Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.

Hey Cruzin, don't believe dragtimes web calculator on the altitude of Quaker City's track. They have it listed at 955. It's actually 1,240, which is darn near exactly the elevation of Thompson Drag Raceway listed at 1,230.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racefan has it listed at 1300', which has been pretty accurate. Using that and the same conditions your DA was approx 1868'. Brings your time to 12.716 @ 109.82. Their calculator is great for ball park figures, but you can't beat the accuracy of the Performaire PA2. I've seen DA change 100' in a matter of minutes. The worst it gets the slower you go. Work out your bugs and get ready when that track has low temps and low humidity. It will be faster then my track. I'm at 1250' even though dragtimes has it listed at 1470'. Now I have never in the 2 years since I had my portable weather station seen it below 1800'. My DA this past friday night was 3736'.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Three small things that can mess up your pass(es)

1) Was the ESP/TC off?

2) Was the transmission in "S" mode.......not "W"?

3) Did you launch the car in 1st gear.......not "D"?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
Three small things that can mess up your pass(es)

1) Was the ESP/TC off?

2) Was the transmission in "S" mode.......not "W"?

3) Did you launch the car in 1st gear.......not "D"?
i agree on all 3 questions, although i remember your car being in S when rode in it

ok, the datalog look salright, it seems that from 5500+ though your going rich and we can squeeze out more power there safely. also the 60ft's arent bad for the first time on slicks but i want to see you cutting mid 1.7's with those meats! the car felt great when you were up here and took me for a ride. what pressure were the slicks at? we start at 18psi, if hooks good and we cut 1.7's we leave them there, if we spin we drop to 16psi, if hooks leave them there, if spins then drop to 14-15psi and thats the lowest i am willing to go with them. lower will help the launch but hurt all other aspects of the pass and safety. mph is generally lowered when runnign slicks but 109mph says she wasnt as happy as she could be.

if i pull this throttle body assembly off our spare motor and fedex it over are you willing to swap it in and see if that cures the IAC CEL? it shoudl be very easy to swap out, IIRC 2 wire clips and 4 bolts (going to be torx im sure)

btw, i think the dashdaq has an update for a quicker refresh rate, ill dig into it and link ya if i find an update for that as the DD logs show the rpm's dragging out.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer Tom... That sure is a heck of a lot mod$ to install on your SRT6 and then run worse then stock with such great DA.....

Did you do a before and after Dyno?

Hope you get the bugs ironed out....

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Thanks guys. Being in tech support, I appreciate the need to ask the "dummy" questions. Yes, the TC was off. Yes, I was in S not W. And I was in 1 for the first three runs, and D for the fourth. I realized that I had it in D when I hit the slow down area. Ooops. You can see that it didn't make much difference.

Rob:
Sure, I'd be willing to swap out my throttle body. It's right on top, so it shouldn't be hard to remove. Four bolts and a couple clips - no problem. Thanks!

I didn't see any updates on the dashdaq site. That would be nice if it updated quicker. I was a little disappointed with the logs when I dug into them for that reason.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well Tom, now that you're slow, I'll race you in my modded NA.....

Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Before you start unbolting stuff send back your ecu for an update. Maybe somehow your still on your original tune? Send in your datalogs and let them fine tune an average of all your runs. If it comes back the same then start swapping parts. It should be night and day difference.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Well Tom, now that you're slow, I'll race you in my modded NA.....
That's just cold hearted!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
That's just cold hearted!
Well, you know FP. He's a swell guy!

He'll still lose though.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

There is a saying amoung older racers," make one change at a time"
saying this i would remove all your mods except one and see if your time improves,, if yes add another retest if no take that one off and put another retest,,,here example you put pully, 103oct.race gass,, and drag radials and go slower than stock,, maybe the tires are too tall,, maybe the belt is slipping on the pully,, or maybe the gas is too hot for your stock engine,, now go back and put only the tires on retest, you went faster,, then add the pully, retest you went faster,, now add the race gas retest, you slowed down, it's the gas this is why we add one mod at a time. good luck jim

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Since when is 12.xx slow? My slow 13.074 was hard to get and I've learned how little it takes to go slower and how perfect things have to be to go faster. You haven't gotten a faster time because the transmission is shifting early from 1-2 and 2-3. The question is why. The AFR looks good except it's a little rich at the top. The timing looks good too. I think the tune is real close to optimal. It must be associated with the code the computer is throwing. Figure that out and let us know. I'm headed to the track as soon as the rain stops. I don't have high hopes for a good time, but only because the tires can't hold the horsepower! I'll be playing with tire pressures and going real low if necessary, in hopes of traction.

Les

Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom, since you are going to US41 with me on the 30th, we should have time to work on the launch, tire pressure issue here before we leave...I won't guess as to the problem until I see you and the engine. If not leaks, everything installed to specs, then I would guess a tune problem, which the guys at the track can help you with...but had you and I not played at the Dragon, my guess is launch, tire pressure right now...car was sounding and feeling good...just got to let her rip...burn those tires baby....question for Rob...did you see his rpms per gear....was he above 6K????

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

In post No. 8 Tom posted the data logs from the strip. Very interesting. I'm fascinated because I have a Dashdaq too and have a reference. I see the similarities and differences of a tune versus not having one. I also have a log of Rob (thanks) Help him out Oledoc2. I think whatever it is, its a simple fix. Something thats soooo obvious that its invisible to us.

Les

Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

with your mods, you should NOT be throwing codes.

something is not installed correctly.

put it in 1st instead of drive and then floor it without manually shifting. see if this let 's you go past 4400rpm.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom, were you at Quaker City Friday night? I went by around 8:30 PM on my way to pick up my Wife at the Pittsburgh Airport.
I drove by real slow, (checking out the staging lanes) and I didn't see ya.
I did see about 30 people staring back at my car as I drove by though.
Sorry to hear about your car not running better, I guess this means you won't let me find anymore lost bolts for ya huh?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Tom, were you at Quaker City Friday night? I went by around 8:30 PM on my way to pick up my Wife at the Pittsburgh Airport.
I drove by real slow, (checking out the staging lanes) and I didn't see ya.
I did see about 30 people staring back at my car as I drove by though.
Sorry to hear about your car not running better, I guess this means you won't let me find anymore lost bolts for ya huh?
Yeah, I was there! I wish you'd have stopped in, but then you'd have been late to get Barb. At 8:30 we might have been waiting for the first two rounds of the bracket racing to finish so they would call test and tune again.

Somebody's got to help me find those darn bolts. I've got butter fingers and they keep falling down into the pit of no return!. You're welcome to help out with my car anytime.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by j-fire

put it in 1st instead of drive and then floor it without manually shifting. see if this let 's you go past 4400rpm.
It was in 1st and I let the tranny do all the shifting.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:26 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Since when is 12.xx slow?
It's not. It's just not fast enough!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Update:

I went to a car show (Liverpool, NY) with a race day yesterday. So I got to race at ESTA Safety Park Dragstrip. I only got in three runs as it was a busy weekend at the track - holiday and all.

Not much new to report: I did manage to beat my record from last season by .06 seconds! I guess that's all I get for having drag tires and some nifty new mods.

The logs are attached - time slips are to follow. Remember to rename the log files from .TXT to .CSV before you try to read them. It appears that I still have the same early shifting problem in 1-2 and 2-3.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
srt6_0008.txt (341.1 KB, 14 views)
srt6_0009.txt (309.1 KB, 3 views)
srt6_0010.txt (400.1 KB, 6 views)

Quick Reply: Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.