Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Any autocross tips?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any autocross tips?

This is my 4th season autocrossing now, but only my 2nd with the XF, and the last season I barely raced it.

Now I have a few questions.

ESP fuses- should I pull them? Why or why not? Does it really do anything else that the switch doesn't do? Will I void my warranty (e.g. the ecu might freak out or something)?

Rims- I'm looking for a set of stock base or limited rims to put some rubber on, but are there any other rims out there that have the same dimensions and offsets as the OEMs?

Tires- What do you recommend? I've looked on tire rack and found no R-compounds for the XF, but I did find these: Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

I'll have to check to see if they are legal per SCCA regulations, but what do you think? (Also, if you already know if they are, letting me know would be good too.)

Any other tips? I'm staying in my stock class, but I have considered racing on R-compounds, obviously.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Any autocross tips?

I turned off the yaw sensor with an add on switch. Traction control is also off. I went to 18 wheels so that I can rotate the tires for wear life.

I have added adjustable shocks, set really tight, plus motor goodies for more bottom end with LOTS of cooling to keep it all running at the high revs.

Woody

PULLING FUSES IS DUMB UNLESS YOU WANNA CRASH CAUSE THE ABS IS NOW OFF...........

Last edited by waldig; 04-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Any autocross tips?

Originally Posted by waldig
I turned off the yaw sensor with an add on switch. Traction control is also off. I went to 18 wheels so that I can rotate the tires for wear life.

I have added adjustable shocks, set really tight, plus motor goodies for more bottom end with LOTS of cooling to keep it all running at the high revs.

Woody

PULLING FUSES IS DUMB UNLESS YOU WANNA CRASH CAUSE THE ABS IS NOW OFF...........
I was under the impression that I would only pull the two 40 amps labeled "Electronic Stability Program", not the SEPARATE one that has the ABS and other things on it. I was also pretty sure that the XF's ESP/TC isn't active to the point where it messes with the brakes, or I would have noticed. I think you also failed to notice that I said I wanted to say in the stock category, which means no modifications.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 04-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Forum Regular

You can run rcomps with SCCA and stay in your stock class. I run Hoosiers and TireRack sells them. Here's the sizes I run:

Front 285/30/18 with 5mm spacers (also legal up to 1/4" which I think is about 10mm), but you might need to shave a bolt on the upper inside of each front wheel well for the rubber to clear. Youll find it quick when it leaves a groove on the inside shoulder of the tire
If you go with a spacer wider than 5mm, you may not need to shave the bolt.

Rear size is 295/30/19 No rubbing issues at all

My tire shop raised their eyebrows when they saw that big meat going onto narrows rims, but they got 'em on there and I've had no problems with racing them.

I have an SRT6 and I mounted the Hoosiers on some NA wheels that a friend gave me.

I ran 2 seasons in the stock class then modded the car and currently run SSM

I've done nothing to alter the traction control other than switching it off in the cockpit. No problems so far with it interfering.

The first stock legal mod I did was to install Porterfield brake pads. Check my sig for the model type. No brake dust and better stopping power.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Forum Regular

I may try to use those Potenza's, seeing that I have no way to transport an extra set of wheels to the event site and I can drive on those to it.

Has anyone pulled the ESP fuses before? I've heard that the switch only turns off the TC partially, and that the STM stays on.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
I may try to use those Potenza's, seeing that I have no way to transport an extra set of wheels to the event site
Hmmm, I do it. No trailers involved, no additional vehicles to carry my crap and I don't drive on my Hoosiers to the event.
I dunno, maybe my SRT is bigger than your NA

Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wedge
Front 285/30/18 with 5mm spacers (also legal up to 1/4" which I think is about 10mm), but you might need to shave a bolt on the upper inside of each front wheel well for the rubber to clear. Youll find it quick when it leaves a groove on the inside shoulder of the tire
If you go with a spacer wider than 5mm, you may not need to shave the bolt.
1/4 inch is like 6.38mm, so 10mm is not legal in stock class. With a 1/4 inch spacer up front on stock wheels you can run the 285/30/18 with no rubbing but the upper a-arm bolt WILL rub if you only use a 5mm or less spacer.

You can fit up to a 315 on the back of the car without rubbing but there is no point unless you have a ton of mods on your car because my 05 coupe had no issues at all putting power down on the 295 and anything larger would just make the car understeer more.

When looking for tires on the TR website don't search through the car go to tires and search by brand. The car is decently fun to autocross and plenty competitive in DS.

There are a few threads in this forum where I did full write ups on setup for autocrossing the car in stock. So you could probably find them by searching.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wedge
Hmmm, I do it. No trailers involved, no additional vehicles to carry my crap and I don't drive on my Hoosiers to the event.
I dunno, maybe my SRT is bigger than your NA
Maybe? Lol.

In all honesty, my girlfriend is most likely going to co-drive with me this season. I instructed her at an autocross school this past weekend and now she's hooked. She's not too bad at it either. Problem is that she doesn't have a car of her own, so no transporting extra wheels.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soloIIracer
1/4 inch is like 6.38mm, so 10mm is not legal in stock class. With a 1/4 inch spacer up front on stock wheels you can run the 285/30/18 with no rubbing but the upper a-arm bolt WILL rub if you only use a 5mm or less spacer.

You can fit up to a 315 on the back of the car without rubbing but there is no point unless you have a ton of mods on your car because my 05 coupe had no issues at all putting power down on the 295 and anything larger would just make the car understeer more.

When looking for tires on the TR website don't search through the car go to tires and search by brand. The car is decently fun to autocross and plenty competitive in DS.

There are a few threads in this forum where I did full write ups on setup for autocrossing the car in stock. So you could probably find them by searching.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I never thought the front could fit such wide tires. What's the width of the OE tires? It seems almost impossible or dangerous to mount such wide tires on the stock rims.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM

I have been starting to follow this forum in anticipation of my fiance' giving me the rights to her X-fire. I now have access to the keys and driving (racing) rites. Being a roadracer for years on motorcycles, I find that now in my fifties I should stop dragging my knees in the corners and try something with the same aderaline rush but less body impact.

Is anyone solo or SCCA racing a X-fire in New England area? I might try to get up to Ayer Mass where I have heard they do solo...

Mark