Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

crossfire key replacement!

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossfire key replacement!

hows it going, my car was stuck downtown for a couple of days, due to a snapped key. i managed to get the broken part out so i have the whole key in 2 peices. i towed my car home and recently ordered one from rob at needswings because he was recommended by many people but before that, i called chrysler and they charge me 150 for a new key and 150 for programming. could i be able to buy just the key from the local chrysler and use the same chip in my old key or would i have to buy another one from rob. i want 2 keys just to not repeate the same mistake. thanks.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: crossfire key replacement!

The metal key, can be cut by a locksmith, then put on you FOB. Too get aother key an FOB to opetate your car, Needswings has the best service available to us..imo
2 keys do come in handy..

Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

You can purchase blanks (complete with Fob on EBay)

I had a talented mobile locksmith cut them. Transferred the chip and circuit board from the old FOB and reprogrammed as per instructions on the forum

You will require chip and circuit board from original for the swap

Some sites offer Qty 2 blanks for approx $20

I purchased 2 sets and had them all cut in advance ready for future swap

Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week I was ready to get a spare key for $160 at needswings, and today it shows $679.95 ! Any other websites you can recommend? My old key works fine. I don't have a spare key and a new fob and key is what I need. I saved your post on how to program it. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FinUp
Last week I was ready to get a spare key for $160 at needswings, and today it shows $679.95 ! Any other websites you can recommend? My old key works fine. I don't have a spare key and a new fob and key is what I need. I saved your post on how to program it. Any help will be appreciated.
Word has it dealerships are now right at 1K.. so not there.. LOL

Looks like those of us with working keys need to find a means of RFID chip reading and duplicating..

Old 10-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Thanks for the help. Guess the two tie wraps on the FOB will have to stay for now. HA !

Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Looks like a new SKREEM and two working fobs will soon be worth more than the car itself.
You will be able to make good money by scrapping your car and selling the SKREEM, fobs and ECU and scrapping the rest.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

Price gouging a limited audience. Maybe it's tariffs!!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Price gouging a limited audience. Maybe it's tariffs!!
More likely to be GREED.
But if the part comes from Europe or China then the price could be caused by tariffs as you say.
Make the US great again by stripping Americans of their money.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Price gouging a limited audience.
I was planning on ordering another key next week, but just checked and $679 wtf!!!!!!!
more reasons I want to rip out the whole ignition, wiring, drivetrain and engine and redo it all.
The downside of our cars is the mb electronics

makes it sooo limited on what can be done and adds price gouging...

Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this seriously the only option now? I could see paying 3-350 for one but 700!? That makes me want to risk doing a gut swap to a new fob. Failing that means shelling out 700 though..

Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MGustaveH
Is this seriously the only option now? I could see paying 3-350 for one but 700!? That makes me want to risk doing a gut swap to a new fob. Failing that means shelling out 700 though..
If you have a spare key maybe you should put it in your bank vault beside the family jewels. It might soon come to the point where key is worth more than the car; at which point you advertise the key for sale and throw in the car as a bonus.

The following users liked this post:
janaiy (09-02-2020)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new fob case online a few weeks back and finally got down to swapping out the guts of the original one for the new case. I downloaded the PDF for this project and they were perfect, thanks so much. Now for the not great news. I got to see first hand the poor quality of the replacement after I had opened the original fob. There are some minor issues of where material had leaked in the molding process (nothing a sharp exacto won't clean up) however, there were some difference in the interior, one of which is significant. I'm posting a picture below so you can see the issue I found. The original fob has a white plastic piece that slides over a post and is used to hold the small transponder in the upper corner of the fob. The replacement fob had a mold "T" form in this spot and therefore the transponder holder will not fit. I used a dremel to cut the new one to resemble the original but also found it was slight in the wrong spot. In addition, I noticed that that there are two molded shapes in the original fob to keep the transponder from shifting side to side, this is not in the new fob. I understand that you can glue the transponder to the fob itself but was reluctant to go that route. I getting increasingly irritated at the poor quality of the new case. I finally decided to put everything back in the original one and go find a better fob.

So if you decided to buy a fob off Ebay or some other site, be sure to see pictures of the inside of the case if you can. Otherwise be prepared to do a bit of work to make it work.

Update: The eBay seller has refunded my money for this defective product.

Last edited by Sennaspirit; 11-19-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask the question regarding a Stop/Start button ?
Just use the fob door opening etc.

I know local car electronic shops that advertise fitting at reasonable prices.

Cheers Andy

Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 AM

Perhaps this is too simple (Don’t know why it wouldn’t work. )

if you have one working fob, couldn’t you remove the transponser and glue it onto the back side of the ring (around the ignition) that ties into the SKREEM. if I’m not mistaken, the transponder is only required to get the car started and all set all systems to go. If it’s always next to the SKREEM wouldn’t it solve the problem of second fob?

this way the transponder chip will always be in place and you can use USED OEM with new key or New EBay fobs

The circuit board from any Crossfire fob can be programmed for lock and unlock

interested to hear if anyone has already done this

Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Perhaps this is too simple (Don’t know why it wouldn’t work. )

The circuit board from any Crossfire fob can be programmed for lock and unlock
Good luck with that one.. I've heard of 1 case of an Ebay used fob actually syncing to a car... tons of "didn't work" to go along with that.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM

perhaps I failed to communicate correctly

if you have a fob that works, why couldn’t you remove the chip and install it close to the ring

take the existing circuit board and install it into a new fob case with key blade (no transponder because it resides on the ring)

If this works then you would be able to get a used FOB from EBay for the circuit board

install the circuit board from EBay used fob into eBay new fob with key blade

if the chip on the ring works then the rest of this would cost less than $50

i have progamed a used fob to unlock my car. I cannot dubilcate the transponder

Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Good luck with that one.. I've heard of 1 case of an Ebay used fob actually syncing to a car... tons of "didn't work" to go along with that.
I think that if the circuit board was different on all key sets it would add an unnessary level of complication. It transmits a coded signal which was randomly chosen the last time it was inserted in the ignition and turned on. That coded signal remains unchanged and can be used to lock and unlock the car until the battery is dead.
Upon insertion in the ignition and the chip accepted it is given another random code to be used the next time it is needed to lock or unlock the car.
The chip in the fob gives the key all the security it needs, if the chip is the wrong one then the SKREEM will not react to the wrong signal even if the physical key has been changed to allow the ignition to be turned on. Change the chip to the correct one and all should be okeydokey. There is a sort of pun there.
That’s how I basically understand the workings. The circuit board is just a simple transceiver, sending a previously received coded signal and receiving a new coded signal to replace the old signal when sent.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well sorta. I do not think the circuit board receives anything. It just sends a coded signal to the car. If the car has been taught to accept the fob it will respond. (lock/unlock/panic). It requires a battery.
The RFID chip is different. It must be taught a signal that the SKREEM will accept (programmed). Once this is done then whenever the RFID is strobed by the right power form it will respond with the code. An RFID chip has no intelligence, it just plays back what it has been programmed. It draws power from the field and does not have a battery.

Now once I have a few things (like a key cut) I will try downloading a functional RFID chip and use that to program a new chip then will see if that can create a valet key (85% sure will work).

A separate test will be to build a circuit board system, verify that it is able to transmit, and try to synch.

Once I have all thee elements working, will see if I can use a $7 shell to create a new fob.

Once that is done and I have recorded the waveforms involved then I will look into the SKREEM module itself.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Well sorta. I do not think the circuit board receives anything. It just sends a coded signal to the car. If the car has been taught to accept the fob it will respond. (lock/unlock/panic). It requires a battery.
The RFID chip is different. It must be taught a signal that the SKREEM will accept (programmed). Once this is done then whenever the RFID is strobed by the right power form it will respond with the code. An RFID chip has no intelligence, it just plays back what it has been programmed. It draws power from the field and does not have a battery.

Now once I have a few things (like a key cut) I will try downloading a functional RFID chip and use that to program a new chip then will see if that can create a valet key (85% sure will work).

A separate test will be to build a circuit board system, verify that it is able to transmit, and try to synch.

Once I have all thee elements working, will see if I can use a $7 shell to create a new fob.

Once that is done and I have recorded the waveforms involved then I will look into the SKREEM module itself.
The key code is a rolling code so the circuit board has to pick up the new code.
If you can make a key that will start the car with a cloned chip I would say that I personally would be content with that should I lose my fobs for some reason.
I have opened car doors with a key for years and see it as no real problem if it saved me buying a fob for $600 or so.
I do not have to walk yards away from my car and then hear the beep, I am sure that many did this when the remote locking came out just to impress the onlookers and still do it for some odd reason. I could simply use a key that many people do not realize they have in the later models. It took an emergency with my wife’s car to find it did indeed have a hidden key in the fob. The Hyundai’s Owners Manual is intimidating as it is about the size of the Moby Dick book, so I read sections only when needed.

Quick Reply: crossfire key replacement!