Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

My latest track day

Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default My latest track day

My friend that stores and delivers my track tires had an emergency. No Hoosiers. So I'm paid in full, on my daily tires and stock rims, all taped up and in front of a huge crowd. Well, they're round, made of rubber, just skinny and slick, whatchagonnado. Stock size 225's and 255's. (Yokohama AD08) Braking distance diminished but not so bad. Turn in speed greatly diminished. Exit speed, I don't know if it's the new power or street tires but I had to wait a painfully long time to reach WOT. The balance of the car didn't change, just the limits. In the esses of death I could feel and hear the rear tires go from eeeee to arrrrrrrr a few times. BTW that's what they do when letting go completely. Interesting at 80. I caught and had a little fun with a Subaru race car. That thing really got off the corners well, I have some 4 wheel drive envy. He was four wheel drifting in all the curves. I was impressed with his daring ... and control. Later I found out who was driving. Local pro whos parts didn’t arrive for his race car and was sharing time in the Suby. The show was so good I hated to pass him. Did it anyway.

I pulled my cooling fan as an experiment to see if the car runs cooler sans fan. Very little difference until the traffic jam entering the pits. It got real hot then! One question answered!

My times. 1:09.4 was my best lap. Previous best lap on street tires was 1:07.9 but with 255’s and 285’s on the car with my track rims. The track rims have a wider track too. I was the second fastest car that ran track time this weekend and that’s what counts.

Crossfire effect. I lost my voice from talking to admirers of the car. Everyone came over to see what it was, who was driving, how much horsepower (guesses were over 500 hp) what tires, modifications, etc. Since I usually participate on Saturdays (less track traffic and no public) and not on Sundays, I got lots of attention from Crossfire first timers.

I didn’t test the TCU. Too much traffic and I needed to concentrate on that until I can learn when to shift without looking at the tachometer. I plan on putting it through it’s paces on the 3rd. of November.

Jerry sent me a 96 octane tune but I was concearned with the AFR’s so he sent a revised one. On track AFR’s were 11.6 to 12.2. Nice and safe. I’m going back to the leaner tune for the November event.

All in all a good weekend.

Les

Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: My latest track day

Very thorough as always Les. Love reading about your adventure's! Hilarious on the subbie too, "The show was so good I hated to pass him. Did it anyway." Had me dying from laughing lol.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Les but without video this post is useless lol

Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to the track the other night and watched some sprint car racing. I lot of the guys around here are into that sort of thing. I used to hang out in my younger days at the dirt track, hoping some day to get in there, never worked out...30 yrs later, on asphalt, short track over 120 mph, they have come along way... Keep up the good work Les...

Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a video. It's not all that exciting for several reasons. I was running without the cooling fan and every couple of laps I'd slow down to get a good look at the dashdaq. (I'm blind and can't see it) Yes, the temperature gauge showed normal but my experience is it doesn't move much at all until 235º to 240º. First time on stock size street tires in 2 years at least. Sloooowe traffic. Lots of new holes in the track so I took lines to avoid the worst ones. Lot's of cheap excuses. If those aren't enough I'll come up with some more. In the mean time, I'll think about editing out the boring parts and posting it.

Les