Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

new problem I have not seen here.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default new problem I have not seen here.

Last nite while driving the SRT, the interior lights came on. Would not turn off except via the manual switch. OKay.

Today when I got home, the fog lights were on, and would not shut off. The headlight switch works but the fog lights come on when I shut everything off.

Before I get into things and start pulling wires, anybody have a clue?

I love MB cars but still hate the gremlins that hatch when they get about 8 to 10 years old.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-19-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: new problem I have not seenhere.

I wonder if a bad illumination control module would cause it?

Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robby363
I wonder if a bad illumination control module would cause it?

Not according to this thread : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-turn-off.html

I do recall GraphiteGhost (George) having a similar issue a couple years ago but did not find his post.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Not according to this thread : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-turn-off.html

I do recall GraphiteGhost (George) having a similar issue a couple years ago but did not find his post.

Thanks Sparkie. It was my suspicion but that thread nails it.

At least from the concept of where to start first.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Could also be BCM related or a sticking relay. I had a spare SRT6 BCM that I recently sold and never tried to swap it out with my BCM since no one could confirm IF the BCM is VIN coded.? Otherwise you could try a straight swap from another SRT.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Last nite while driving the SRT, the interior lights came on. Would not turn off except via the manual switch. OKay.

Today when I got home, the fog lights were on, and would not shut off. The headlight switch works but the fog lights come on when I shut everything off.

Before I get into things and start pulling wires, anybody have a clue?

I love MB cars but still hate the gremlins that hatch when they get about 8 to 10 years old.
I'd be in the trunk looking at the security pump module under the foam. I believe it controls the turning on of he fogs and the delayed off when you turn off the ignition and it also controls the length of time the cabin lights stay on after you get out the car and lock the car.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'd be in the trunk looking at the security pump module under the foam. I believe it controls the turning on of he fogs and the delayed off when you turn off the ignition and it also controls the length of time the cabin lights stay on after you get out the car and lock the car.
And controls the relay that flashes all the lights when you lock the car.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6

My fog light issue happened once while parked near the Air Force Base when a few transient aircraft were stopped by and doing touch-n-go's. I believe this was an instance of EMI from the aircraft interfering witrh the car electronics. There has been a number of instances with other Air Force members who had the same issue. 180 and KDW has a good point with the central locking module as well! Mine has not happened again. Hope you find your 'gremlin'.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: new problem I have not seen here.

Some really good advice in this thread. Thanks onehundred80 & KDW4Him.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, we have a similar interior light malfunction on our 2004 coupe that I'm trying to diagnose. Cabin switch at rearview to off...and all lights stay off. But turn to auto, and they stay on...eternally, regardless of door position or lock status. The exterior lights do flash on fob lock and the headlights switch works fine (we haven't tried the fogs yet). Is there a separate interior lighting relay I could check?
I also imagine that it could be a bad door switch, maybe I'll look there first.
Several thanks,
Brian

Last edited by Kowmander; 11-12-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wife's roadster has the "overhead stuck on" syndrome .. No exit lighting after having headlights on either.. I swapped the BCM from my coupe to hers with no change in operation (I was informed I was lucky I didn't attempt to start the car.. VIN thing..don't know for sure about that one). Odd thing is.. "out of the blue" the exterior lighting has worked a time or two on exiting after headlights were on.

One of these days I'll tunnel into the security pump module I guess..

Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'm gonna have to go with 180 on this one , it seems to makes sense, although the cabin light and the fog lights may or may not be related, I will check mine tonight and report back tomorrow on daylight vs night time functionality . unless somebody beats me to it while they're still daylight today.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 PM

I have had so much going on, I haven't had a chance to look into this. So, her Coupe is sitting there with the battery disconnected.

Got to get the roof over the new sunroom done before winter sets in. Really calling it close with the weather. Once I get shingles on and plastic stapled to the framing, I can back off the carpentry for a bit.

But next week looks to be clear of such interruptions to the more important things in life. Thanks to all for the advice and concerns. I'll post my final successes or failures next week.

I plan to buy a few of these Crossies when the mileage and years make them a bargain for the grandkids. Such gremlins and wrinkles are normal with Benz products so, whatever the lessons learned, it will be useful.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 11-12-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I have had so much going on, I haven't had a chance to look into this. So, her Coupe is sitting there with the battery disconnected.

Got to get the roof over the new sunroom done before winter sets in. Really calling it close with the weather. Once I get shingles on and plastic stapled to the framing, I can back off the carpentry for a bit.

But next week looks to be clear of such interruptions to the more important things in life. Thanks to all for the advice and concerns. I'll post my final successes or failures next week.

I plan to buy a few of these Crossies when the mileage and years make them a bargain for the grandkids. Such gremlins and wrinkles are normal with Benz products so, whatever the lessons learned, it will be useful.

I hope you do get to buy a few for the grandkids but, if the car follows the ten year rule, then value and prices should start to go up! If I had the $ I'd buy at least one more right now.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM

Have you solved this issue. Have you checked the Alarm Siren Module.