Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Tire pressure when raining?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure when raining?

Hey all,
Autocrossing this weekend and the forcast is a lot of rain. Do you generally let a few pounds of air out or add a few or does it make any difference? I'm on street tires, GS D3's.
Any other tricks for racing in the rain?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressure when raining?

Originally Posted by Wedge
Any other tricks for racing in the rain?
Just one, Don't do it if you love your Xfire.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Forum Regular

Well, you make it sound as if it's a rare, only 2016 made, european styled, with killer looks and rocket speed - museum piece, that should be charished and kept nice and dry in a heated garage and only run on glorious weather days? nahh, anybody can do that How many can say they actually take their baby out, run it hard and put it away wet? ok, I don't do that either...BUT, I won't miss a chance to kick some S2000 or porch butt, raining or not
So help a brother out, more air or less? Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going with less.

need4speed...or, at least to avoid coneage.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 AM

My point was that it's not the best car to be racing around in the rain. My SRT is my daily driver and it doesn't take much for it to get loose on a wet road when I'm hard on it.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM
She can ride with me ;)

You don't want to let any pressure out in the rain. Letting pressure out can allow the tread to bow inwards (not really, just less pressure on the middle of the tread than on the sides) which can allow water to accumulate there, separating tire from pavement in the middle. Then it's kinda like running on just the outsides of your tires, which is bad.

Stick with the standard pressure to keep the most rubber on the road in the rain.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Tom, I'll stick with my normal running pressures
And Robby, hope I didn't offend you with my response, I don't have a sense of humor so sometimes trying to be funny doesn't come our right. One of the reasons I want to run in the rain is for experience. My srt is also my daily driver and I'd like to know where it's edges are when driving in water.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wedge
Thanks Tom, I'll stick with my normal running pressures
And Robby, hope I didn't offend you with my response, I don't have a sense of humor so sometimes trying to be funny doesn't come our right. One of the reasons I want to run in the rain is for experience. My srt is also my daily driver and I'd like to know where it's edges are when driving in water.
No offense taken. I was just giving me opinion based on a few close calls I've had and just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

A lot of water and rain on course yesterday. Took Tom's advice and ran normal pressures. The GS D3's handled really well. Had to be careful with throttle through the turns and coming out of, but I'm really impressed with the handleing of the car and tires in water. It also doesn't hurt when you finish first That's 2 events in a row, but I know the fast guys haven't shown up yet

Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular

I drive through the backwoods of WV to pick up my daughter through out the year and in the rain going around those corners are ruff but not unmanageable. I believe thats why I want to race so bad on a road course if its anything like driving through WV mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. not the highway routs though can do that anywhere the only time i have problems driving there is in the winter and on the inside turns over some mountains they don't salt the road so watter accumulates then freezes as black ice so yea got to slow wayyyy down and the tail end still whips around some (traction control, traction control, traction control) ohh and at that time i had aroud 3/5 less air then stock but there stock now havent seeen much difference though

Last edited by Eric; 03-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.