Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

My first official bracket race

Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first official bracket race

Well; I went out to the track tonight thinking it was open track night for "fun runs" and was sadly mistaken. My friend and I showed up at 5:30pm because I had called the track about tonight earlier in the week and they told me "the gates open at 5pm and racing goes until 11pm". I assume that meant gates open at 5pm and racing starts at 6pm; silly me. It turns out that gates opened at 2pm and racing started at 3pm and everything ended at 9pm. Back on track.............. me and my buddy arrive, go through tech and get in line. The linesman comes up to me and says "what's your time?" and I'm thinking he just was interested in what I run........no sir........he wanted my time for BRACKET RACING. It seems we just missed out on all the time trials and were JUST in time for eliminations. My best at that time was a 12.40 so I tell him to write 12.40 as it was a nice cool night(coldest since summer). After waiting in line for about 40 minutes it's our turn to run; luckily not each other, and I get lined up with some pro driver piloting a giant engine on a chassis with a seat behind it!!! We line up and I launch pretty good but still spun the Hoosiers(everybody was struggling for traction) and I feel pretty damn good about my first "bracket race". When I get back to the booth and get my timeslip I am both happy and devestated(sp) at what I ran. I dialed in at 12.400..................and I ran 12.399..............I BROKE OUT BY .001 SECONDS!!!! Needless to say I was eliminated my first pass and wasn't allowed to run again.

On the positive side I ran my PB ET and trap tonight and it was spinning the tires.

12.399 @ 113.11 off of a 1.91 60' boost was 17.2psi

The temp was 79* when I made that pass

Last edited by Moparrbust; 10-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My first official bracket race

That is a cool story man! Good time as well even though you broke out! Bracket racing is a lot of fun if you learn how to drive. I've been bracket racing for 12 straight years and love it! Get good and you can win some $$$ too!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What mods do you have?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
What mods do you have?

It's all stock..........................well............... all the parts I put on it were "in stock" at the places I bought them so it makes it "stock" rite??? LOL

LET 185 pulley
SL55 complete intake w/K&N drop ins
fuel= E85/100pump mix
Inmotion tune
cooler w/40lbs of ice in hatch
315/35 17 Hoosier DRs

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a great mph you ran. do you have some sort of monster ice box that holds 40lbs of ice lol?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
that is a great mph you ran. do you have some sort of monster ice box that holds 40lbs of ice lol?

Yes; it's literally the size of the inside rear hatch area. One of these days I'll put it in someone elses car when I run and post even better times.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the bracket club. It's a blast and the bigger races have the best track prep. The smell of VHT becomes addicting. I did wave as I passed by on my way to fallon. You might have some of the regulars come up to you and ask if your the guy from the divisionals. Just tell them yea, so they are scared to race you. Nobody will want you in the first round. BTW what was your reaction time on the slip?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Welcome to the bracket club. It's a blast and the bigger races have the best track prep. The smell of VHT becomes addicting. I did wave as I passed by on my way to fallon. You might have some of the regulars come up to you and ask if your the guy from the divisionals. Just tell them yea, so they are scared to race you. Nobody will want you in the first round. BTW what was your reaction time on the slip?

My reaction times are the main reason why I stay away from bracket racing...........r/t on that pass was .262. I did go up against some "pros" during time trials a different night and treed 2(of2) of them when I cut a .023 and a .035 light..............it made my night.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time and don't rush into the second beam. I always do a once over and check that t/c is off, I'm in 1 not Drive, and slap my helmet a few times and get amped up. Until you get quicker reaction wise, concentrate on seeing the 2nd yellow shut off and go. I practiced this for a long time and cut great lights. I got to quick and red light now if I leave on this, but as soon as I see the 3rd yellow illuminate I'm gone. The green is actually to the side of my car when it start to illuminate. It's only a .250 of a second but makes all the difference at the stripe. I have a blast, sometimes you go out in the first round others you make it to the finals. Last friday night I lost to a supro full electronics car, I still tree'd him but he was way more dialed in than I was. It's tough to beat them, but so much sweeter when you do.