Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!

I have not had a problem with it. Don't really drive it a lot at night, but thought it would be a nice little hocus pokus feature. I'll keep your mod in mind, as I will be taking it to Dallas area on the 6th of May to the " Running of the Crossfires" at the TWS. Should be fun to do 3 laps on the track. Thanks for the up date, that's what makes this such a really good Forum, great members.

Dave

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Enjoy the run. I hope to make it there one day too!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will have another run later in the year. I know it is really a long way for you, but a once in lifetime experience. You guys might check into some tracks in your area. This is a charity run, not really any faster that you would drive around here anyway. It's just where you are doing it. You may be able to organize something similar in your area for charity. These tracks really try to be good community partners and may be looking for a partner to do something like this. I'm sure the TWS would be glad to help you with contacts in your area at a track.

Dave

Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for any of you out there installing this mirror and only have the harness that comes with the mirror, it is a 6 pin connector and you need to use pin #'s 6,4, and 3, #6 is a yellow wire and would be for the reverse light input, # 4 is a violet wire and is used to connect to switched 12 volts, and the # 3 is a black wire and is used for ground. The #'s are inside where the pins come out and are numbered 6.5.4.3.2. and 1 (when looking at the inside of the connector) hope this helps some one in the future. Although I have not done anything for the reverse light, I'm just going to live with it working all the time.

I will say this, this option should of came with all the Xfires it is really a neat addition
And thanks to OCR-XFR for the great write up

Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 566 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, when I did this a couple of years ago, I hooked up my reverse wire to the back-up light power wire and it has worked fine, no need for a switch.
Could you use the reverse wire that is used on the nav unit hook up? That's down by the amp if I remember correctly.

I have a mirror like this to install some time and no, its not from the NA.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the wire harness by chance plug into the base of the mirror or hard wired? I'm going to mount my radar detector bracket to the hole in back and was wondering if I need to pull the light cover for slack in the wiring or not..

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Does the wire harness by chance plug into the base of the mirror or hard wired? I'm going to mount my radar detector bracket to the hole in back and was wondering if I need to pull the light cover for slack in the wiring or not..
The wire coming from the mirror ends up in a plug above the light by the garage door opener module.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM

I got that part, was wondering hard wired to the actual mirror base or another plug? Basically don't want to be holding mirror in one hand and taking dome light cover off with the other. Going to be running a tap through the hole and would most likely need a little clearance for handle and all.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Could you use the reverse wire that is used on the nav unit hook up? That's down by the amp if I remember correctly.

I have a mirror like this to install some time and no, its not from the NA.
180, I saw no real need for the reverse wire feature when I installed mine. I mean really, how often do you really use the interior mirror at night while backing up ?
At any rate, the visibility is sufficient without the reverse wire.
One thing, the B+ and ground connect to the harness before the little adapter harness ( tiny wires ) that connects to the HomeLink.
Another hint - use two wood wedges to make some space at the front of the fascia so the mirror wire does not have to kink up as you turn the mirror during mounting. Mine already had the little notch in the fascia and in the metal subframe for the mirror wire, guess they didn't change the parts after they dropped the mirror after 2004.

Anybody need a 2004 autodimmer ? I have a spare.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PM sent.......

Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM

I got that part, was wondering hard wired to the actual mirror base or another plug? Basically don't want to be holding mirror in one hand and taking dome light cover off with the other. Going to be running a tap through the hole and would most likely need a little clearance for handle and all.
Hard wired.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you thinking of tapping the hole 1/4-20 in place? I would recommend you remove the mirror to do it.

1) you only get ~ 25% thread. Into pot metal (cast zinc). It is not a #7 hole. You'll want to make a stud assembly using a very thin nut inside and outside and a 3/4" long stud or set screw, or use a Button Head screw from the inside, and a coupling nut on the outside. Anything larger (read: taller) seems to interfere with the mounting hardware inside when you twist the thing back into place.

2) If you do try to tap it in place, there is ~ 5/16" space inside the shell before you hit the mounting hardware. Use a bottoming or plug tap.

Best of luck, though. It's one of the things I plan on doing one of these days too. I bought one of the Auto Dimmers from Alaxfire too. Nice feature they decided "der Americaners" didn't really need...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the "heads up".. Just finished with my friends bike battery install.. he's dying to ride.. and getting ready to head out and get this done. Found a CCTV mount for 4 bucks on ebay that should work just perfect after I cut the suction cup ears off my radar detector bracket. Now leave the mount chrome or paint black... decisions decisions.. LOL.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Mrmiata.. hate to tell you but it is hard wired in the base of the mirror.. but when you take it loose you do have enough slack to be able to tap the hole. Hope this helps.

Be sure and upload pictures of your $4.00 radar detector mount when your done!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Mrmiata.. hate to tell you but it is hard wired in the base of the mirror.. but when you take it loose you do have enough slack to be able to tap the hole. Hope this helps.

Be sure and upload pictures of your $4.00 radar detector mount when your done!

I talk to myself at times, but not on the forum.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Does this mirror show a small LED lit when the power to it is on?
I am assuming that is what the little window is on the front.
I cannot remember what my '04 looked like in this regard.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think the little window was for a light sensor so it knows when it is dark and activates the auto dimmer......

Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
I would think the little window was for a light sensor so it knows when it is dark and activates the auto dimmer......
There is a window on the back for the sensor, back being the opposite side to the mirror, you always look at the front of mirrors, unless you don't like what you see of course.

On my 300 there is a green light on the front.

The first post says to cover the sensor on the back to test if it is working, no mention is made of the front window.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry, front to me is the front of the car...... everything is relative.....

Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is a window on the back for the sensor, back being the opposite side to the mirror, you always look at the front of mirrors, unless you don't like what you see of course.

On my 300 there is a green light on the front.

The first post says to cover the sensor on the back to test if it is working, no mention is made of the front window.
The sensor toward the windshield is the daylight sensor.
The sensor toward the rear ( mirror side ) is the dimming sensor.
I too have the green light on my 2002 Concorde Limited mirror, wish there WAS one on the XF autodimmer, but noooooooo .....

1. cover the windshield side sensor ( make it think it is night time )
2. shine a flashlight on the mirror side sensor, the mirror should dim down.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Mirror - it's not just for '04s anymore!