Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!

Ever since I found out that '04 was the only year that came with an auto-dimming rear view mirror, I've thought how unfair that was and that I wanted one! So I found one on eBay and set out to make it work.

The first step was to remove the dome light assembly - a simple task. Just use a flat plastic tool to pry out the cover:

And pull out the 2 screws holding in the assembly:

Which leaves you a large hole that gives you access to the universal garage door opener wiring:

I originally took out the garage door opener because I had heard that all the wiring for the auto-dimming mirror was already in the '05 and up models, and I was looking for a connector somewhere to plug the mirror into...no such luck. The only wiring in the headliner is for the garage door opener.

The next step is to remove the old mirror. The manual says to use a 5mm metal rod, but I used a 3/16" allen wrench that fit very well. You insert the wrench into the hole in the base and rotate the base 90 degrees:

This is what it looks like off the window:

A small round bracket stays on the glass and luckily it is the same part for both mirror styles.

Now to put the new mirror on - you have to thread the wire assembly under the edge of the headliner through to the hole that the dome light assembly mounts into. The mirror goes on the glass the reverse of how the old one came off. This was the hardest part of the job - the casting of the mirror base is slightly different between the auto-dimming and regular mirrors. It's hard to describe how to put the mirror back on...you have to line up the mirror base on the bracket, then keep pushing on the mirror base towards the headliner as you rotate it to lock it in place. It took me 4 tries to get it to lock in properly - you can tell when you get it right because the base is very solid against the glass.

Now that the new mirror is attached, it's time for the wiring. The auto-dimming mirror just uses 3 wires: power, ground and a signal from the reverse lights. '05s and up have switched power and ground, but no reverse signal. The reverse signal is used to turn off the auto-dimming feature when you put the car into reverse to help you see better when backing up at night. So what I did was connect the switched power and ground, and put in a small switch on the power line to turn off the mirror manually if necessary. Here is a wiring diagram:

And a pic of how I wired in the new mirror:

Luckily, the place I got the mirror from (eBay seller) sent me both ends of the connector, so I was able to wire in the mirror and still be able to unplug it if necessary.

Put everything back together and VOILA! To test it, turn the key to ON and cover up the light sensor on the back of the mirror (the non-mirror side) - this should make it go dark.

It is amazing how much nicer it makes driving at night! It was definately worth it.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (02-06-2024)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!

Very cool Jon. I"ll start looking.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Nice write up, really too bad about the reverse signal, would have made installing a backup cam mirror very easy

Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Good write up...I have made this thread a "sticky"

Last edited by Valk; 11-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OKC-XFR, I copied this to my computer and saved it if that is ok,even though I have it already it is a great write up for repairs if needed. Larry

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
OKC-XFR, I copied this to my computer and saved it if that is ok,even though I have it already it is a great write up for repairs if needed. Larry
You're welcome to it, Larry - that's what we're here for isn't it? I'm happy that I could be of help.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jon, you know there is going to be a run on these, better find them quick.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

great wrght up thank you ,,it needs to be put in HOW TO (Technical & Modifications) section so everyone can find it. jim

Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
great wrght up thank you ,,it needs to be put in HOW TO (Technical & Modifications) section so everyone can find it. jim
Done with a redirect

Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to go Jon! Great write up.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the install but not to rain on your parade, this was talked about in detail way back in '05 before I even got on this forum. I couldn't find the threads but there are quite a few of us that already have done this in our cars. Great feature though for sure and thanks for the new write up as searching for the one I found when I first joined yielded no results.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM

OKC-XFR great write-up. I was able to find a mirror and will install tomorrow. Just a quick pair of questionw, you mentioned a switch to simulate reverse, where did you mount the switch and what type did you use.
Thanks and yes they are hard to get.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimTim
OKC-XFR great write-up. I was able to find a mirror and will install tomorrow. Just a quick pair of questionw, you mentioned a switch to simulate reverse, where did you mount the switch and what type did you use.
Thanks and yes they are hard to get.
Thanks - I found the perfect switch, silver with an illuminated blue ring, but the place I ordered it from is taking forever to send it...I think it's time to find another source.

I plan on mounting it in the flat area just to the left of the garage door opener. I'll post pictures once I get the switch.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a source

Gentex K2 Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror
From $79.95
Free Shipping
Rating (62)

Last edited by Bill F; 01-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM

OKC-XFR,

I looked but could not find an update on the Reverse simulation switch. You mentioned one with a blue light ring around it. I've got the mirror, but wanted to do the install all at once. where can I get this switch and do you have any details or pics on hookup /mounting?
Dave
dtinker

Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM

I found a great switch but they are selling in lots of 40, but if you are interested here is the info, I am looking for a local source:
Switch RJS101-16L-F Metal dot illuminated
The switch has a changeover contact and an LED with a resistor. You have to decide what voltage you are sending to the switch and then choose this when deciding on switch type (eg 5V, 12V, 28V etc)
The MOQ of these is 40 parts and if you ordered for example RJS102-16LA-F-R-B-BS-12V-IP67 (12V LED switch, latching action, Blue Ring Illuminated LED, Brushed Steel Finish and sealed against water to IP67 standard) the unit price = $11.95 each + $45 shipping to USA.
RJS Electronics Limited
Grove Crescent House
18 Grove Place
Bedford
MK40 3JJ
United Kingdom

Tel. +44(0)1234 213600
Fax.+44(0)1234 210820
Web. www.rjselectronics.com

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Tim Tim,
Let me know if you find any of these locally. I don't need 40 of them, just one. I'll try looking around Houston too, will let you know if i find anything.
Dave
dtinker

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Tim Tim sent you a PM about switches.
Dave
dtinker

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Hey, got the Auto dimming mirror in this afternoon. Appears to be working ok. Have to drive it awhile to se if i need the reverse switch. Hardest part was getting old mirror off, then routing wiring under headliner edge.

Dave
dtinker

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave, when I did this a couple of years ago, I hooked up my reverse wire to the back-up light power wire and it has worked fine, no need for a switch.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!