Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo News!!!

GOOD NEWS!!! For the last year I have been talking about completing a twin turbo setup on my Crossfire and many of you have been asking for information. Well, SLS Performance a well known company here in the Salt Lake valley is helping me to complete it and it could be finished in less than sixty days! They are giving me a partial sponsorship but they need to know if they can mass produce 100 - 200 of these kits and if they will be able to sale them! I informed them of this website and told them I would begin a thread to see who would want one! Price range will be approximately $2,500 - $4,500!!! VERY CHEAP COMPARED TO ALL OTHER MODS ON THIS CAR OUT THERE THUS FAR!!!

Tuning will be your own responsibility, but rather than running the larger turbochargers I had previously hoped for we are looking at two much smaller ones (possibly T4). A custom intake and intercooler, blow off valve, etc. will all come with this kit. The reason for scaling back so much is to lower costs and avoid having to invest the massive amount of money it would take in completely rebuilding the engine, trans and clutch... Preliminary tests show the motor to be more than capable of handling six PSI which with the already high compression ratio in the stock setup of 10:1 should produce 13 - 15 hp gains per PSI, which with this setup, and the lighter weight numbers on the base and limited coupes versus the SRT6, should produce Crossfires a few tenths of a second quicker than the SRT-6 on the track! (Not to mention in a damn manual!) The kit will be made so you can easily run higher PSI should you choose to invest in higher quality parts for your engine, etc.

Anyway, we need your support! Please generate some good numbers for me and support this kit! As far as we all know the Crossfire is not doomed yet until the end of 08 so this car still has quite a bit of life left in it making this a worthy investment! The 350Z is on its last year and yet just now hitting its stride in the tuning industry, and our car will as well!

Please please please support this! Further pictures and specs will be released as we proceed!

I will also work on a special Twin Turbo badge for those who buy this kit - just tell me how you would like to see it made. I'm thinking of either simply copying the Crossfire chrome lettering on the rear deck, so that I might move the "Crossfire" lettering up and place "Twin Turbo" just below it in the same style lettering, or possibly I would simply make a smaller badge in the style of the SRT-6 badge that is usually placed on the lower right hand corner of the trunk lid. If you have different ideas, please let me know.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

No thanks...

Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep us informed, just remember tuning it the part we can't seem to get done on this car.
Something to figure out before you proceed.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Forum Regular

I say go for it. curious to see what you can produce!
I would worry about the badges after you've built a proven set up.

How will you be operating the motor, under boost? Will you be using a stand alone ECU from another company?

You might want to order some of the SRT6 parts, such as the rear axles, and get the srt cams otherwise your efforts will be in vain...

Keep us posted, do you have a website where all this will be taking place?

Last edited by dynamicS; 09-03-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
...and get the srt cams otherwise your efforts will be in vain...
SCHRICK CAMS...

Old 09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
SCHRICK CAMS...
Yeah I guess you can order cams from them, but what's cheaper SRT cams that have been engineered for boost by AMG's finest, or doing a one off designed part from Schricks, which will probably require further improvements and testing???
To me he's more interested in producing an inexpensive kit and this may be the way to go.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Yeah I guess you can order cams from them, but what's cheaper SRT cams that have been engineered for boost by AMG's finest, or doing a one off designed part from Schricks, which will probably require further improvements and testing???
To me he's more interested in producing an inexpensive kit and this may be the way to go.
Post the lift and lobe specs for the SRT6 cams and I'll compare them to the Schrick Cams and tell you right away which will produce more improvement. These aren't one-offs, they were designed for the SLK320 in 2000 and are the cam of choice for pro teams like TurnerMotorsports.

With my pro racing discount I can get a set for $1,395 with high tensile springs.

Last edited by HDDP; 09-03-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Forum Regular

hmmm, I wonder if the dealer can supply lift/lobes dimensions??

But with turbo or S/C cams it's more in regards to valve timing, since your not dealing with an aspirated engine, there not that need for overlap of intake and exhaust. Your basically forcing the air mixture into the cylinder by pressure, so there no need to have the exhaust side pulling air flow (low pressure) on the intake valve to help get the mixture fill of the cylinder, while the cylinder is dropping.

I do know on the aftermarket Honda turbo kits from Edelbrock, that they do use the stock cams, but in the kit they supply you with offset keys to change overlap...otherwise you can use an adjustable timing gear, but this would not allow the kit manufacture to be smog legal in 50 states. so you have to supply fixed keys to the consumer in order to pass smog test.

Last edited by dynamicS; 09-03-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 PM

hmmm, I wonder if the dealer can supply lift/lobes dimensions??
Do me a favor, until you know the specs of the cams SRT6 vs. N/A vs. Schrick, don't start professing one is better than the other... The specs for the SRT6 cams are exactly the same as the NA Crossfire. There is no difference in the lift or lobe or angle... I posted the specs for both about a year ago on this forum... Do a search...

The Schrick cams have appx. 5% more lift at both the intake and exhaust.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

Well I'm not talking about the lift or lobe design. I'm speaking about the overlap. I can't imagine the NA and SC cams have the same overlap, wouldn't make any sense.

OK I found the PDF which I think you are talking about, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=HDDP+cams those Shrick cams don't seem to shabby, 13% increase output would make the NA motor deliver 240ish HP, at $950 a piece that not bad.

I don't see any dimensions for Kompressor cams. Just what they list under Mercedes 112 V6 3 valve.

Last edited by dynamicS; 09-03-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:45 PM

well I'm not talking about the lift or lobe design. I'm speaking about the overlap. I can't imagine the NA and SC cams have the same overlap, wouldn't make any sense.

OK I found the PDF which I think you are talking about, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=HDDP+cams those Shrick cams don't seem to shabby, 13% increase output would make the NA motor deliver 240ish HP, at $950 a piece that not bad.

I don't see any dimensions for Kompressor cams. Just what they list under Mercedes 112 V6 3 valve.
Trust me, I've done my research !!! And I can get them for $1,395 a pair...

Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the interest, I have been waiting for such a new for last 2 years. this is one of the car out there that for sure needs a twin turbo on it. You can count me in the list please.

Dariush

Old 09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular

you may have done the research but I just don't believe they are using the same exact cams on S/C engine. it's just not efficient with N/A overlap.
just have to excuse me for beating a dead horse, I just haven't seen all your research...

Last edited by dynamicS; 09-03-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 PM

HDDP - No one doubts you've done your research, but do not be so dismissive with others who pose questions. There is nothing wrong with choosing to be inquisitive instead of just taking someone's word for it.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DyncamicS and HDDP ... lets not focus our energy on the cams so much, overlap or not, a turbo will add power and optimizing cams for it at such a early stage just adds to the sure to be tragic final cost.

To give you an idea, running a T3 Super 60 on my previous 2.0 DOHC in a neon r/t, i was able to extract 310 hp before things like head flow, cam overlap, intake manifold design had to be looked over. Surprisingly, that is about 40 hp below what i estimated it would make at max flow from the compressor maps i looked over. Had i stepped to a 3 inch exhaust and a more efficient intake manifold i am sure it would have seen 330.

So judging from past experience, i am sure the cams in the crossfire are more than adequate at this time for a not too crazy sub 400 hp setup..

I am glad to see so much enthusiasm about this from the more knowledgeable members, hopefully it leads as a positive force to develop this kit...

woot woot we can all hope...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

Alright! Enough about the damned cams already as I said previously this kit is specifically designed to be the cheapest, most efficient power gain for this car! Many of you have been screaming for this for the past two years and now that it's here you are stressing about which cam is better? Testing has already shown this car to be more than capable of handling this power without problem! HDDP - I would've figured you'd be the first one on board for this, with the smaller turbos you'll get power almost right off the line versus the T70's requiring a redline change, etc... Why aren't you interested? As I said in my personal email to you I will be campaigning my Crossfire nationwide next year as well, I would've have figured with the amount of enthusiasm you've show thus far you would have been the first volunteer.
Anyway, the issue with the tuning is simply not included because I figured none of you would want to ship your Crossfire or even just your ECU to Utah for it. Mine will be tuned but we are not prepared to take thirty or forty crossfires or however many we come up with to do the tuning. In reality, with these small of turbos this shouldn't be the biggest issue here.
Aside from that, if you want the cams like I stated in the first place, they're not part of the kit but you're more than welcome to add them if you choose. If HDDP can get such a great deal on them go through him. I really don't care.
As for websites, I'm building one now that will document the progress, I'll let you know as soon as it is started. Due to the heavy use of myspace for businesses and advertising here in northern Utah it will most likely be built through that.

So far only one of you has asked to be on the list, I need some sort of unity here and I need an exact list laid out to present to SLS Performance - they will soon be creating their own login just as CTD-Germany did so they can interact with you as well. Please let us know if you want this or not.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Also, about the ECU - we are most likely going to be using a piggyback system as this would be the cheapest - we'll work with other companies and map it ourselves. We are now discussing using this in the kit as well.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Forum Regular

Alright, enough with the cams then, let's get this project on the road!
I look forward to seeing what you can create...

Last edited by dynamicS; 09-03-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:49 AM

I'm very interested in this but I will not be able to buy it for a few months as I'm away on business (and my xf is currently sitting in a lot ). I get back in early 2007... which should be an ample amount of time for you to tell me if boosting 6 psi will harm your car or not.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by afws04
HDDP - I would've figured you'd be the first one on board for this, with the smaller turbos you'll get power almost right off the line versus the T70's requiring a redline change, etc... Why aren't you interested? As I said in my personal email to you I will be campaigning my Crossfire nationwide next year as well, I would've have figured with the amount of enthusiasm you've show thus far you would have been the first volunteer.
This is one of the many reasons I'm not interested your project.

I haven't posted on here in quite a bit, but my crossfire is falling apart and I need help! As posted in the past, I'm sick of the headache of this car! I long ago intended to be the first to twin turbo this car and would have been almost a year ago had the car not been such a headache! The twin turbo system has been finished and waiting for install for almost six months but problem after problem has prevented it! I haven't modified the car yet to any extent that would cause these problems! So here's my list, please help!

- Car stereo randomly turns on when car is off, locked and no one around!

- Oil light flashes on and off, dealer believes it might be a fault pressure sensor!

- Engine idles extremely rough, shakes the entire car - several mechanics believe it sounds like its misfiring slightly!

- Car backfires when in reverse, occasionally in first!

- Car bogs down badly in low rpm range in first and second gear.

- Transmission does not want to engage when downshifting into second gear for several seconds!

- Can feel the transmission moving a great deal through the shifter in first and second gear, can feel it also "grind" occasionally.

- Car produces a "sucking" noise when gas is applied, sounds to me like something somewhere in the intake or engine or exhaust is stuck, creating a negative air space behind it!

Ahhhh... the car also rattles when I turn it off, but I've already found the threads on here dealing with that. Diagnostic tests only turned up the crank sensor, which controls the timing of the engine - but replacement of that has not cured the problem. Further diagnostics have not turned up anything! The dealerships around here can't get it in for another two weeks, and after having driven it they basically told me (since it's my only car to get around with) "Well, drive it and nothing should happen I doubt the transmission or engine will blow - but if they do they're covered." Arghhh!!! What the hell? And ya know what's funny? The car was running just fine... till I took it to them for an oil change... and started doing all of this immediately after leaving the dealer!!! Only problems are in first and second gear, all other gears are fine! And I know it's not the clutch or flywheel cause I've gone through that before and this is different...
You haven't even installed the turbo in your own car, you don't know if it works, you haven't figured out the ECU issues that will be involved when it is installed. Your car seems to be falling apart for some odd reason !!!

Tuning will be your own responsibility.
With all due respect, would you buy a twin turbo kit from me based on this ? I was born at night, but not last night !!!

Last edited by HDDP; 09-05-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!