, i enjoy NASCAR but love F1.. Grand Am...etc...

I am sure Montoya is the biggest asset to NASCAR in a very long time and jeff gordon (helmeted! )... Better be prepared! (KENSETH/GORDON incident: where Gordon was bumped out of position by kenseth at the end of a race and GORDON came out of his chevy screaming mad... pushed Kenseth {helmet off} as if to start a fight but Gordon had left his helmet on... like an astronaut!!! It was pretty funny)...

You can count me in on watching Montoya NASCAR races!!!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 PM

XFire1,
I hadn't heard about the Staten Island or the Brooklyn Nascar activity. As you can imagine, that's gonna difficult to pull off by any stretch of the imagination, but we could hope eh?

I like Nascar somewhat, but the events seem a bit long, the season is long, and the fields are a bit too big, and it's round and round almost exclusively, I prefer road racing generally.

With the addition of JPM, I think I'll be watching a little more frequently. Certainly the road races will be interesting, but honestly, I think most of the Nascar drivers have a lot more to offer than the current format (ovals) allows them to showcase.