Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a while

Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a while

It could be moisture related, I noticed it happens when it rains. Ill be driving my crossfire, and it literally just turns off, like I stalled it, but I didnt. I usually wont be able to turn it back on after a few hours, Ill turn the key in the ignition and it cranks, but doesnt turn the car on. I know its not the battery because my light still turns on and everything. When I finally get it started, the check engine light comes on.

thanks,
Lou

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I cant get it started again for a while

also, its an 04' chrysler coupe

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I cant get it started again for a while

CEL codes? It may be the Crankshaft Position Sensor, or it's cable connector.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the dreaded fuel relay too.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 PM

sorry, no codes pop up or anything, not sure how to check for them either

Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can, drive to AutoZone. They will check it for free. Write it/them down and ask us again!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Mine did that too Crankshaft Position Sensor (Auto zone) About $90.00
Like Maxcichon said.
Its easy to replace, dont bother taking off the heat shield just bend it over a little then bend it back when done....

Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a wh

Where do you put in the computer to check the codes the autozone guy doesn't know

Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a wh

Where do you put in the computer to check the codes the autozone guy doesn't know

Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie K
Like states above, your symptoms point to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. We replace at least 1 a week at the Benz dealer I work at. It picks up the starter ring to see TDC cyl#1 and tells the ME to fire fuel and spark. If the car is cold, the install takes 20mins max. The sensor is held in by 1 10mm bolt on the engine near the trans bell housing.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by Louie K
On the right side of the lever for popping the hood is a little flip down cover. Under that is your OBD port.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a while

If the crank sensor doesn't do it, try a couple of old-school things: 1) put in clean air filters. 2) Right after it dies, open the gas cap, then reclose it. If 2) cures it for a while there's a venting problem like a bad gas cap.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Like states above, your symptoms point to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. We replace at least 1 a week at the Benz dealer I work at.
That comes up a lot here... I think I'll order one and keep it in the "kit" in the garage.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
That comes up a lot here... I think I'll order one and keep it in the "kit" in the garage.
Good idea dude. Im thinking bout putting one in my car. I keep an extra serpentine belt and wrench too just in case one shreds.... For those long trips or another car in the club might need one....

Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
CEL codes? It may be the Crankshaft Position Sensor, or it's cable connector.
Mine has done this as well

04 Limited with 53K on the odometer.

Check engine light is presently on
Just cleaned the K&Ns and re-oiled (light was on before I did this)
Ran OBD II scan and have two codes
P2099 and P2096

I have a two vol factory manual but can't find codes

any ideas??

thank you

Old 08-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by speaks2all
Mine has done this as well

04 Limited with 53K on the odometer.

Check engine light is presently on
Just cleaned the K&Ns and re-oiled (light was on before I did this)
Ran OBD II scan and have two codes
P2099 and P2096

I have a two vol factory manual but can't find codes

any ideas??

thank you
I changed the plugs did a rescan and P2099 and P2096 are gone.

Concerning the engine stopping, if you get the P0335 OBD II code change your crank position sensor (use Bosch only) and that code will clear and your engine will no longer shut off.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Default Re: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a while

My 05 Crossfire is doing the samething! The tech told me there was a 50/50 chance it "could be" the Accelerator Pedal Sensor that's making it shut off. Hmmmm... 50/50 chance... at $682.00. I'm heartbroken. I thought I was taking my car to a professional

Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

CPS or RCM.....two biggest cause for the car not to run...one will crank but not start, the other won't do anything...so look into Crankshaft Position Sensor/Relay Control Module

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by THICK_DIVA
My 05 Crossfire is doing the samething! The tech told me there was a 50/50 chance it "could be" the Accelerator Pedal Sensor that's making it shut off. Hmmmm... 50/50 chance... at $682.00. I'm heartbroken. I thought I was taking my car to a professional
The "tech"? There was a time an engineer was an ENGINEER (someone with a degree in electrical or mechanical engineering). There was a time when a "Tech" was a qualified technician with both formal training and experience in the field of interest. Not any more... now "tech" or "engineer" is simply a label. Meaningless.

Anyway, you are describing a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. Read this thread for instructions on how to order and replace it: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...on-sensor.html

It COULD be the RCM, but I'd bet money on the CPS.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 AM

I have been reading all of the replies. I am having a similar problem with my 04 Coupe.

When I am at a stop light sometimes it will stall. I does start right up. Sometime it will stall again. The check engine light comes on and will usually shut off. The Chrysler Dealer changed the MASS Airflow Sensor and the MAP Sensor to attempt to resolve. It is still happening.

Could this also be the Crank Position Sensor?

Thank everyone for your help..

Quick Reply: Crossfire just turns off while driving, and I can't get it started again for a while