Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)

Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)

My best friend got his 2005 SLK 350 about a month ago. So last night we go to an abandon road to run our cars. I have a 2004 Manual Xfire stock.

We went off the line. I was surprised on how the Xfire performed against the SLK. The SLK 350 is doing 0-60 at 5.4 sec and 1/4 mile at 13.8. I jumped on him and stuck with him till I got to 4th gear then he pulled on me.

I had traction control off of-course. He was on comfort setting and using the auto-stick. I have driven the SLK on sport setting and it picks up better.

My best friend was very surprised on how the Xfire did or disapointed on how his car performed LOL.

We are gonna do this again in a few weeks with him on sport and me getting the K&N filters.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Default Re: Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)

Well now isnt that interesting, all the hype about how much better this car was... we had exactly the same experience a month ago, except we were test driving the SLK, we got the distinct impression it was sluggish and had very little more to offer ..except for the additional $20k price tag.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Cool Re: Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)

Originally Posted by XfireAce
My best friend got his 2005 SLK 350 about a month ago. So last night we go to an abandon road to run our cars. I have a 2004 Manual Xfire stock.

We went off the line. I was surprised on how the Xfire performed against the SLK. The SLK 350 is doing 0-60 at 5.4 sec and 1/4 mile at 13.8. I jumped on him and stuck with him till I got to 4th gear then he pulled on me.

I had traction control off of-course. He was on comfort setting and using the auto-stick. I have driven the SLK on sport setting and it picks up better.

My best friend was very surprised on how the Xfire did or disapointed on how his car performed LOL.

We are gonna do this again in a few weeks with him on sport and me getting the K&N filters.

Love that mean-a.. Xfire image.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
17427oh.jpg (8.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 AM

I've had a few runs with SLK350s and they are a bit quicker in my opinion. Handling on them is much better than 'our' generation.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for 20k more i'd have a SRT6 and eat him for lunch !

Get your ECU chipped and kick SLK butt.

The new auto stick in the SLK has more speeds but I think your friend didn't shift to first ! That would make him sluggish off the line ! and if he didn't shift it maually then he would have to pin it to the floor !That's a least a half a click right there!

Last edited by Dan Root; 03-25-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Well for 20k more i'd have a SRT6 and eat him for lunch !

Get your ECU chipped and kick SLK butt.

The new auto stick in the SLK has more speeds but I think your friend didn't shift to first ! That would make him sluggish off the line ! and if he didn't shift it maually then he would have to pin it to the floor !That's a least a half a click right there!
So are you saying dan with a chip the crossfire will run mid-high 13's? Please Redcross i think it was ran a 14.3@94 with an exhaust a hella tune and filters. That trap speed is weak as hell. The SLK350 is trapping in the triple digits.

On a note wait till that Mercedes Benz breaks in more, i noticed my crossfire got quicker after time.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 PM

I've got both cars. 2004 Crossfire 6 speed and 2005 SLK 350 with 7G autostick with standard suspension. Once broken in a bit, like Bullseye said, acceleration will be a bit better from the Merc. It is a tight engine at the outset and needs some run in time. A basic point to remember, the Merc is a hard top convertible and I suspect has a bit of a weight disadvantage to the Crossfire. On the otherhand, the Merc is 268 horsepower to the Crossfire's stock 215 rating. I cant drive both cars at once for a direct comparison, but the Merc is faster at the end of an on-ramp that I use for fun. I shift gears by hand, and I do make sure it is in 1st at the start, otherwise too much ramp up time is spent in second. Without a doubt it handles better than the Crosfire. The new standard suspension is great and the staggered tire sizes really help. I have heard that the Merc's sport suspension option is a bit harsher in ride, but handles even better than the standard package. You get what you pay for. The Crossfire is a great ride. The Merc is automotive engineering pushed to an extreme. Chipping the Crossfire is not going to make up the horse power difference. It might optimize shift points, but the 7G is a lot different trans than the auto Crossfire has, so you would still be at a loss in timing. I enjoy both cars. Kusheen, this is the reason I did not go after the Lotus in La Jolla. Got enough toys at present.
Rgds to all.
Chris

Last edited by cwdilg; 03-26-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spell Checker
Old 03-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by cwdilg
I've got both cars. 2004 Crossfire 6 speed and 2005 SLK 350 with 7G autostick with standard suspension. Once broken in a bit, like Bullseye said, acceleration will be a bit better from the Merc. It is a tight engine at the outset and needs some run in time. A basic point to remember, the Merc is a hard top convertible and I suspect has a bit of a weight disadvantage to the Crossfire. On the otherhand, the Merc is 268 horsepower to the Crossfire's stock 215 rating. I cant drive both cars at once for a direct comparison, but the Merc is faster at the end of an on-ramp that I use for fun. I shift gears by hand, and I do make sure it is in 1st at the start, otherwise too much ramp up time is spent in second. Without a doubt it handles better than the Crosfire. The new standard suspension is great and the staggered tire sizes really help. I have heard that the Merc's sport suspension option is a bit harsher in ride, but handles even better than the standard package. You get what you pay for. The Crossfire is a great ride. The Merc is automotive engineering pushed to an extreme. Chipping the Crossfire is not going to make up the horse power difference. It might optimize shift points, but the 7G is a lot different trans than the auto Crossfire has, so you would still be at a loss in timing. I enjoy both cars. Kusheen, this is the reason I did not go after the Lotus in La Jolla. Got enough toys at present.
Rgds to all.
Chris
Becareful there CW, you are agreeing with me, and saying the crossfire is not the best. 2 looked down upon choices. Prepare to get flamed by others.:-)

Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)

Originally Posted by Bullseye
So are you saying dan with a chip the crossfire will run mid-high 13's? Please Redcross i think it was ran a 14.3@94 with an exhaust a hella tune and filters. That trap speed is weak as hell. The SLK350 is trapping in the triple digits.

On a note wait till that Mercedes Benz breaks in more, i noticed my crossfire got quicker after time.
All I know is not many people pass me EVER !
and Redcross loves his car but I'm leasing and I put it down all the way !
And that maybe from dead start not already rolling down the road the Crossfire can hold it's own !

Last edited by Dan Root; 03-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 AM

Well, let's see... If I put the $20,000 - $25,000 extra cash it would take to get a 2005 SLK 350, into the XF, I'm pretty sure I could blow the SLK off the map.

Last edited by xfuego; 03-28-2005 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by xfuego
Well, let's see... If I put the $20,000 - $25,000 extra cash it would take to get a 2005 SLK 350, into the XF, I'm pretty sure I could blow the SLK off the map.
ANd I could put less than half that into my srt-4, and blow the SRT-6 and SLK55 off the map, what is your point?

Not being able to afford one, is not a good way of justifying its not worth the cash.

SLK350>Crossfire

Old 03-28-2005, 08:57 PM

ANd I could put less than half that into my srt-4, and blow the SRT-6 and SLK55 off the map, what is your point?

Not being able to afford one, is not a good way of justifying its not worth the cash.

SLK350>Crossfire
Are you SURE your IQ is above 100? Those numbers after the decimal point don't count, OK? That would be 18 (18.1) not 181.

The POINT is, the LARGE extra cost to gain a LITTLE extra power doesn't seem justifiable. The difference in power of the XF and the SLK vs the difference in price is out of line. For a lot less money than it would take to buy the SLK, you have a XF with the same power. But that concept is lost on you because you keep that stupid assed idea that that ugly little egg beater is such hot sh*t. I don't care if you dropped a 454 in that Neon, it'd still look like hammered dog turds.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

STRAIGHT LINES ? You guys are driving straight lines with a Crossfire ? GEEZE !

Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
STRAIGHT LINES ? You guys are driving straight lines with a Crossfire ? GEEZE !

Amazing!!! Of course they manage to keep their tires ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Are you SURE your IQ is above 100? Those numbers after the decimal point don't count, OK? That would be 18 (18.1) not 181.

The POINT is, the LARGE extra cost to gain a LITTLE extra power doesn't seem justifiable. The difference in power of the XF and the SLK vs the difference in price is out of line. For a lot less money than it would take to buy the SLK, you have a XF with the same power. But that concept is lost on you because you keep that stupid assed idea that that ugly little egg beater is such hot sh*t. I don't care if you dropped a 454 in that Neon, it'd still look like hammered dog turds.
Again with the personal attacks, you are just trying to justify why you didn't buy one. I'm saying even if the crossfire got the extra 50hp needed, I would still rather have the slk350, it is the nicer car. Granted the neon isnt the best looking car, but you would get acquainted
with my rear taillights very quickly. I guess you can say the dog turd hammered you. Guess its bad to lose to a car that is half the price, but a ugly cheap car thats even worse. Sucks to be you.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:05 AM

Oh , to be young and STUPID again... You really do have a difficult time understanding even simple concepts. Nobody buys an XF for sheer power. That's not the pull. It's the combination of great aesthetics, decent power, decent handling, etc... for a pretty decent price. If it was ONLY about power, I'd have bought a beater and maxed it out. If it was ONLY about style, I'd have bought a Bentley. But, see, your still so focused on crap that doesn't mean anything to most of the people who've bought one of these. Dumbass kid... Like so many other idiots. You think because your girlfriend has the biggest ****, that makes her the best woman around. Those of us who've actually lived awhile, know it's more than that. But, look who I'm talking to. Perhaps that sort of thing is too far above your head to grasp. You'll be one of those guys that at 50 walking around with a mega comb-over, wearing lot's of jewelry dragging an overweight ex stripper with you thinking your some hot sh*t badass.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 AM

Oh , to be young and STUPID again... You really do have a difficult time understanding even simple concepts. Nobody buys an XF for sheer power. That's not the pull. It's the combination of great aesthetics, decent power, decent handling, etc... for a pretty decent price. If it was ONLY about power, I'd have bought a beater and maxed it out. If it was ONLY about style, I'd have bought a Bentley. But, see, your still so focused on crap that doesn't mean anything to most of the people who've bought one of these. Dumbass kid... Like so many other idiots. You think because your girlfriend has the biggest ****, that makes her the best woman around. Those of us who've actually lived awhile, know it's more than that. But, look who I'm talking to. Perhaps that sort of thing is too far above your head to grasp. You'll be one of those guys that at 50 walking around with a mega comb-over, wearing lot's of jewelry dragging an overweight ex stripper with you thinking your some hot sh*t badass.

I think you just described him better than anyone......... But you're right, he won't get it NOW or 30 YEARS from now, They never do........................

Old 03-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I agree with what you say, but then why did you even bring up for the extra 15-20k blah blah blah. When I think of you the word, tool, comes to mind. And no you wouldnt have bought a Bentley because you simply just can't afford one. And I said even if the crossfire was modded to make it faster than the slk350, i would still rather have the slk350. I think you are running out of ideas, so you are just repeating yourself over again. So you see me at 50 like you are now? I think not. I won't be a 50 year old wannabe biker *** hat arguing with a kid less than half his age. Never expected your wife to be that fat stripper though. I just assumed you were gay.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 AM

I agree with what you say, but then why did you even bring up for the extra 15-20k blah blah blah. When I think of you the word, tool, comes to mind. And no you wouldnt have bought a Bentley because you simply just can't afford one. And I said even if the crossfire was modded to make it faster than the slk350, i would still rather have the slk350. I think you are running out of ideas, so you are just repeating yourself over again. So you see me at 50 like you are now? I think not. I won't be a 50 year old wannabe biker *** hat arguing with a kid less than half his age. Never expected your wife to be that fat stripper though. I just assumed you were gay.
Out of the mouths of babes. Incomprehensible gibberish. 1st of all, dumbass, The point was and still is, for the xtra $25 k you don't get that much more car. The XF is just as, if not more, better looking than the MB SLK, with nearly as good power. For a helluva lot less, the XF would not only match it,or excede it in style, it could match or excede it in power as well. I have to repeat it because you're too fu*king stupid to understand that point.

Secondly, you have no idea what I can and cannot afford, Buttwipe. I assure you, I have all the hair I've ever had, no fat ex-stripper and I am for damn sure, no wannabe, *******. Perhaps someone in that circle of idiot friends you say you have (because, right now, I actually think you're pimple faced, socially inept, loner 14 year old dweeb with an active imagination and stunted intellect playing make believe with the adults) what a 1%er is. Once you find that out, I'll direct you to the clubhouse in your area and you can go explain to them your uncle's fantasy about what candy asses you seem to think we are, then, if you can, come back and tell us how that worked out for you. SYLS SFFS - Jolly Roger 1%er SMC 88-04 ret.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Out of the mouths of babes. Incomprehensible gibberish. 1st of all, dumbass, The point was and still is, for the xtra $25 k you don't get that much more car. The XF is just as, if not more, better looking than the MB SLK, with nearly as good power. For a helluva lot less, the XF would not only match it,or excede it in style, it could match or excede it in power as well. I have to repeat it because you're too fu*king stupid to understand that point.

Secondly, you have no idea what I can and cannot afford, Buttwipe. I assure you, I have all the hair I've ever had, no fat ex-stripper and I am for damn sure, no wannabe, *******. Perhaps someone in that circle of idiot friends you say you have (because, right now, I actually think you're pimple faced, socially inept, loner 14 year old dweeb with an active imagination and stunted intellect playing make believe with the adults) what a 1%er is. Once you find that out, I'll direct you to the clubhouse in your area and you can go explain to them your uncle's fantasy about what candy asses you seem to think we are, then, if you can, come back and tell us how that worked out for you. SYLS SFFS - Jolly Roger 1%er SMC 88-04 ret.
For it being "incomprehensible gibberish" you sure were able to respond to every part of it, tool. I have seen your point, and it means nothing to me. I would still rather have the SLK350. And to get the 25k diff, you would have to compare a base or used crossfire to a new slk350 at sticker. You really should compare the 40k stickered XF roadster and the 46k SLK350. The 6k is well worth the damn difference. Even if you put all the incentives into it. 99 out of 100 would take a SLK350 over the crossfire roadster. And their performance is not similiar at all, the slk350 runs well into the 13's and handles as good or better than a SRT-6 with out the harsh ride. It would take all that money plus your warranty to make the crossfire comparable to the SLK350. Don't knock down other cars because you are stuck into your lil' money pit of a crossfire. Personally, I think you just like repeating yourself, because you think it makes you sound intelligent.

So let me get this now, not only are you a wannabe biker, who thinks he is a bad ***.LOL You are one of those who can afford a bently? My ***, and you just settled with the crossfire right. ROFL. Just because you own a small cc harley doesnt make you a biker. Also, just because you leased a crossfire for 259/mo doesnt make you rich. Sounds like someone has been watching too much Easy Rider. Time to get back to reality, your fat ex-stripper wife, for some reason or another is missing you. Maybe she just misses making fun of your lame ***, and having affairs while you are coherent and not on the bottle.

Quick Reply: Crossfire VS 2005 SLK 350(non-AMG)