Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

fun, street racing, seriously fast and death

Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fun, street racing, seriously fast and death

I am troubled by a recent series of posts I came across on a Jaguar site. A regular contributor and true enthusiast with an S-type R (supercharged V8 in midsized performance sedan) seems to have felt the need to demonstrate his Jaguar was faster than a Subaru WRX on a city street. It is an old story but the lessons are still valid.

The problem is both these cars (and SRT 6's) are seriously fast. I am not sure who was winning when the Jaguar, flipping end over end, ran head on into the lady in the Hyundai but we can be sure its driver and the lady were the losers.

As a car guy (and an old one) I have owned many performance cars, none more fun than my Myer's Manx type dune buggy and Fiat 850 Spyder (both of which I would drive flat out right up to their 60-70 mph top speeds) nor as fast as my modified SRT 6.

Things can get serious quickly with these cars. It is not always about ones own driving abilities. The unexpected can happen quicker than reaction times and laws of physics permit corrections for.

Be careful out there. The roads are shared.

RIP "Riski" Joe - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 11-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: fun, street racing, seriously fast and death

I think that is near Valks area..... things can happen when you are racing like that. Better to do those things off road on a track, or at least a controlled area. Probably won't know what really happened until the crash scene guys reconstruct it. I have lost friends to street racing. It happens, and everyone knows the risk. when younger I had some close calls. Not from me but the other guy. You are close together on the street... Sad day for those families. Everyone stay safe and chose safe places to play....

Old 11-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: fun, street racing, seriously fast and death

Something to consider (for those that get tempted by a challenge on the street) is getting to your nearest track; even if it's a 2 to 3 hr. drive. I don't have drag race track experience, but know that there are many promoters out there these days that provide great and safe track days. I've found that getting to the track(road racing) just 2 or 3 times a year(what I can afford) allows me to get the NEED FOR SPEED out of me. I know that it's probably easier for me to say this now at my age, because I've either slowed down a little or gotten a little wiser(probably both). The price for a track day is FAR less than the cost of getting caught,or worse, losing it on the street! As mentioned previously; Be careful out there.