Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hi,I just recently purchased my 2004 crossfire coupe. In the last 3 days the car has stalled on me 3 times and the check engine light has come on each time and then goes out after a number of starts. I had my mechanic at work put his code reader on it and it says p0335 crankshaft position sensor error. I am in Canada and the chrysler part is over $200.oo from the dealership. However I have heard a number of stories that the cam shaft sensor also has to be changed out at same time or the fault will continue to show up and car will stall again and again. Did you or anyone else try other brand names to replace the sensor with? These other parts are just over $100.00 here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

2004 white crossfire coupe

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 550 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mugsy99
Hi,I just recently purchased my 2004 crossfire coupe. In the last 3 days the car has stalled on me 3 times and the check engine light has come on each time and then goes out after a number of starts. I had my mechanic at work put his code reader on it and it says p0335 crankshaft position sensor error. I am in Canada and the chrysler part is over $200.oo from the dealership. However I have heard a number of stories that the cam shaft sensor also has to be changed out at same time or the fault will continue to show up and car will stall again and again. Did you or anyone else try other brand names to replace the sensor with? These other parts are just over $100.00 here. Any help would be appreciated.
Buy a Bosch parts from the States, they are about $70.
You do not need to get a cam shaft sensor until it fails, get a spare at the same time as the CPS. In fact get two CPS and one cam shaft position sensor.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Buy a Bosch parts from the States, they are about $70.
You do not need to get a cam shaft sensor until it fails, get a spare at the same time as the CPS. In fact get two CPS and one cam shaft position sensor.
Welcome to the forum.
Got mine.. Bosch.. on Ebay for 45 bucks shipped. So far so good on the Advanced Auto one (car went doa in parking lot same day ordered on Ebay).. and oddly enough the 02 sensors have yet to throw a cel when they would every two weeks before replacing cps..

Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Got it changed out yesterday! WOW at the engine performance and running! What a difference,however removing the damn clip thing was the worst part! There has to be a trick to it and if anyone knows let me know! P.S. Actually had to cave and get my part from Chrysler but a freinds wife works for them so saved over $120.oo on the part!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Got it changed out yesterday! WOW at the engine performance and running!
You know, I've wondered if the sensor couldn't miss a stroke or two and not throw a cel. Mine seems a little more responsive, and the lack of 02 codes being thrown every 2 weeks... And it's ironic how the clip gives some people fits.. while waiting for my wife to get there with the new sensor.. I popped it off and reseated 2-3 times just for grins and attempts to get to start..

Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it changed out yesterday! WOW at the engine performance and running! What a difference,however removing the damn clip thing was the worst part! There has to be a trick to it and if anyone knows let me know! P.S. Actually had to cave and get my part from Chrysler but a freinds wife works for them so saved over $120.oo on the part!
Great,glad you found the Forum ,and reaped the knowlage. Welcome to the Crossfire World

Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 PM

I'd just like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread. Ended up on the side of the road the other night without a clue as to why. With a basic search I had the answer. 60$ sensor, E8 torx, 6" extension, & I was back on the road. I did end up buying a pocket sized diagnostic reader for 90$ which tells u the exact problem rather than just the code. Anywho, thanks again Motha XFers!!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
Well my car was randomly stalling on the streets and was pulling code P0335 which means "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Error". I had problems starting the car after it stalled and I could restart it after a few minutes of cooling down. Apparently the Crankshaft Position Sensor is affected by heat when it fails. I did a lot of research on MBWorld.org and found many threads on the subject: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76431

I pulled it from the service manual already. It just says remove connector but it doesn't say how. There's actually a small clip that attaches to the part. You have to push the rear end down and pull it off. Don't pull on the wire. Then after you have to take a star socket and remove the retaining bolt.

The Mercedes Part # for the Crankshaft Position Sensor is 003 153 27 28. Unfortunately, no local autoparts store in Austin carried it. The average price for an aftermarket part is $80-90. I went to the Mercedes Dealership to get it and the part has been updated to part 003 153 28 28 and it cost $153.90 for the original Mercedes part.

I would say overall that it's easier than replacing a spark plug, but it's in a tight space and you can't really see or maneuver too much. If you're good with mechanics and you have the right tools it should take about 20 minutes to replace, not the 1.25 hours of labor quoted to me.

I've included a bunch of pictures so if you guys ever run into the problem.

Picture #1: Bolt, Star Socket, New part on the left, Old part on the right
Picture #2: Socket, Top of Screw, New on left, Old on right
Picture #3: Rear of engine where sensor is in the center of picture[ATTACH]
Picture #4: Picture of where the sensor goes and the bolt hole
Picture #5: Picture of cable
Picture #6: Picture of sensor installed and cable attached
Picture #7: OBD II - no errors
Small hand needed Louise Car.jpg
Thanks very much for putting up that info.Moved from Ireland to Marbella Spain 2012 .Got parents to drive over my crossfire.When this problem started 2 months later we did not know what to do as mechanics could not fix....only thing i would add is when we took off the little star bolt if fell into a little corner just 1 inch below the sensor.Got stuck in a grove.Took 2 hours to get it out using my wives small fingers.So place a bit of toilet paper under the bolt...so if it falls it won't fall into the grove and will be easy to retrieve...included a pic so know where to locate the sensor on a Right hand drive....good luck Jack

Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Awesome. I dropped thtorx screw into the shield around the sensor. If I can't get it out with a magnet does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Well if you do get it back.. I recommend a small piece of duct tape over the socket and press the screw into it to hold it while you get it positioned for the install. I had recommended this for removal and install earlier. I was lucky and mine fell through to the parking lot.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 09-10-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zx3speed
Awesome. I dropped thtorx screw into the shield around the sensor. If I can't get it out with a magnet does anyone have any suggestions?
Hey..the only way u will get it out is small hands and get a cotton bud and force it behind it, to pop it out...i could not do with my hands but my wives small hands got it eventually...good luck and don't give up...Jack

Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you remove the shield, it makes life a lot easier if it needs to be done in the future. I have large hands and they looked like I was punching a brick wall when this deed was done.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Hello,
Thank you for the information and effort you put into this forum! Bought an 06 Aero Blue SRT earlier this year, P0335 code came up the other day after multiple tries for it to start. Found the part on amazon for $39, another $10 for next day to PR, torx screw set and voila! Back to business.

TIP: I would like to add that after trying for 1.5 hours to get the clip out, I used some long nose pliers to press down the tab and pull it out... 5 seconds!!! If you can get any kind of pliers in the area, try it; it will save you time and some bruises (Ask me how I know)...

-R

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok as usual, I do 1st then read 2nd (bad habit of mine). I had the P0335 code spring up about a year ago. I turned off the motor and restarted and it went out. 2 weeks ago it did it again and when I restarted it did not go out this time so I came the the trusty forum and searched. I read as far as where someone posted they bought one on ebay and it fixed the problem so off the forum and onto ebay I go. I found a site in Az that offered 2 choices. One had a lifetime warranty and one with no warranty. I opted to get 2 of the lifetime warranty sensors so I would have a spare if it did fail again and I would have the 2nd until I could get the 1st one replaced under the warranty. I come back to the forum to see how to replace this (great write up folks) and I read further that I should purchase only Bosch as the others don't quite meet spec. I do wonder what a stealer would use if I brought it into the shop for replacement.

Anyway, while waiting for the new sensors, the code went away and the car is running great. Do I replace the sensor or wait til it fails again. I noticed that both times it threw a code (and started rough), it wasn't raining but it was very humid - like right after a rain. Could the humidity be causing a circuit issue? Should I replace it anyway? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by eruby
Should I replace it anyway? Thanks.
That answer is proportionately equal to the tread depth of your tennis shoes..

In other words.. if your car breaks down and you just consider it just a golden opportunity for a healthy brisk walk to the parts store .. leave that puppy in there..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 550 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by eruby
Ok as usual, I do 1st then read 2nd (bad habit of mine). I had the P0335 code spring up about a year ago. I turned off the motor and restarted and it went out. 2 weeks ago it did it again and when I restarted it did not go out this time so I came the the trusty forum and searched. I read as far as where someone posted they bought one on ebay and it fixed the problem so off the forum and onto ebay I go. I found a site in Az that offered 2 choices. One had a lifetime warranty and one with no warranty. I opted to get 2 of the lifetime warranty sensors so I would have a spare if it did fail again and I would have the 2nd until I could get the 1st one replaced under the warranty. I come back to the forum to see how to replace this (great write up folks) and I read further that I should purchase only Bosch as the others don't quite meet spec. I do wonder what a stealer would use if I brought it into the shop for replacement.

Anyway, while waiting for the new sensors, the code went away and the car is running great. Do I replace the sensor or wait til it fails again. I noticed that both times it threw a code (and started rough), it wasn't raining but it was very humid - like right after a rain. Could the humidity be causing a circuit issue? Should I replace it anyway? Thanks.
The OEM CPS is a Bosch, what a dealer would replace it with is a different story, probably Bosch if he used a factory replacement.
The motto on the forum is "Go Bosch or walk home", well it's my motto actually.
Lifetime replacements are only good when you keep the bill, they hope you lose it.

Humidity probably will not cause a problem unless you have some potential short somewhere.

Keep the CPS you have, after all it is good for life. Just keep a spare and some tools in the trunk

Attached Files

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-31-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

(sorry for the bad english !)

Hello,
The car stalled at an intersection a few days ago, all the lights turned on, I was surprised as it was the first time an automatic car stalled in my hands !
I was unable to restart the car even if the starter would turn, but the engine wouldn't fire up. It just turned for 4 seconds, then stopped. I tried a few times, then decided to park it.
I remembered reading something about a faulty weld in the engine control box so I told myself it was the problem, but when I came home (by foot) it appeared that if the weld was the problem, the starter won't even turn the engine, just as if the car was dead.

So it appears to me that I have 2 possible problems, a Camshaft PS problem, or a Crankshaft PS problem.
Can I possibly know wich one it is ? As I do not have an OBD reader.

And, if I buy a OBD reader, will it tell me what is going on, as when I restarted the car, 6 hours later, the engine problem light didn't come on ?

Thank you..

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Is it possible you ran the battery down enough to cause it not to start? These cars don't do the old "slow crank low battery" sign. They either have enough juice or don't crank at all.
The died and wouldn't restart - engine would spin with starter - is typical Crank Positioning Sensor symptoms.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM

I'm sure it's not the battery because I tried like 5 or 6 times to restart the car and the starter would just do the normal crank sound for 5 seconds. I already had to change my battery and when it started going week, the starter would crank but would make a weak sound, then a few days later, just a "clack clack clack clack" with nothing moving !
Nothing similar here !

But what are the different symptoms betwin a camshaft positionning sensor problem and a cranckshaft positionning sensor problem ?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM

I have a P0335 & P0400 reading since my check engine light is on and don't know why.The performance hasn't changed and no stalling or other factors have been observed. I recently changed oil and air filters but that shouldn't have a thing to do with the check engine light.Has anybody else experienced this? 2005 base model.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor