Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
Finding a low milage V8 at a good price is hard as hell!

My limited N/A manual V6 needs more power!

I might be listing my uncles rear ended Srt-6 for parts to save up for this Ultimate build!!

PS

It got creamed by a Cadillac SUV... Engine looks ok .. I think... but Its no V8. I was thinking about keeping the engine, seats, etc... but the car starting to rust! On a good day I will see what all is worth keeping! Does any one want to trade a rusted SRT-6 for a low mile V8 (No glass, water damage, walked away with a little limp)
I sent you a message V8 guy!
I didn't receive a message. Finding a low mileage V8 takes some patience. I got pretty lucky. I got a great buy on an engine from a 2002 CL500 that was totaled in the rear almost as soon as it rolled off the show room floor. It was then tied up in some sort of litigation for a few years before any parts where allowed to be sold. It is a good idea to be careful of engines from a front end total. It is also a good idea to get the Vin number from the donor car and do a Carfax so you have a better idea of its history.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing to this, after you told me it was possible on the other thread.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Smile Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hello Boys,
I would like to join your conversation because i think I can tune up this upgrade/conversion from mercedes v6 to v8 engine.
I'm now upgrading my automatic 2003 CLK 240 (v6-2.6l-177hp - 125kw) to a 2003 V8 55AMG taken from another CLK whitch i bought 2 weeks ago with automatic speedshift gearbox and ECU.

So, I'm facing same difficulties than our freind Lantana, but I have nice Knowledge of Mercedes Benz and Bosch Electronics and chiptuning.

Normally, the mechanical part of my project will be done on the end of the week, then I will do the second part which is Electronics and programming.

I'm going to take a pics and show you how to do in order to bypass simply the immo, I have a bosch ME2.8 ECU like Lantana's ECU.

The simple way is to desolder eprom which contains immo data from Original ECU then solder Eprom to the newest (donor ECU). So Lantana dont have to make thousand of kilometers to go to Dallas, he can do this by an electronic reparator at his own town.

Then after my car carnks and start, i will set up a V8 supercharger that i bought a couple of months ago taken from a CL 55 AMG Kompressor.

Lantana: I have STAR Diagnostic, flash programmer ... all we need to do electronics work.

I can Help you, we will see how to handle that. Have you the opportunity to send bin file extarcted from your ECU's etc...

Hearing from U Guys.

Karim H.
Paris.
France.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Hello Boys,
I would like to join your conversation because i think I can tune up this upgrade/conversion from mercedes v6 to v8 engine.
I'm now upgrading my automatic 2003 CLK 240 (v6-2.6l-177hp - 125kw) to a 2003 V8 55AMG taken from another CLK whitch i bought 2 weeks ago with automatic speedshift gearbox and ECU.

So, I'm facing same difficulties than our freind Lantana, but I have nice Knowledge of Mercedes Benz and Bosch Electronics and chiptuning.

Normally, the mechanical part of my project will be done on the end of the week, then I will do the second part which is Electronics and programming.

I'm going to take a pics and show you how to do in order to bypass simply the immo, I have a bosch ME2.8 ECU like Lantana's ECU.

The simple way is to desolder eprom which contains immo data from Original ECU then solder Eprom to the newest (donor ECU). So Lantana dont have to make thousand of kilometers to go to Dallas, he can do this by an electronic reparator at his own town.

Then after my car carnks and start, i will set up a V8 supercharger that i bought a couple of months ago taken from a CL 55 AMG Kompressor.

Lantana: I have STAR Diagnostic, flash programmer ... all we need to do electronics work.

I can Help you, we will see how to handle that. Have you the opportunity to send bin file extarcted from your ECU's etc...

Hearing from U Guys.

Karim H.
Paris.
France.
Bonjour Karim,

I have read online about some who have chenged the Eprom, but the only shops around Dallas that have the Star Diagnostic sytem and the willingness to work with me had no idea how to make this work except to send the donor V8 ECU to a company in Atlanta to have it "unlocked" and then reprogramed to the car (VIN, key and so on). I could easily get the Eprom done locally. I undertand that this is not something I should attempt myself.

I don't understand about sending the bin file. I am not an expert on the electronics. the electronics is what stalled this project becuase I wanted to have lots of money on hand if things don't go as planned. I would be very interested in the best way to make the electronics work proplerly. On thing I am worried about is the state annual inspection process. They have to be able to read the VIN number when they plug into the OBDII port. I appreciate any help you can give! merci beaucoup!!

Last edited by LantanaTX; 04-01-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular

I talked to a guy at an audio store and he said that if you installed an automatic start on you car, you could By pass alot of the electrical stuff! He said you will need the electronic key from the donor car, the ECU, and the wiring harnes. He said the code on the electronic key will be used to auto start the car, therefore by passing your stock ignitiion. He has done this by pass on many top line project cars and save money when dealing with the electrnics! The only down fall is that you will only be able to auto start you car.

Have anyone else heard of this type of Electronic by pass.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karim's approach sounds far too optimistic, considering he has never done it before.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Karim's approach sounds far too optimistic, considering he has never done it before.
Actually I think Karim's approach may work. I had read about people getting around the imobilization this way. I was going this route until I talked to Beckman in Atlanta who deals with used ECU's A big part of his business is making used ECU's usable when someone needs a replacement and don't want to have to buy a new one from the dealer. Just getting the key from the donar car won't work in this conversion because the ECU also checks the VIN number against what is stored in the ECU. You will find some people claim you need the whole dash and the ignition and key from the donar. I don't plan on doing any of that. I am anxious to see Karim work and hope he is successful.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks for all of you for quick reply, I'm glad to carry on this conversation.
Ok, let's clarify some points:

Mercedes Benz like Chrisler Crossfire use two modules for the initial start:
EZS module (module behind where you insert the key) and Engine ECU (called ME2.8-SFI).
These two modules communicate each other when you put ignition on and start the car using CAN protocol for communication (Controlled Area Network). Within this communication, each module verify data coded and stored with the other.

So on EZS module, it's stored keys codes, VIN etc ...
On ECU there is two active components for this: Eprom and Flash:
On the Flash whitch is an AMD 29F400BB 44 pin, is stored engine management program, cartography, ignition etc ... and no VIN number;
On the Eprom There is stored Immo Data which can be programmed once when the ECU is "Virgin" as new one. So what we have to do, is to reset the donor ECU to make IMMO OFF, so we can reprogram it using DAS STAR Diag.

But Lantana is Lucky, Both ECU you have are Bosch ME2.8, if you desolder the Flash from Donor ECU and solder on the initial crossfire ECU, IMMO data will be exactly the same (not changed), and Engine Management will work fine because the Flash on Donor ECU is programmed to the V8 engine you install and that flash is on the Initial ECU.

Thats what I'm going to do: replace flash.
My origin engine and gear box are down the floor from yesterday, today I'm going to install wiring harness on the 55 AMG engine, speedshift gearbox, hydrolic pump and belt. Then install the V8 55 engine in the car and wiring.

By tomorrow or monday I will arrange electronics and try to START ..

Hope you success and wating for reply.
Karim H.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Thank you Karim, I am accessing this forum from my Blackberry as I am sitting on a plane bound for Nicaragua. I am taking group there on a humanitarian trip and will be back Sunday.

I am very anxious to hear how you conversion turns out. What you state is very Exciting! If I had knon this I would have had the V8 running a year ago! Please keep us posted as your results have a direct application to our cars as well.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM

I can't wait to see how this all turns out either. I'm so looking forward to a v8/6spd Crossfire. I think it would give the SRT a good run for the money.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Wink Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hello Boys and Girls,

Just for information, as I upgrade my engine with AMG Kompressor (V8 supercharger), I ordered an brand new engine wiring harness (suits 113.991 engine 55 K) whitch will be available at MB dealer on tuesday morning, so my project is going to be little late from my initial planning and schedule. I also ordered pulley, belt and what needed for supercharger intercooler (water pump ...). GRR I have also to reflash ECU with V8 55 AMG Kompressor bin file.

I beleive my project is a little optimistic as said, but I made an upgrade before this, I boosted my V6 2.6 original engine with intercooled V6 AMG supercharger taken from c32 AMG Kompressor (same as SRT-6), with upgrading ECU and So on .. I have obtained around 290 HP (177HP, 125Kw origin).

You can believe my goal is 500HP from this 5.5 V8 engine, so my CLK W209 will be the powerfull one (before DTM version of course ).

ps:
Lantana: do you finish mounting all mechanical parts, if yes, do you confirm only what you need is starting engine with some modification of electronic staff??

Keep you posted.
Karim.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 AM

Hi Lantane,

Coud you open ECU and tell me if you can find an ST95080 EEprom (send me photo if possible).
After long search and labor, i'm sure now this is the component who stores immo data on the ECU.
So The Absolute solution for You (for my case also), is to swap this EEprom or Duplicate it from your Original ECU to 55AMG Donor ECU. In other words, this EEprom must be on ECU plugged to your car, it's her FINGERPRINT .

I also found solution to empty/Virgin ECU last week-end, I didn't test it yet but I'll do it after new Engine is mounted. But Virgin ECU needs STAR DAS or MB CARSOFT 7.4 in order to initialize it and swapping EEprom just need a Rework station (hot air desoldering) which you can do it at an electronic reparator/audio shop.

Hearing from U.
Karim.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 AM

I have not done the mechanical work yet but have the parts to do it. I am using C43 exhaust manifolds as they look like they will bolt right up to the stock exhaust. the C43 echaust is missing the bungs for the O2 sensors, so I have to have these welded in. It also looks like you can use the V6 engine mounts, but I was going to take a look at C43 mounts to see if they are similar. you will have to come up with much slimmer cooling fans as the engine takes up about four more inches. I have a set of dual 12inch fans that I will use. Let me know what you come up with.

I had been planning on having the CL500 ECU turned into a Vigin ECU which can be done by Beckman in Atlanta for $250 and then use the Star diagnostic system to associate it to the Crossfire. It is my understanding that after a third attemp to start the car it will lock again. So you should not attempt to turn the key until you have it hooked up to the diagnostic system. I haven't found anyone local who has done this and only two people willing to attempt the re-programing of the virgin ECU. Swapping Eproms sounds like an easy solution if it works. Please keep me informed as to which way you decide to go and how it works.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Forum Regular

Hello Boys and Girls,

Just for information, as I upgrade my engine with AMG Kompressor (V8 supercharger), I ordered an brand new engine wiring harness (suits 113.991 engine 55 K) whitch will be available at MB dealer on tuesday morning, so my project is going to be little late from my initial planning and schedule. I also ordered pulley, belt and what needed for supercharger intercooler (water pump ...). GRR I have also to reflash ECU with V8 55 AMG Kompressor bin file.

I beleive my project is a little optimistic as said, but I made an upgrade before this, I boosted my V6 2.6 original engine with intercooled V6 AMG supercharger taken from c32 AMG Kompressor (same as SRT-6), with upgrading ECU and So on .. I have obtained around 290 HP (177HP, 125Kw origin).

You can believe my goal is 500HP from this 5.5 V8 engine, so my CLK W209 will be the powerfull one (before DTM version of course ).

ps:
Lantana: do you finish mounting all mechanical parts, if yes, do you confirm only what you need is starting engine with some modification of electronic staff??

Keep you posted.
Karim.

can you go into more detail about you v6 supercharger addon that it self sounds like a big accomplishment. i hope you are more active on the forum as you have much important info to share about the ecu. If you can get a good ecu tuning or even modding it to get it prepped for supercharger or v8 you could get your R&D cost or even some nice profits to bump up the V8.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I have not done the mechanical work yet but have the parts to do it. I am using C43 exhaust manifolds as they look like they will bolt right up to the stock exhaust. the C43 echaust is missing the bungs for the O2 sensors, so I have to have these welded in. It also looks like you can use the V6 engine mounts, but I was going to take a look at C43 mounts to see if they are similar. you will have to come up with much slimmer cooling fans as the engine takes up about four more inches. I have a set of dual 12inch fans that I will use. Let me know what you come up with.

I had been planning on having the CL500 ECU turned into a Vigin ECU which can be done by Beckman in Atlanta for $250 and then use the Star diagnostic system to associate it to the Crossfire. It is my understanding that after a third attemp to start the car it will lock again. So you should not attempt to turn the key until you have it hooked up to the diagnostic system. I haven't found anyone local who has done this and only two people willing to attempt the re-programing of the virgin ECU. Swapping Eproms sounds like an easy solution if it works. Please keep me informed as to which way you decide to go and how it works.

i know this sounds stupid but is it really as simple as ripping out the eeprom and swapping it to another ecu and then unlock and flash a new firmware and then mate to the key for programming to new ecu. What about the security SKREEM module that takes care of the transponder chip in the key. This sounds like you could get it up and running from $500-$750 and then add another $500 for a custom tune and you would have a bad *** ecu

Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Smile Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by faiz23
can you go into more detail about you v6 supercharger addon that it self sounds like a big accomplishment. i hope you are more active on the forum as you have much important info to share about the ecu. If you can get a good ecu tuning or even modding it to get it prepped for supercharger or v8 you could get your R&D cost or even some nice profits to bump up the V8.
Please find a summary below of what I've done on the V6 engine:

- unmount manifold, cut the mount of air pump
- change injectors from 171cc to 420cc (very important)
- mount V6 Kompressor with new gaskets (obstruct pressure sensor and air temperature sensor) and kept AMF air mass flow sensor
- mount water cooler and water pump for supercharger intercooler
- keep original ECU but change fuel MAP inside to get correct air/fuel ratio (around 11:1) cause injectors aren't same and air intake is greater, first i had a smoke because the mixture was too rich.
- Supercharger clutch and water pump are plugged to direct 12 DC after ignition on, because i didn't find ME2.8 ecu file dump of c32 amg komp neither from crossfire srt-6.
- mount new belt same as c32 k, and cut two teeth from it, because it's 8 teeth belt, and pulleys on my engine are just 6.

To change ECU fuel map, I used ECM2001 software, desolder the AMD 29F400BB 44pin microcontroller, remap it using GALEP5 microchip programmer and re-solder it into the ECU.

Wating for tomorrow morning like baby waits for his gifts
Tomorrow i'll have my wiring harness and continue the story ..

Keep In touch
Karim H.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Please find a summary below of what I've done on the V6 engine:

- unmount manifold, cut the mount of air pump
- change injectors from 171cc to 420cc (very important)
- mount V6 Kompressor with new gaskets (obstruct pressure sensor and air temperature sensor) and kept AMF air mass flow sensor
- mount water cooler and water pump for supercharger intercooler
- keep original ECU but change fuel MAP inside to get correct air/fuel ratio (around 11:1) cause injectors aren't same and air intake is greater, first i had a smoke because the mixture was too rich.
- Supercharger clutch and water pump are plugged to direct 12 DC after ignition on, because i didn't find ME2.8 ecu file dump of c32 amg komp neither from crossfire srt-6.
- mount new belt same as c32 k, and cut two teeth from it, because it's 8 teeth belt, and pulleys on my engine are just 6.

To change ECU fuel map, I used ECM2001 software, desolder the AMD 29F400BB 44pin microcontroller, remap it using GALEP5 microchip programmer and re-solder it into the ECU.

Wating for tomorrow morning like baby waits for his gifts
Tomorrow i'll have my wiring harness and continue the story ..

Keep In touch
Karim H.
So let me get this straight.... You started with a V6, then added a supercharger. That wasn't fast enough, so now you are adding a V8 and then you are going to add a supercharger to the V8? And the V6 ran good? We have a guy on here that swapped a C32/SRT-6/SLK32 engine into his normally aspirated Crossfire. He ended up using an Aftermarket ECU for his track only Crossfire. If you can make all this stuff work, someone here needs to just give you a Crossfire or at least make you an honorary CICCI member!! Keep us posted on the V8 and post some pictures when you get chance. I have rotor and pads on the way to use with my MB Brembo calipers, and changed out the shocks tonight. After that all atention goes to my V8. Since my main worry is the ECU, I hope to be right behind you on getting this running. Once my car runs like it came with the V8, I will be looking to add a turbo or supercharger. Adding the MB V8 superchaerger to the CL500 engine might be nice if it can be made to run.

I will open both ECU's and take some pictures this weekend. I did this once before and they looked identical.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

i like the progress we are getting here Karim it would be awesome if you can go in detail in the future and make a thread on the v6 supercharger. I think you have very fine skills when it comes to custom work and working on ecu's. I remember how flexible chipped honda ecu's are and hate MB for having such hard to work on ecu. You on the other hand seem to know the ecu better than some of the members on the board and even a bunch of seasoned mechanics. I think i will want to get some future services for ecu work and other goodies and you can make a little extra money for the supercharger on the v8.

do you have any pics of the work you did on the v6 project and the v8 project, if you want you can email me and i can host it for you.

thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Question for you, why didn't you use the temp sensor in the Y-pipe? The temperature differential between the MAF and what was actually going into the cylinders would be quite substantial. I would think this would affect the AFR. Also, I too would like to see pictures because the whole front of the engine is different between the two and as far as I've been able to determine, it isn't as simple as knocking two ribs off the belt and putting all the pulleys on because they are in physically different locations and some don't even have a place to be mounted on the N/A water pump. Maybe I've missed something but my car is tore apart right now down to the guts and I don't think I'm seeing what you're seeing.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
Question for you, why didn't you use the temp sensor in the Y-pipe? The temperature differential between the MAF and what was actually going into the cylinders would be quite substantial. I would think this would affect the AFR. Also, I too would like to see pictures because the whole front of the engine is different between the two and as far as I've been able to determine, it isn't as simple as knocking two ribs off the belt and putting all the pulleys on because they are in physically different locations and some don't even have a place to be mounted on the N/A water pump. Maybe I've missed something but my car is tore apart right now down to the guts and I don't think I'm seeing what you're seeing.

Thanks

you have much to learn young jedi use the force and try to envision the supercharger on top of the airbox lol.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary