Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Sorry, but I didn't feel like searching and besides, this is pretty important! Over in the other forum that I've been a member of for almost 6 years now (www.contour.org) I've been having some heated/semi-serious conversations about beating a Contour SVT in the quarter mile. In stock trim they are supposed to run 15.4-15.7 at 87-88 mph. I know our cars are said to run 14.9 at 96 mph, but even with an exhaust/CAI I don't expect to lose. I didn't buy the car to drag race, especially with its tallish gearing (3.25), but I plan on kicking some *** in April. I'd like to know what you guys with Crossfires w/6 spd run, and when you post it, tell me what you've done as far as mods because all I have is the Magnaflow muffler, thanks guys!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Default Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Did you see my thread from 2 days ago??

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=9851

Old 03-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

I guess my question is this, what should I realistically expect to run in the quarter mile? Also, I know to turn off the T/C, but what's the best rpm to launch a stick car at? I've never dragged a stick car in my life, so this is going to be somewhat new for me!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 AM

well I don't have any times for the 1/4 mile, but as you know i also had an SVT contour with exhaust, cai, maf, etc.

my xfire has a chip and believe it to be faster than my modded SVT. however, i believe my modded SVT would have beaten the xfire in stock form.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:28 AM

hum, i got a 14.5 out of my stock 6 speed are you guys running auto's? 89 mph i don't have the slips anymore it was november some time. i'll be getting the chip, borla and pulleys soon with a e55 v8 air box. so i'm guessing i'll be down in the 13's some where maybe a 13.5 full second i hope. i seen at dragtimes.com a guy ran a 14.4 with a auto and he just had a flash and exhaust. so i'm hoping my 6 speed which is faster will be in the 13's.

i'll keep you guys posted when i order the parts and put them on.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Originally Posted by BlownSrt6
hum, i got a 14.5 out of my stock 6 speed are you guys running auto's? 89 mph i don't have the slips anymore it was november some time. i'll be getting the chip, borla and pulleys soon with a e55 v8 air box. so i'm guessing i'll be down in the 13's some where maybe a 13.5 full second i hope. i seen at dragtimes.com a guy ran a 14.4 with a auto and he just had a flash and exhaust. so i'm hoping my 6 speed which is faster will be in the 13's.

no offense but 13's are a dream (unless you have an srt 6). with the mods you mentioned above... count on maybe a 14.2 if your lucky.

~ these mods on a crossfire don't equal the results as they would on a mustang.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlownSrt6

Woah woah woah...

You ran a 14.5 and only trapped at 89 mph??? Was this at a track or with one of those little g-tech units? What was your 60' time?

Old 03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

The time and mph don't really match up, can we get some clarification on this, inquiring minds would like to know. The advertised time/mph (14.9 @ 96 mph) makes sense due to our tallish gearing (3.25) but I really would like to see what this thing would run with a 3.73 or 4.10. I mean with the 6 speed you would affect your drivability too much. I just wanna run into the 14's with my car, that's all I'm looking for.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM

i don't remember what the 60 foot times were. like i said when i get the slips from this year i'll post them. my boy in his 350z ran 13.9 all day at 99 mph, so what's up with the 89 mph, i had a camaro that ran 10.8 at 126. most of the people on this form never have ever modded a car at all, i'm sure i'll see the 13 range, but well see. i'll post the slips when i get them. i have seen some of the really stupid stuff people have posted on here before. arguing about chips, wanted to see dynos, it really just comes to the fact that no one really wants to believe anyone, so why have a forum? Just like the twin turbo post people were asked to take the supercharger off there unit to get the twin turbo unit put on. if you really look at what they just said, their retarded. not only does one company make a pulley kit for the supercharger unit that bumps the power to 380 hp. do you realized how hard it would be to take a s/c off and then turbo it, and how much stock parts you would need. not only to mention the intake manifold is about 2k. there's a guy that has a red auto stick, he ran about 15.1 and he got a 14.4 out of his auto with the upsolute and borla. that's a heck of a lot off your quarter mile times, and he had his slip to prove it. even if i ran a 14.6 or 14.7 i'd be 14.0 or at lest a 13.9. oh yeah if you launch your car at about 3 grand, there's really no tire spin just a burb and your off. try it next time your at the track, unless you have a auto. with most people, i'm amazed don't know how to drive stick. www.dragtimes.com

Old 03-10-2006, 02:25 PM

sorry it wasn't 89 mph. i'm an as*. it was 96 mph and the 60 foot time was 2.270 and the temp was 78. you guys know car and driver did a test a year later and got a 14.7 out of the 6 speed right. the first time they ran it they got a 15.1 or something out of the 6 speed, but i can wish to be in the 13's well just see.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 PM

Ok, that I believe entirely, not a mid 14 quarter at under 90 mph. If you didn't see the thread that I linked to in the 2nd post, I ran a 14.9 @ 93 mph last Sunday with a horrible 60' in my auto that's chipped. I'm going back this Sunday, so I'll post my slips and let everyone know how it goes again.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Forum Regular

Well here goes, you guys may not want me here with my SRT-6. I had a heck of a time my first try, ran a 13.46 at 102. I hope to get in the 13.20 range as soon as I get use to my new car. My slightly modded Trans-Am runs 13.2 all day any day and it's a convertible also, you know heavier.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Your 13.4's at 102 is right on target for time/mph matching up, good job and I'm sure you'll get pretty close to your WS6 pretty soon, especially if you get the pulley and exhaust work done, at least just the muffler for sound alone!

All I'm hoping to do is run into the 14's with my ride and it looks like I've got a good shot at it. FWIW, when I do go and run my car, I'll be telling the truth about what I ran because my car is a lease and I've got no one to impress to be honest with you. IMO, most guys here are pretty cool about this stuff, I mean there's a few exceptions but you get there everywhere. So wish me luck, even though its about 6 weeks away. www.ublydragway.com

Old 03-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Well here goes, you guys may not want me here with my SRT-6. I had a heck of a time my first try, ran a 13.46 at 102. I hope to get in the 13.20 range as soon as I get use to my new car. My slightly modded Trans-Am runs 13.2 all day any day and it's a convertible also, you know heavier.
Thanks ws6vert, I've been wondering how your TA compared to the SRT. Now I'm just playing devils advocate here, but don't you have a 3.42 rear end in the Poncho? Just a little better than your SRTs 3.27s. And let's not forget that Corvette V8. But like you said, it's a rag top, so you're pulling alot more weight for sure.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a "chipped" '94 Z-28 6 spd. that ran 13.4, so I was curious how close your two cars were to each other. By the way, is the TA an auto, or 6 spd.?
I always prefer to "drag race" with an auto. But the 6 spd. just seems to make the Crossfire "feel" so much more like a "sports car". Still, I think I wouldn't have that hard of a time getting used to an SRT-6s automatic, especially with that low 13 sec. potential!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Oh yea, I almost forgot. Just for comparison. The last time I took my AMX to the drags it ran, 14.29 sec. at 97.2 mph. with a 2.05 sec. 60 ft., using 3.54 gears and an automatic.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Oh yea, I almost forgot. Just for comparison. The last time I took my AMX to the drags it ran, 14.29 sec. at 97.2 mph. with a 2.05 sec. 60 ft., using 3.54 gears and an automatic.
That's pretty good and I bet it doesn't have the original bias ply's either. I don't know how guys hooked those cars back then, I guess they didn't! I'm waiting for someone here with an SRT-6 to do a little exhaust work, get a smaller pulley and some Nitto drag radials or BFG's and hit the 12's, now who's it going to be first?!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
That's pretty good and I bet it doesn't have the original bias ply's either.
Aero Blue, You pegged that one. I only had the car for 1 month and the E-70 14" GoodYear Red Line Poly Glass tires were replaced with F-70 14" BFG Radials. (Radial TA's) hadn't been invented yet. The improvement in ride and handling was unbelievable. Since 1972 it's had just 2 sets of 60 series TA's mounted on 7" wide 15" Magnum 500's. Tire size: 235's.
When I turned that 14.29 ET, with the 2.05, 60 ft. it never broke the tires loose. Not even a "chirp" (got the whole run on tape too).

I fully agree with you, with a smaller diameter (to effectively lower the final drive ratio) drag radials, a pulley, and exhaust, 12's would not be out of the question.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:49 AM

Now for my two cents !!! Does anybody know what rear carrier benz used in this app. If we could find out if the same diff was used in an application that would have required a lower ratio (maybe a diesel manual trans car ??) then we might be able to do a cost effective swap. I checked out "bergworks" sometime back and they could do it - but it would be 3 grand!! I guess they've closed up shop now. The ratio they said was available was 3.69 for a net change of 13 percent. I might be a little off but still that might be something like adding another 25+ HP.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ben's car audio
Now for my two cents !!! Does anybody know what rear carrier benz used in this app. If we could find out if the same diff was used in an application that would have required a lower ratio (maybe a diesel manual trans car ??) then we might be able to do a cost effective swap. I checked out "bergworks" sometime back and they could do it - but it would be 3 grand!! I guess they've closed up shop now. The ratio they said was available was 3.69 for a net change of 13 percent. I might be a little off but still that might be something like adding another 25+ HP.
I may be way off base here, and since I have not crawled under the back end of a XF to actually look at its differential, I'm simply speculating.
But since it's so crazy expensive to even think about changing the "stock" ring & pinion, would it be possible to fabricate an entirely new 3rd. member using a Mustang, Camaro, or Chrysler rear end? Thus creating a much more "user friendly" environment for gear changers?

Old 03-13-2006, 01:31 AM

I don't know if I would ever do it but I was following a late model explorer the other day and it got me thinking the same thing. You could plainly see that it has fully independent like ours and you might be able to do something crazy like have custom half shafts built with benz outers and ford inners. The ratio possibilities would have to be much more diverse - but- you're talking alot of work ! I think I would probably just pony-up to have it done with benz parts!

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times, what have your run?