Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Fob programming for door unlocking

Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Fob programming for door unlocking

The fob can be programed to open the drivers door only with one press and the passenger door and trunk with two presses. Or, open both doors and the trunk with one press.

Instructions to change the programming you have now.
Press both lock and unlock buttons at the same time and hold them down until the red light at the top of the key fob blinks twice. Repeat this operation and the change to the programming is undone.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Fob programming for door unlocking

That tip (see post #33) and others can be found HERE.

Good read. Lots of cool info!

Let's add to it if you have something new!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
That tip (see post #33) and others can be found HERE.

Good read. Lots of cool info!

Let's add to it if you have something new!
Sorry if you feel slighted by not using your post, not intentional on my part. But this does appear a few times elsewhere, and I rewrote another one to make it clearer.
I did this to add to my Index of Crossfire problems thread.
I have added some of your posts to the Index. The RCM fix, the PDF and the original thread. Others fixes you did as well.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

[quote=onehundred80]Sorry if you feel slighted by not using your post, not intentional on my part. [quote]

Just pointing to the other cool tips out there.
I recall at the St Louis GTG that few heard of this tip/trick.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Fob programming for door unlocking - CONFUSED!

I am confused. I have been reading different forum postings regarding the Key Fob.

Some say you can reprogram a new key & shell with the old key fob guts - makes sense.

Some say you can reprogram a new key & shell with a different Crossfire's old key fob guts - Unsure.

Some say you can only replace a missing key fob with an expensive one from the dealer.

I am in this predicament. The Forum answers are not really specific.

I am asking the experts - can I do this:

I have a NEW EMPTY BLANK Fob shell & Key.

I have a USED Fob shell from another Crossfire MISSING the key with internal guts.

Can I take the guts out, put them into the NEW shell - have the key cut to match my working fob and reprogram the NEW Fob shell & Key with the replaced guts to function ala my working key fob?

YES or NO?

I hope this ends my confusion once and for all.

Please be specific.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Default Re: Fob programming for door unlocking - CONFUSED!

Originally Posted by Fildo Dog
I am confused. I have been reading different forum postings regarding the Key Fob.

Some say you can reprogram a new key & shell with the old key fob guts - makes sense.

Some say you can reprogram a new key & shell with a different Crossfire's old key fob guts - Unsure.

Some say you can only replace a missing key fob with an expensive one from the dealer.

I am in this predicament. The Forum answers are not really specific.

I am asking the experts - can I do this:

I have a NEW EMPTY BLANK Fob shell & Key.

I have a USED Fob shell from another Crossfire MISSING the key with internal guts.

Can I take the guts out, put them into the NEW shell - have the key cut to match my working fob and reprogram the NEW Fob shell & Key with the replaced guts to function ala my working key fob?

YES or NO?

I hope this ends my confusion once and for all.

Please be specific.
Answered in the other post you made. Posting in two places confuses everyone and does not get a better answer.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM

Hello Everyone,
This is a fantastic forum. As of four months ago I acquired a 2008 Red Blaze Coupe. Up until a week ago I was problem free (but read this forum none the less)
Last week my XF would not start. Car was in the shop for over a week. Got it back today and now my key fob won't work. I read on this forum about pressing the lock and unlock down at the same time. Not to look like a complete idiot but do I put the key in the ignition to do this?? In the door lock or just point it at the car? Have to admit I stood in front of the car and tried it and nothing happen.
With the lock and unlock not working on the key fob do I need to do anything else to have a fully working (alarm) key fob again?
Thank you for ALL your help
Sandy

Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is press lock OR unlock twice, then put the key in and turn it within 20-30 seconds. What I believe that does is, the car receives the code from the fob transmitter, and ignores it, but remembers it, then it detects the transponder in the key and says, "OK, that must have been a legit fob, I'll let it work next time"
Assuming your key will start the car normally already.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Red Paul
Hello Everyone,
This is a fantastic forum. As of four months ago I acquired a 2008 Red Blaze Coupe. Up until a week ago I was problem free (but read this forum none the less)
Last week my XF would not start. Car was in the shop for over a week. Got it back today and now my key fob won't work. I read on this forum about pressing the lock and unlock down at the same time. Not to look like a complete idiot but do I put the key in the ignition to do this?? In the door lock or just point it at the car? Have to admit I stood in front of the car and tried it and nothing happen.
With the lock and unlock not working on the key fob do I need to do anything else to have a fully working (alarm) key fob again?
Sandy

Go here CLICK and print it all out you may need it some time, your answer is on this sheet.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM

Hello Everyone,
Sandy
Hello Everyone,
My car would not start. We did the 'mystery no start' of soldering. Everything looked good but did it anyway. Car still would not start. Had it towed to a private auto shop that specializes in European cars. Mercedes guy put a diagnostic test on my car. I don't know code number but he said I needed a MODULE DO (08035031 which came from Chrysler) and a TRANSPONDER (168-462-02-53) which came from Mercedes-Benz.
Car started right up. I have two sets of keys. Key I always use will not start the car, open or lock doors. The second set of keys will start the car and unlock the doors. It will not lock the doors.
I tried what Onehundred80 suggested to reprogram the keys (and printed out the information) and my key still will not work and the second set still will not lock the doors. I also noticed that the alarm is not on when the car is locked.
Car mechanic said he does not have the equipment to reprogram the keys. Do I need more then the keys reprogrammed?? My airbag warning light is also on (never was before)
Mechanic is on vacation for two weeks.
I'm afraid to drive the car due to the air bag light on. Sadly my car was called the '******* child' of Chrysler and Mercedes. No one wants to work on them.
Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Thanks,
Sandy

Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yuck, two posts in a row where the car came FROM the shop with issues. I hope the shop was advised of their deficiencies.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-20-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I think it is press lock OR unlock twice, then put the key in and turn it within 20-30 seconds. What I believe that does is, the car receives the code from the fob transmitter, and ignores it, but remembers it, then it detects the transponder in the key and says, "OK, that must have been a legit fob, I'll let it work next time"
Assuming your key will start the car normally already.

Nope.. had a "foreign" fob.. pressed twice.. inserted working key.. foreign fob not recognized by car any more than before. Which is exactly why purchasing a key fob off Ebay for the electronics is a total waste of your money.

Think about this too.. spot a Crossfire.. wait till owner approaches car .. press your fob twice and they start the car.. all ready to bypass security.. don't think so.. LOL.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Hello Everyone,
My car would not start. We did the 'mystery no start' of soldering. Everything looked good but did it anyway. Car still would not start. Had it towed to a private auto shop that specializes in European cars. Mercedes guy put a diagnostic test on my car. I don't know code number but he said I needed a MODULE DO (08035031 which came from Chrysler) and a TRANSPONDER (168-462-02-53) which came from Mercedes-Benz.
Car started right up. I have two sets of keys. Key I always use will not start the car, open or lock doors. The second set of keys will start the car and unlock the doors. It will not lock the doors.
I tried what Onehundred80 suggested to reprogram the keys (and printed out the information) and my key still will not work and the second set still will not lock the doors. I also noticed that the alarm is not on when the car is locked.
Car mechanic said he does not have the equipment to reprogram the keys. Do I need more then the keys reprogrammed?? My airbag warning light is also on (never was before)
Mechanic is on vacation for two weeks.
I'm afraid to drive the car due to the air bag light on. Sadly my car was called the '******* child' of Chrysler and Mercedes. No one wants to work on them.
Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Thanks,
Sandy
How do you lock the car? It may sound like an odd question but it is relevant to my answer.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How do you lock the car? It may sound like an odd question but it is relevant to my answer.
Put the key in the door and lock it manually.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Put the key in the door and lock it manually.
Do any of the doors lock when you use the fob?
Do you hear any sounds when you use the fob or the dash lock button.

I think that the new SKREEM/door lock module was not programmed correctly to match the VIN or something like that.
I think the SKREEM was replaced, along with the ring around the ignition key hole.
Both keys should act the same, which key did you leave with the mechanic? Are you sure that the key that half works is the original key you had prior totaking the car in?

The air bag light comes on if the air bag is disconnected without the battery being disconnected first. It has to be reset by the dealership.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-03-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do any of the doors lock when you use the fob?
Do you hear any sounds when you use the fob or the dash lock button.

I think that the new SKREEM/door lock module was not programmed correctly to match the VIN or something like that.
I think the SKREEM was replaced, along with the ring around the ignition key hole.
Both keys should act the same, which key did you leave with the mechanic? Are you sure that the key that half works is the original key you had prior totaking the car in?

The air bag light comes on if the air bag is disconnected without the battery being disconnected first. It has to be reset by the dealership.
Thank you for all your help.
I don't recall hearing a sound when unlocking my car. It was noisy outside and I was so happy to see my car back I did not pay attention.
My key was left with the car and my key is the key that is presently not working at all. Spouses took his key to pick up my car and his starts the car and will unlock the doors but will not lock the doors. My key does nothing at all. Both keys were working Saturday. Car would not start on Sunday.

I don't know what the SKREEM is. I typed everything on the paper work as for parts ordered. Good to know the airbag needs to be reset by the dealer as my car is going to Chrysler tomorrow (Tuesday). Hopefully they will know what to do.

Thanks again for all your help.
Sandy

Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM

OneHundred80 and anyone else who can help with advice....
Same issue as above except I have learned a little more.
My car would not start, it was towed to an independent shop. The shop ordered 5099541-AAModule DO 08035031 from Chrysler. They also ordered 168-464-02-53 Transponder from Mercedes-Benz.

My car key was towed in with the car. Mechanic said he needed both keys so he could program them. My key would NOT take the program and is virtually useless at this point. The spare key will start/run and unlock the doors. It will not lock any doors. I have no working alarm system. Air bag light was on.

Took the car to Chrysler. They put a diagnostic tests on it. Determined my battery was low so I now have a new battery. The air bag light is off but they could not program the keys. Same state as before. My key is still useless and the spare key will run the car. I manually lock the passenger door (push button down). I insert spare key in drivers side door to lock and the hatch is never locked.

I took my XF to an Independent Mercedes-Benz dealer. He listened to my story, assured me my keys were a Mercedes=Benz item and that he could not replace them due to 'coding' them with my VIN # (for theft reasons). He gave me the number to a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Palo Alto.

I called spoke to John. He told me they could not help me, could not order parts because my VIN # is a Chrysler number. I told him the car is 80% Mercedes-Benz and that a reg mechanic shop ordered from Mercedes-Benz but in SF. Said he was sorry but that I had to take it back to Chrysler.

Chrysler is at a loss as to why my keys will not reprogram and wants me to order new keys at $350. each. There is o guarantee this will fix my problem.

My question to you....from your XF experience do you think this will fix my problem. Will new keys work no matter what?? Also is there a way on this forum where I can find SF Bay Area (CA) XF owners to connect with them to find out where they take their car for problems.

Thank you for all your help.
Sandy

Old 08-20-2015, 05:04 PM

OneHundred80 and anyone else who can help with advice....
Same issue as above except I have learned a little more.
My car would not start, it was towed to an independent shop. The shop ordered 5099541-AAModule DO 08035031 from Chrysler. They also ordered 168-464-02-53 Transponder from Mercedes-Benz.

My car key was towed in with the car. Mechanic said he needed both keys so he could program them. My key would NOT take the program and is virtually useless at this point. The spare key will start/run and unlock the doors. It will not lock any doors. I have no working alarm system. Air bag light was on.

Took the car to Chrysler. They put a diagnostic tests on it. Determined my battery was low so I now have a new battery. The air bag light is off but they could not program the keys. Same state as before. My key is still useless and the spare key will run the car. I manually lock the passenger door (push button down). I insert spare key in drivers side door to lock and the hatch is never locked.
I know I am a bit slow but you mention what the keys did before, then say what happens after going to the dealer.
Please simplify and just say;

1, what happens with the main key. Like start, lock/unlock the DS door, PS door, hatch, fuel door.
and
2, and likewise what happens with the spare key.

Does the fuel door lock when you lock the DS door?

I suspect trouble withe the lock/unlock module in the trunk possibly among other things.

Normally when locking the car with the fob, all locks make an activation sound and the lights flash.

Normally when locking with just the key in the DS lock all the doors, hatch and fuel door lock with no lights flashing, just the sound of the locks activating. No sound would indicate the lock/unlock module in the trunk is not working.

If the newer siren is fitted then it beeps in unison with the lights when using the fob but is silent when locking the car with the key.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM

Main key presently...
1....Will start the car for 2 seconds then car turns off.
2....Will manually lock the DS door (put key in door and turn)
3....Will not lock PS, Hatch or gas cap.
4....The "fob' will unlock the DS door
5....When I click 'lock on the fob' three lights flash but nothing locks. DS, PS, hatch, gas do NOT lock with fob.
6...Never a beeping sound with fob.

SPARE KEY....
1....Unlocks DS and PS door with the Fob and manually.
2....Starts car (I use the spare key to drive with)
3....I can manually lock DS door only
4....Fob will manually lock DS door only
5....Spare key will not lock gas door or hatch door with fob or manually.
6....Spare key FOB will lock DS door only and will flash three times
7.....PS door is only locked when I manually push the button down. Gas door is never locked. Hatch is never locked.

Regardless of key used no sound is ever made. I use to hear the lock and unlock prior to all this happening.
Before all this happen both keys would lock and unlock DS, PS, hatch and gas door with a sound and would lock all mentioned with a sound and lights flashing.

Prior when all was working...my dad was sitting in PS with the car locked.(I locked it with the key). I asked him to open the PS door and when he did a blaring alarm went off. That no longer happens.

I tried my best to describe the keys.
I appreciate you help.
Thank you,
Sandy

Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the car electronics are pretty much "lost"... With that - disconnect battery for about 10 minutes.. cycle key to the run position to fully discharge.. reconnect battery and try the car again. It's a swing for the fence here, but has resolved weird things for others.

Quick Reply: Fob programming for door unlocking