Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hey Guys, I am back. Sorry for the long delay. Went through a divorce but things are finally looking up again. The engine is still stashed at a freind house who has a large shop for his street rods just outside of my developement (Lantana). For anyone in the DFW area I am north of the DFW airport just north of Flower Mound near Argyle. Feel free to contact me and stop by. I have all the parts ready to go, but the hold up was financial. The only real unknown is the electronics and I wanted to have a bunch of cash ready if things don't work as planned. Right now I am looking at late March to pull the V6 out and drop in the V8.

Today I was working on the car and installed the dealer front camber bolts and have started to install the KMAC rear camber/Toe kit. Tomorrow I will be mounting new rear tires 265/40/18's. I posted this project today in the suspension area.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire after bath.JPG (96.7 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back! I would love to stop by sometime and check it out. I used to live in Flower Mound but now live near McKinney. We have a Crossfire Meet today over near Colleyville at 4:00....you should swing by. See the details in the Texas thread about the DFW GTG.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM

I would love to be able to show up today, but my car is on jackstands with the rear suspension apart. I am hoping to get it back together today but need to find a place that can press out the old bushing so I can finish installing my Camber kit.

Now that I am focused again on geting the V8 swap done. I am glad I started this thread. I have had to re-read my posts just to get back up to speed after aa very long break.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I would love to be able to show up today, but my car is on jackstands with the rear suspension apart. I am hoping to get it back together today but need to find a place that can press out the old bushing so I can finish installing my Camber kit.

Now that I am focused again on geting the V8 swap done. I am glad I started this thread. I have had to re-read my posts just to get back up to speed after aa very long break.
Don't let not being able to bring your Crossfire stop you from joining us.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM

If I can't find someplace open today with a press I might stop by. I will have to borrow my son's car. Some parts stores have presses so I am going to call around. I also have to get my new rear tires mounted and balanced. Thank you for the invitation.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM

i still am excited to see this done, sorry to hear bout the divorce lantana. it wasn't the girl in your avatar, was it? if so im really sorry, lol, nice butt

Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When this is done will it be quicker then a SRT-6? sorry if this question is answerd somewhere but theres so many pages I'm slack on reading them all.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kolevski
When this is done will it be quicker then a SRT-6? sorry if this question is answerd somewhere but theres so many pages I'm slack on reading them all.
It will have a little more HP and torque than an SRT6 initially but once it is running like a stock Mercedes, I am planning on adding a HPS supercharger kit with a smaller pulley. Once that is on I will have over 400RWHP and will then go looking for unsuspecting Vette's.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 AM

He's BAAAAACK !!! Welcome back to the fold Lantana !

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Glad to see this thread revived by the OP. Looking forward to the results!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM

I am real excited now that it is all starting up again. I was glued to the thread before it died =) cant wait. this all better have alot of piictures through the process =) thanks.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome back dude. Sorry bout the divorce.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM

It is good to be back! I am very anxious to get this done! I will be working on it this Saturday. Mostly to get back up to speed and check everything that needs to be done prior to pulling the engine. I will be sending the V8 ECU off to Beckman this weekend to get it unlocked.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

It is good to be back! I am very anxious to get this done! I will be working on it this Saturday. Mostly to get back up to speed and check everything that needs to be done prior to pulling the engine. I will be sending the V8 ECU off to Beckman this weekend to get it unlocked.
Glad your back! Still can't wait to see this beast done... keep us up to date!

And I have a question about the rear bushings...
Since you've done more suspension work and such than I have is there anyway a rear bushing could cause a high pitch squeaking noise?

I have a horrible noise coming from the rear... mostly under partial throttle. I'm sending my Koni's in to have the rears rebuilt do to a rattle and have been told that it's "impossible" for Koni's to squeak.

Any input is appreciated!
Again glad your back!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular

It will definatly be one hell of a ride, although wouldnt it be cheaper to have found an SRT-6 engine and just upgrade the supercharger and other mods etc? But I guess it depends if your a hp junkie it might work but some people just want to have a V8, heck if I could afford it I'd get a V8 aswell

Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by 04Fire
Glad your back! Still can't wait to see this beast done... keep us up to date!

And I have a question about the rear bushings...
Since you've done more suspension work and such than I have is there anyway a rear bushing could cause a high pitch squeaking noise?

I have a horrible noise coming from the rear... mostly under partial throttle. I'm sending my Koni's in to have the rears rebuilt do to a rattle and have been told that it's "impossible" for Koni's to squeak.

Any input is appreciated!
Again glad your back!
I doubt it is your bushings since they are rubber and rubber bushings just don't squeak. Probably not the shiock either. I would check the rear bearings and CV joints if it is happening under part throttle.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by kolevski
It will definatly be one hell of a ride, although wouldnt it be cheaper to have found an SRT-6 engine and just upgrade the supercharger and other mods etc? But I guess it depends if your a hp junkie it might work but some people just want to have a V8, heck if I could afford it I'd get a V8 aswell
I am an ex drag racer and we always believed that "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Just about anything you can do to a small engine you can do to a large one. Costs have been realy reasonable so far. I have a complete engine that came from a totaled CL500 that according to car fax was totaled with less than 1000 miles on it. I have all the parts to complete the swap and have barely spent over $2,000. All I have left is my manual labor and the programing which shouldn't be more than $1k - $2,000. When I am done I will have only third V8 Crossfire in the world. the other two are Startech and are in the UK and Germany. My goal has been to build something that surprises the hell out of Corvette owners.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I am an ex drag racer and we always believed that "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Just about anything you can do to a small engine you can do to a large one. Costs have been realy reasonable so far. I have a complete engine that came from a totaled CL500 that according to car fax was totaled with less than 1000 miles on it. I have all the parts to complete the swap and have barely spent over $2,000. All I have left is my manual labor and the programing which shouldn't be more than $1k - $2,000. When I am done I will have only third V8 Crossfire in the world. the other two are Startech and are in the UK and Germany. My goal has been to build something that surprises the hell out of Corvette owners.
Any updates yet?

If your only $1K - $2K away from the finish line you could sell the 3.2L engine for close to that pretty easy.

With the stock engine still in the car - you can take a potential buyers for drive to let them see what their getting and then a wrench like you can pull that puppy out in less two hours - - Then you would have the $$ on hand to do the programming!

I'll be in Texas end of this month - you gonna be ready to take that V8 beast out to the Texas Mile for some test runs?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Any updates yet?

If your only $1K - $2K away from the finish line you could sell the 3.2L engine for close to that pretty easy.

With the stock engine still in the car - you can take a potential buyers for drive to let them see what their getting and then a wrench like you can pull that puppy out in less two hours - - Then you would have the $$ on hand to do the programming!

I'll be in Texas end of this month - you gonna be ready to take that V8 beast out to the Texas Mile for some test runs?
Great idea!

Anyone need a great running 3.2?

Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Finding a low milage V8 at a good price is hard as hell!

My limited N/A manual V6 needs more power!

I might be listing my uncles rear ended Srt-6 for parts to save up for this Ultimate build!!

PS

It got creamed by a Cadillac SUV... Engine looks ok .. I think... but Its no V8. I was thinking about keeping the engine, seats, etc... but the car starting to rust! On a good day I will see what all is worth keeping! Does any one want to trade a rusted SRT-6 for a low mile V8 (No glass, water damage, walked away with a little limp)
I sent you a message V8 guy!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary