Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Found my car on youtube

Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Found my car on youtube

We have an event this weekend so I was watching videos from Salinas when I found this video. It's of the Solocross event in Salinas Puerto Rico in April, 2011. I was racing with the cutouts open ..... that's why you can hear the car. This was with the cut SRT springs and Forgestars. I hope you find it interesting.

Les

YouTube - ‪Solo cross april 2011‬‏

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Found my car on youtube

is that the same as Bahia Salinas? I was there a number of years ago and loved the place. I believe the town next to it was Cabo Rojo? I was supposed to meet a girl there and somehow missed each other. dang!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 PM

The speedway is 5 minutes from the southern coast. Once, my wife came to the races, once, and afterwards we ate at a restaurant with a deck extended over the water. For me it was a prefect day, for her it was only a perfect meal.

Les

Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 PM

must be near the same place Les. the resort had a pool that ran the full length of the resort. There was a light house on the point. I was doing a documentary in PR for the Learning Channel what a great time I had. Met a girl from Columbia in a place called Casa Cubuy, and I went back 6 months later for 10 days of one of the best memories of my life. Love the Puerto Rican people and the country. Food awesome, people more so. Ate a dish called Mofungo, don't ask. I speak moderate Spanish at best. the biker bar I was in and a guy there was from NJ. he negotiated the price with the owner, and I paid him and his table off with beer! Good deal for everybody.

We also went up by Arecibo and I got on film interviewing the director. interesting stuff. Again, for alot of reasons, the best memories of my life!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM

What can I say, P.R. is unique in many ways. If you ever come back down give me a hollar. If the timing is right I'll give you a ride around a track.

Les

Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM

I would love to come back, Les, and I'll be sure to look you up. It was in 2001 when I was there and Crossie's were in somebody's dream at that time, and now look where we are!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I was wondering what our cars would sound like with the cut outs...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smooth driving and your SRT sounds bad as$...

Track looks like a blast...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks guys. Rob has a link on his website of my car at another track with the cutouts open, you should check it out. The locals compare the sound to one of those offshore racing cigar boats.

Les

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have electric cutouts attached to Rob's downpipes or are you removing the covers yourself?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM

I had the "manual" cutouts with the studs and nuts. I don't have them anymore ...... on the car, well, the back half is on the car.

Les

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I had the "manual" cutouts with the studs and nuts. I don't have them anymore ...... on the car, well, the back half is on the car.

Les
HUH??? Why did you remove the front half from your car? PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM

I couldn't keep them with the headers, that's all. And then, it was cheaper to cut them and use the back half than fabricate with stainless to mate to the resonator. The cutouts were great. I had a buyer for the cutouts (sorry) but after the "estimate" it was more economical to section them. Rob offered to build a rear section for me ....... we all say it from time to time but Rob is a HERO to Crossfire owners, what a guy, but time constraints said no. Open headers to stock resonator back was 7 hp loss. What would you like to know about the cutouts?

Les

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM

I couldn't keep them with the headers, that's all. And then, it was cheaper to cut them and use the back half than fabricate with stainless to mate to the resonator. The cutouts were great. I had a buyer for the cutouts (sorry) but after the "estimate" it was more economical to section them. Rob offered to build a rear section for me ....... we all say it from time to time but Rob is a HERO to Crossfire owners, what a guy, but time constraints said no. Open headers to stock resonator back was 7 hp loss. What would you like to know about the cutouts?

Les
I was just wondering if you'd used electric cutouts with them or stuck with the manual openings. I think I'll just keep it simple also. I have a set on the way.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM

The exhaust is cool enough after 10 minutes to remove the nuts. It can be done immediately with gloves or lots of care. I jacked up one side, slid a jack stand in place and was able to reach both. (cardboard to lie on) Getting rid of the cats makes a big difference. The open cutouts resulted in higher mph but not faster times in the 1/4. Don't ask me why. I decided it was because the ECU didn't have time to adapt but I don't really know.

Les

BTW, no codes with the downpipes or cutouts. I passed inspection catless the first year. The second year it was too dirty at idle and I had to try several times. I'm getting a P0161 with the headers. I'm thinking I only need to clean the connections to solve the problem.

Last edited by velociabstract; 04-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM

The exhaust is cool enough after 10 minutes to remove the nuts. It can be done immediately with gloves or lots of care. I jacked up one side, slid a jack stand in place and was able to reach both. (cardboard to lie on) Getting rid of the cats makes a big difference. The open cutouts resulted in higher mph but not faster times in the 1/4. Don't ask me why. I decided it was because the ECU didn't have time to adapt but I don't really know.

Les

BTW, no codes with the downpipes or cutouts. I passed inspection catless the first year. The second year it was too dirty at idle and I had to try several times. I'm getting a P0161 with the headers. I'm thinking I only need to clean the connections to solve the problem.

Thanks for the info, Les.