Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Wasted morning PSK

Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wasted morning PSK

Tomorrow my new 178 pulley gets installed so I decided to do the rest myself. So I took everything apart, switched necessary idler pulleys, waterpump pulley, tensioner pulley, installed the PSK and the new belt is too long. Dang it. So I went about putting on smaller pulleys to see if I could leave the PSK on with the stock belt. I tried all kinds of combinations and no go. I had to return everything to stock. I was just trying to save a few dollars and ended up with a back ache for my trouble. At least my sailor speak got a good work out. I do have a question for those that have the PSK. The inside pulley of the PSK is supported on the inner side but the outside just has the spacer? Is that pulley adequately supported? The other "new positioned pulley" has a stepped spacer that protrudes into the bearing. I'm just wondering if I'm doing things correctly.

Les

Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wasted morning PSK

Les, that idler pulley uses the factory seat so it only needs the spacer on the outside. That lets the bracket tie in and sit even on all three points...

Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Ok, thanks Mike. I assumed that was the case but sometimes assumption is the mother of all !#&* ups. I'm hoping the shop will allow me to apprentice so I can keep an eye on the 178 installation. After the instal the car goes on the dyno if it's available. I want to know how close the code 3 and 178 truly are in HP.

Les

Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

this is on the Needswings site, if it helps. I'm guessing you already seen it.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 PM

I downloaded the PDF pulley saver file but nothing for the 178 instal. The rest is easy to figure out, I guess, but I work in a basement and once working on the car I can't leave it or my tools unattended. Under pressure is my nodus operandi. I learned you can't put the belt on last, the pulley saver bracket prevents it.

Les

Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Yes, the bracket is last!....

Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Oh man Mike, gave me the rolls eyes! We'll see if the shop can figure it out as fast as I did. The adjustable links will take me NO TIME AT ALL. (If I have problems I'll PM you at 2:00 AM.)

Les

Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM

lets see....2:00am minus 4 (or 5?) hours.... I could still be up, so no problem......

Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Today I took the car to Predator Performance to have my 178 pulley installed. While waiting for a bay to become available I was chatting with the manager. Talking mostly about how I prefer to do my own work but at times can't manage by myself in a basement. When a bay became unoccupied he told me to pull in and have at it and if I needed some help just to let them know. ??????? No argument from me. I had some tools with me but even before I asked they offered the use of any tool I lacked. The only help I needed was holding the pulley tool while breaking the crankshaft bolt loose. Once loose I could unscrew it by hand. Then the pulley slid right off with no drama. The new one slid on like the old one came off. Easy. The pulley holding tool makes it relatively easy for 2 people with pipe extensions but you have to have a helper. 150 ft lbs. wasn't tough but the next 90º was. When it was over and done with I was charged $50.00 for the time in the bay. The dyno was occupied unfortunately, but I'll have one done before making another change. I'm still wondering where my luck came from today.... $50.00. Wow!

Les

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM

what a great deal!.... I have the garage, but it would be nice to have a shop with a lift.... what tool did you use to hold the pulley?? never mind, you did a 178mm that has spokes.... the 181/185 cant use that tool....

Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM

I'll tell you what! The 2 foot breaker bar with extension was bent like a bow at 150 ft lbs and 90º.

The real reason I got the deal aside from what I already revealed was because on Saturday they told me to arrive Monday at 8 AM which I did, but they didn't have space for me until after 11 AM. Guilt trip!

My Code3 developed loose rivets on the inside/clutch side and was nearing a catastrophic failure. Code3 quality was hit or miss at best. I went with the 178 instead of the EC supercharger pulley because I don't want to chance another "short term life span part". Now I'm waiting on replacement rotors, pads, wheel bearings, tires, (adjustable sway bar links) and a few other goodies.

Les

Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I'll tell you what! The 2 foot breaker bar with extension was bent like a bow at 150 ft lbs and 90º.

The real reason I got the deal aside from what I already revealed was because on Saturday they told me to arrive Monday at 8 AM which I did, but they didn't have space for me until after 11 AM. Guilt trip!

My Code3 developed loose rivets on the inside/clutch side and was nearing a catastrophic failure. Code3 quality was hit or miss at best. I went with the 178 instead of the EC supercharger pulley because I don't want to chance another "short term life span part". Now I'm waiting on replacement rotors, pads, wheel bearings, tires, (adjustable sway bar links) and a few other goodies.

Les
I'll take dibs on your code 3 if you decide to sell it, jim

Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 AM

I'll consider it Jim. Mine is the elusive last generation light weight aluminum pulley. I'd hate to sell you a rock and hate to give away a diamond. Most indications are it's a rock. It has a new NSK bearing in it. It never slipped. It rattles so badly that I thought it was about to explode. For someone that knows, it should be easy to repair. I don't know that someone. Or do I?

Les

Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

ah, i'm sorry i didn't see this earlier, should have called me.

yes the psk178 belt will not fit the stock crank pulley

torque on the crank bolt is 150 ft pound, you do not need to go an additional 90deg

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
ah, i'm sorry i didn't see this earlier, should have called me.

yes the psk178 belt will not fit the stock crank pulley

torque on the crank bolt is 150 ft pound, you do not need to go an additional 90deg
No problem at all Rob. I was kicking myself for my lack of reading comprehension. If I ever get head scratching stuck on an instal I'll call. This didn't come close to qualifying. My only concern is the inside pulley on the PSK. The dowel doesn't fit into the bearing and where it fits in on the other side seems too loose. But it's on. The belt lines up, no noise or wobbling. I ran the car to redline on the way home and arrived. I'll revise the pictures of how things go on one more time but I'm confident I did it correctly.

I have a buddy with a E55 and he had 2 pulleys come off so I insisted on the 150 plus 90º. The tech that helped me with the torquing thought it was crazy tight but it sure wont come loose! Now to find out how the boost and HP compare to the Code3.

Les

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting torque # rob. when i replaced my oem crank pulley the dealership e/c and others all said 150 ft/lbs + 90* to stretch the bolt. is the 150 only just for the 178?
after seeing grip with the stacked setup working well im thinking 178 with my 65mm c3!!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

the 150 is from asp's instructions, ill double check the service manual tonight

les, your manis were fly cut tonight, shipping tomorrow

Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Secrets out in the open now! Yep, I'm a goin huntin them GTRRR's! Rob, did you see my latest videos? If you want a copy just let me know.

Les

Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
interesting torque # rob. when i replaced my oem crank pulley the dealership e/c and others all said 150 ft/lbs + 90* to stretch the bolt. is the 150 only just for the 178?
after seeing grip with the stacked setup working well im thinking 178 with my 65mm c3!!
If Grip gets a grip on the issues I'll consider stacking them too. Well, if I can get it fixed and Jim doesn't make me an offer.

Les

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my PSK for my 185 this weekend...one of the stock pulleys birthed a hamster and it sounded like it was running on the wheel...had to change it...she is nice and quiet now...well except for the normal idle noise the SRT engines have.

I had to e-mail Rob halfway through install and make sure I wasn't missing a washer on the tensioner pulley...quick response from Rob and I was on my way. Even with my fat hands it only took about an hour to do. The hardest part was getting the nut aligned on the backside of the water pump...my fingers were too big to fit behind there, ended up having to put the nut on a magnet and hold it in place to get the threads started...

oh well, it worked and I am happy...though I do wish I would have painted the bracket black before I installed it...just saying.

P.S. Rob, still waiting on that e-mail back from you for the other thing No worries though, I understand you are a busy man.