Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

I've been reading the postings and learning from all the advice/comments of this forum. I've been autocrossing and have also done two weekends of high performance drivers ed at Putnam Park in Indiana. As usual, I'm the only Crossfire SRT6 out there. I would like to ask experience d racers, esp. autocrossers and high performance, for advice on the following:

Seats with harnesses - what do you recommend.

Brakes for racing (I used Hawks HPS this weekend, but I'm still smelling them).

DOT 4 fluid - what brand with high wet boiling point.

Tires (using Michelin Pro Sport 2).

What else? I still want to be able to remain A stock at this time.

Thanks for your advice. I'm new and don't understand all your terminology, so keep that in mind when replying.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

Welcome to the Forum!!!
I am sure that our resident racing guru's will chime in soon...HDDP & MMZ.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers

Welcome to our Forum and I am sure you will receive the answers you are looking for here.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JaneBridges

Thanks for your advice. I'm new and don't understand all your terminology, so keep that in mind when replying.
From an autocrosser:
Seats you can't do anything with and still be A stock legal. Harness you can do...I've never used one because I don't track my car and for autox it's more trouble than worth imo.

Brakes and fluid I'll let the track folks address.

Tires is really a matter of how fast you want to go vs. how long you want them to last and how much you can/want to spend. I can help you with the fastest setup for autocross, but I have a feeling that's not exactly what you're after.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for brakes I would run Motul brake fluid that's compatible with our cars. Use the correct fluid otherwise you will toast the ABS TC pump and that will cost $$$. I'm slowly working on a C32 brake kit for my car, just need to stop by the dealer and order a caliper... but it might require some machine work on your part.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

My suggestions:

Brake Fluid: Motul 600 will keep you from boiling under just about any condition on the track. Flush the entire system with it starting with the right-rear. After the right rear, flush the left-rear, right-front and finally left-front. I went through about 2 quarts I think.

Brake Pads: Porterfield R4 if you are able to change pads before and after the event. If you need to run the pads all the time, get the Porterfield R4S pads. They are a street pad with almost the same characteristics as the racing compound and lower dust than OEM. Remember running racing pads during everyday driving will eat your rotors alive.

Rotors: If you have the funds, I would invest in another set of rotors just for the track. (I did).

Seats: Nothing to change... move your seat backward one inch or so, grab the shoulder belt near the buckle and tighten it until you feel pressure on your pelvis. Next, while holding this pressure, with your left hand, pull out the shoulder belt and let it snap back with your right hand. Done correctly, it should lock the retractor. Now move your seat forward again. This will hold you in the seat nearly as well as a four point harness.

Tires: I don't autocross, but I'm running Yokohama Advans right now and I'm very happy. I don't know if you can go wider without breaking the rules and moving out of stock A. I'm currently running 245/35R18s in the front on 18x8.5 rims and 295/30R19s in the rear on 19x9.5 rims. All rims have an offset of 35mm with a 7mm spacer on the rears only.

Hope that helps... Cheers!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for your kind welcome and advice. I really appreciate the guidance. So many people who know nothing about the SRT6 love to give advice, not realizing that finding compatible products are not always easy. Plus, many people have no idea what this car is all about, until I pass them in the staightaway which I love to do.

I'm still going to pursue the harness and possibly a seat. I'm 5'10" and am finding that I'm using my knees to brace me when I'm cornering.

I now have two STR6s, one for racing and the other to baby, so this forum has come in handy in understanding this car.

Again, thank you.

Jane

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been reading the postings and learning from all the advice/comments of this forum. I've been autocrossing and have also done two weekends of high performance drivers ed at Putnam Park in Indiana. As usual, I'm the only Crossfire SRT6 out there. I would like to ask experience d racers, esp. autocrossers and high performance, for advice on the following:

I have to decline this one since I don't know the AutoX classing rules... Now if you were going full tilt boogie RACING, that's a different story

Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 PM

I can help out with the autocross setup and a little on the track side as well. I would recommend the Porterfield R4S as a dual purpose track/street pad but you would be better off having a dedicated set of track pads as was already suggested. Fluid I will leave alone as I am running stock fluid right now. I do really like ATE Super Blue from prior use on different vehicles but I have no clue if they make it in DOT 4, even though I imagine they do.

A harness is great but an aftermarket seat will not be legal for A stock autocrossing.

As for tires. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend for speed. I have running Kuhmos on the front of my car and Hoosiers on the rear. Kuhmos are much more durable but don't offer a 19 inch size. My rear Hoosiers have held up really well and have just past 80 runs this past weekend. Hoosiers on the front of my car only lasted 20 autocross runs where as the Kuhmos are past 40 and still have plenty of life left in them.

Welcome, these cars are pretty fun to autocross and race even though most people don't get it.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular

HDDP: For high performance drivers ed, in which there is a lot of racing going on, what would you recommend for the full "boogie."

MMZ: What kind of rotors do you use for racing.

Again, thanks for all the advice from the experienced drivers. I will be taking this all in and starting to work with a mechanic to see if we can come up with a good plan for next spring.

Jane

Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 AM

HDDP: For high performance drivers ed, in which there is a lot of racing going on, what would you recommend for the full "boogie."

MMZ: What kind of rotors do you use for racing.

Again, thanks for all the advice from the experienced drivers. I will be taking this all in and starting to work with a mechanic to see if we can come up with a good plan for next spring.

Jane
I'm assuming you don't have the SRT... And want to work with off-the-shelf performance equipment...

Work on your suspension, tires, brakes first. SRT6 calipers and rotors with Porterfield R4 pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, Motul fluid... Eibach or H&R springs, shave your perch pads to 1/8"... Install SRT sway bars front & rear... Koni, K&H or H&R dampers... Install 18" wheels on all 4 corners with Hankook or Hoosier rubber... set your camber as far negative as your alignment guy can get it...

That's a good start for handling & braking... When you get that done, you can start with the engine...

Old 11-03-2007, 04:07 PM

[quote=HDDP]I'm assuming you don't have the SRT... And want to work with off-the-shelf performance equipment...
quote]

You must be spending too much time with your new engine, I think you missed Jane's post - she has two SRT-6's, serious stuff.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=malcb]
Originally Posted by HDDP
I'm assuming you don't have the SRT... And want to work with off-the-shelf performance equipment...
quote]

You must be spending too much time with your new engine, I think you missed Jane's post - she has two SRT-6's, serious stuff.
I'm sorry I missed that... Then this will be more complicated... The brakes are already good enough, but get the Prorterfield R4 pads and Goodridge SS lines... Upgrade the Springs and Dampers...

Now to the fun stuff... Schrick Cams, rebuild the IC system with something that will actually keep it cool... And replace the exhaust manifold with a decent long tube header... (CHOKE) Install a LET or ASP pulley... Find a good tuner that knows the Bosch Motronic ECU and can tune your car to the above mentioned mods... That's a start...

Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 AM

JaneBridges,

The rotors I'm running are from a company call 'Disc Italia' and were already cross drilled and slotted. Click the link in my signature for the thread on the rotors. The only thing I had done to them is Cryogenic treatment.

One word of warning, if you are going to drive this on the street, the Disc Italia rotors sqeal like a school bus. You can also purchase plain stock style rotors aftermarket. You may be able to find slotted only, which is more suited for racing.

As to the seats, yes, if you can't reach the floor on the left side, you may want to get a 'dead pedal' and put it in that spot, it will give you some additional bracing for cornering. I don't have a problem being knocked around with the belt locked and the seat moved forward. I'm really pulled into the seat. You can do that to the point that you can't breath, but I don't recommend it.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Default OOO Now we are talking

If you want to go full out HDDP is the expert but for little old me.

I am running the following
Koni Shockers
Eibach springs
K &N Filters
Sparco Pro 2000 Seat (you will have to make your own mounts)
Sabelt harness
Potterfield RS Pads with the dust covers removed from the Rotors.
Powerchip built me a 100 Octane ECU
3" exhaust with crossover.
Yokohama A048 Advan 18 x 235 front 18 x 265 rear 33 psi front 34 psi rear.

Rotors are now toast so going to DBA 5000 series or EBC with water cooling , usuing a windscreen washer bottle and nozzles.

Ran four 15 lap races at Winton again yesterday my time (Tuesday holiday) but ended up with NO pedal after race four.
IN for a service with Chysler on Friday, now I have some explaining to do!
Good luck

Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. Of course, I don't fully understand everything, but I hope my racing mechanic will be able to help me. Yes, I have 2 SRT6 Crossfires. I'm totally shocked at how cheap I got the second one. She sat in the dealer's lot way too long and needed to be driven. Only had 260 miles, so now I have the honor of breaking her in. I had been dreaming about having a car to race and one to drive, so my dream came true.

You all are amazing at all the modifications that you've done to your cars and I thank you for your advice. I've been enjoying this forum, but get discouraged when I read about all the toubles people have had with their cars. However, I'm so excited to read about all the people who love the Crossfire and love to drive fast.

Jane

Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Forum Regular

Here's an update. Pulled my car out of storage. Flat stoppers and battery tender did a great job with no problems.

Took my car to my new racing mechanic who is a benz mechanic and fellow racer. He put on Porterfields (I'll have pads for racing and another set for everyday.) Porterfield custom made metal brake lines for me. So, should any of you desire metal brake lines, Porterfield will now have them in their catalog. And, I now have Motul 600. I had better not burn up my brakes again. Every time I run at Putnam park, I trash my brakes.

I now have an amazing 5 point harness that holds me in. Won't have to use my knees to brace me in the turns.

I'm taking both of my Crossfires to Tail of the Dragon this weekend and look forward to getting in my harness and trying out my Porterfields.

Thanks to you all for helping me get my car ready for another season and another level of racing. I'm so fortunate to have this mechanic who understands racing and Benz's.

Jane

Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 AM

Glad to hear we could be of help. I will be looking at new lines later this year, but probably going to get that new super charger pulley to overdrive it. The other item on my list for this year is adding an actual reservior to the intercooler system as I've already changed out the factory pump for the Johnson CM30.

Lastly... Pictures!... Gotta have pictures!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular

I have tried so many times to load on pictures. The pictures I have are of me driving at Putnam Park, taken by a great professional who photographs all the drivers. Once I get it figured out, I'll have pictures. Hope to have some from Tail of the Dragon.

Jane

Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Another update from the Putnam Park Girl in the SRT6 Crossfire. What a great weekend at the track. No Rain!!!! This was my first experience driving in High Performance Drivers Ed with NASA. My previous two experiences were with Porsche Car Clubs. Anyway, NASA is a very loose and loosely organized organization. With that being said, I had a great time driving by myself, working on some of the turns. My autocross instructor was there, so he rode with me on my first two runs to give me some more guidance. My new racing Porterfield brakes held up so well and I never smelled them at at. My harness was great and helped to conserve my energy. Anyway, it is so exciting to finally get IT in regards to developing my own line and increasing my acceleration in the turns. The Crossfire was so impressive and only wavered when my tires were still cold. Because I'm the only Crossfire, it stands out in a crowd, that's for sure. One man came up to me to tell me how nice the car sounded in the straightaway. I know that may sound weird, but at the track, hearing cars go by, especially the quieter ones, is really wonderful. Anyway, what fun I had going smoother and slower, so I can go faster. I'm finally driving relaxed. I hope you all can go to a High Performance Drivers Ed near you. Don't hesitate to start with clubs, like Porsche, Viper or BMWs as you'll get a great education about driving fast successfully and learning to handle your car. Enough for now. I'm tired.

Quick Reply: New girl to racing needs advice from experienced racers