Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Used Key 2004 Crossfire

Old 08-30-2021, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Key 2004 Crossfire

Please forgive me if this question has been asked already, I searched up and down and could not find anything on the topic. Long story short bought a crossfire that had no key only to realize how much it costs to get a key made. So I bought a steering column with a key for $50. Does anyone know if you a used key can be programmed to my vehicle or it would have to be a new key? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Re: Used Key 2004 Crossfire

Originally Posted by Bmtomar
Please forgive me if this question has been asked already, I searched up and down and could not find anything on the topic. Long story short bought a crossfire that had no key only to realize how much it costs to get a key made. So I bought a steering column with a key for $50. Does anyone know if you a used key can be programmed to my vehicle or it would have to be a new key? Thanks.

There are a couple of places where the key you have (if the key is intact) can be matched to the car, if it is working properly (the car is 100% and just needs the key to start/run). Depending on which route you take, you will have to send additional components with the key to have them matched up. I am sure other members will chime in to tell you which they prefer, then you'll make a choice which route you take (how much your wishing to pay).

Old 08-30-2021, 09:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

SOS diagnostics should be able to make a new key which will work in the door lock and ignition using your VIN number but you would have to remove and send them your SKREM unit and I believe there is a $50 additional charge versus if you had a working key to send them. Another option would be the year SKREM delete which would allow you to use the key and ignition cylinder that you purchased but I do not know who offers this service or what it costs. The Mercedes swap shop may be able to help you… I bought a spare flip key from them but I had a working one to send them. I’ve seen mention of an SKREM emulator but I’m not sure what that entails or what it would cost. If you were able to get the SKREM unit from the car that your steering column and ignition cylinder came from you could probably swap that out so your car would recognize the chip in your key.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would be interested in hearing the story of how you bought a Crossfire with no key. Just seems off to me.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by exparamedic
I would be interested in hearing the story of how you bought a Crossfire with no key. Just seems off to me.
at the auction you can purchase a vehicle that is listed as a non runner. These cars do not start or they do not drive and some of them end up being in this lane because a bank will repo a vehicle and customer will not return the key. So vehicle is sold with no key. Just wish I would have researched the price for this key before jumping on the car.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHero
SOS diagnostics should be able to make a new key which will work in the door lock and ignition using your VIN number but you would have to remove and send them your SKREM unit and I believe there is a $50 additional charge versus if you had a working key to send them. Another option would be the year SKREM delete which would allow you to use the key and ignition cylinder that you purchased but I do not know who offers this service or what it costs. The Mercedes swap shop may be able to help you… I bought a spare flip key from them but I had a working one to send them. I’ve seen mention of an SKREM emulator but I’m not sure what that entails or what it would cost. If you were able to get the SKREM unit from the car that your steering column and ignition cylinder came from you could probably swap that out so your car would recognize the chip in your key.
so you don’t believe a used key can be programmed to the pcm and skreem? The only route is getting a new key?

Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmtomar
so you don’t believe a used key can be programmed to the pcm and skreem? The only route is getting a new key?

yes. I’ve read a lot of threads on this forum and spoken to locksmiths and the consensus seems to be that the Crossfire key cannot be virgin eyes and reprogrammed like many other key fobs. If you can get the SKREM from the car that your steering column and key came from they should work together. The chip in the Crossfire key fob is matched 28 chip on the SKREM also referred to as a VIN tide key. You can read all about why this was done to prevent theft of hire and vehicles in Europe somewhere on this forum. If cost is the main sticking point SOS diagnostics quoted me a price of $65 to make a valet key which would start the car but you would not have keyless entry functions. You would still have to send your SKREM so they could decode it to program the transponder chip in the new key. You should have come here looking for help before buying the steering column and ignition cylinder with key as you could have put that money toward a new key that would work in your ignition and door locks. there would still be a $50 charge from SOS for decoding your SKREM in addition to the $65 for the valet key. It was almost a year ago when I contacted them so their prices may have changed. If the cost of getting your Crossfire back on the road is too much to bear, perhaps another Crossfire owner in your area would be willing to buy it for parts and you could get your money back out of it.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:53 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When I bought mine 3 years ago, the dealer only had one key, but I had been checking out this forum for awhile and knew the key situation. Condition of sale was 2 keys. Glad I did that. Hope you got your car at a bargain price.
Good luck with your car.Hope it all works out for you.
Jim

Old 08-31-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Where in California are you?

Old 09-01-2021, 09:21 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

we can sort it out, email me rob@needswings.com