Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Convertible top not working

Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top not working

Sorry I am new to Crossfires. I just got this car a few weeks ago. All seems to work on the car except the convertible top. When I unlatch it and raise it up the windows go down but all I get is a slow flashing light on the switch and a beep. I checked the compartment divider in the trunk and put a piece of duct tape on the switch to make sure it is engaged. I do not hear any motors running or any thing unlatching. Is there a procedure to go through to find out what is wrong? What can possibly be the problem and how do I start to figure this out. All the fuses look OK. Can i find the problem from the OBD2 port? Please help Thank you. I do not want to bring the car to the dealer.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top not working

I series with that divider switch in the trunk is the "roof open" switch found in the top assembly just above the passenger's right ear. It has a slider actuator. Check it out.
Also, there is another micro-switch on the trunk latch assembly.
So :
1. divider must be in place
2. top must be in released position
3. trunk must be closed and latched
otherwise, no hydraulic pump and a flashing top light.

In the below link, you should find the 2005 SRT6 Service Manual, it has all the schematics and troubleshooting procedures for the convertible top.
( or direct link to that manual : http://www.jodykrivohlavek.com/_docu...ice_Manual.pdf

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM

I checked out the switch over the passengers head on the top and it seems to work when I move it. I unscrewed it and I can hear it click when I move it. Where is the micro switch on the trunk lock? Do I have to remove the trunk lock assembly to get to it? Do you think the top control unit is bad? Where is the convertible top control unit located? Is it that black box on the drivers side rear fender in the trunk? Thank for your help.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

The most likely problem is the switch located on the passenger side top rail about where a passengers head would be. Sometimes jiggling it will get it to work. Try a search for top not operating and you can find pictures and a part number.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM

I tested the divider switch in the trunk and it seems to work I can hear it click. The switch over the passengers head seems to work i removed the screws and can here it click. The switch on the windshield header must work because the windows go down when I release the top. The only switch I did not test or see is the one on the trunk latch. How do I get to that switch do I have to take the latch assembly out?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, you have to remove the plastic cover panel, then a bunch of 10mm nuts and Torx screws to get the latch off.
Listening to micro switches 'click' is not an absolute science, you really need to meter them for high resistance contacts. ( as in burnt ),
although these switches should never get burnt, as they are only used in an extremely low current mode to sense ground.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Take some time and reread post 2. See that diagram and pin C1-7? With the divider in the trunk up and the top relased and pushed away from the windshield frame, you should measure less than .5 volt referenced to ground there.

If you have more, than either the top open or divider switch is open. The fact you hear the click in the switch is good -but as George said - that is not a perfect test. If you have near zero volts there, we can move on the the trunk latch/lock indication.

THe Module is down in the driver's wheel well, it is mounted to the pump and valve assembly. Taking the trim out of the trunk to get to it is a pain, but not all that hard.

Alternatively, I gues you could measure at the top open switch - since both wires are black, verify zero volts at BOTH pins on the switch. (Keep in mind the ignition has to be on for this test to be valid and make SURE the meter you are using it grounded well or you will get a false reading).

Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 PM

My top for a 2007 xfire is doing the same. I had a lot of water in the trunk well where the central locking pump is located. I removed the pump (the door locks were not working and the alarm would sound at various times) I cleaned the pump with some contact cleaner (I figured it was shot and had nothing to loose). Everything seemed to work except for the top. I now see from the diagram that the CLP is part of the top operation. Does anyone know how to test this module for top operation to see if it is bad or should I just replace it? any opinions would be great.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by crossfiremaniac
Sorry I am new to Crossfires. I just got this car a few weeks ago. All seems to work on the car except the convertible top. When I unlatch it and raise it up the windows go down but all I get is a slow flashing light on the switch and a beep. I checked the compartment divider in the trunk and put a piece of duct tape on the switch to make sure it is engaged. I do not hear any motors running or any thing unlatching. Is there a procedure to go through to find out what is wrong? What can possibly be the problem and how do I start to figure this out. All the fuses look OK. Can i find the problem from the OBD2 port? Please help Thank you. I do not want to bring the car to the dealer.
Mine is having the exact same issue and i see no one ever replied to your thread. There's a video on Youtube to help problem solve it if you haven't already sold it or repaired it.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by 715media
Mine is having the exact same issue and i see no one ever replied to your thread.
Yea no one. Other than me, Ze, George.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pizzaguy
Do you know of anyway I can verify that my convertible top motor is functioning. I have observed that it gets hot when I perform the manual top sync following you instructions, but I hear no sound. I hesitate sending it to TopHydraulics for a replacement not knowing if it is my problem.

MCPO

Old 07-08-2022, 12:37 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MCPO
pizzaguy
Do you know of anyway I can verify that my convertible top motor is functioning. I have observed that it gets hot when I perform the manual top sync following you instructions, but I hear no sound. I hesitate sending it to TopHydraulics for a replacement not knowing if it is my problem.

MCPO
If you are asking how to tell if the pump motor is running just push the button. If it’s running you will have no problem hearing it.

The following users liked this post:
MCPO (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:08 PM

I deserved that!! What I meant, is there a way to hot wire it since the switch does not activate it!

Old 07-14-2022, 05:11 PM

I am making progress on my attempt to get my top in working condition. The micro switch located in the top above the passengers head
does not make a clicking sound when I engages manually. All my other micro switches click. I'm wondering if I can replace that switch with the same
micro switch I used in my trunk to get my spoiler working properly.
Your thoughts!

MCPO

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Four Seasons 2.pdf (1.54 MB, 11 views)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:19 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by MCPO
I am making progress on my attempt to get my top in working condition. The micro switch located in the top above the passengers head
does not make a clicking sound when I engages manually. All my other micro switches click. I'm wondering if I can replace that switch with the same
micro switch I used in my trunk to get my spoiler working properly.
Your thoughts!

MCPO

I thought pizzaguy had written a couple of books on what goes wrong with the top mechanism and how to fix it.
I thought it could all be found by using the search feature or Google.
There has to be a sequence and that cannot be to hard to figure out.
I have a coupe so I never have had to learn the A B C’s of it, lucky me.

The following 2 users liked this post by onehundred80:
Crystal (01-29-2024), MCPO (07-16-2022)