Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Turbo Diary

Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default V8 Turbo Diary

I have made the decision that the next step for the V8 Crossfire will be to turbo charge it. I intend to design my own system based on a rear mount system. I bought the first part yesterday which is a ML55 AMG engine cover. the one I bought is pictured below and I bought it off of Ebay. I like this engine cover for a turbo and you can see in the picture the cover was last used for a supercharger project on a AMG C43. I like the exposed intake manifold which I will probably polish.

I will probably change the cams to 55K or SLR but that is about it for engine work. One of the key advantages of the rear mount turbo is much less heat and barely the need for an intercooler. I will use an intercooler and expect charge temps to be ambient. My goal is 500-600HP.

Other mods I will be working on at the same time will be beefing up the trans and getting firmer shifts as well as C55/CLK55 rear end with a quaife differential.

I have a lot of studying to do and this will take some time, but like the V8 conversion, i will get it done. for you guys that have knowledge that will help me, please feel free to post as I have a lot to learn.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: V8 Turbo Diary

Wow! Didn't take long for you to get started on the next level!
I did a DIY rear mount on a 92 Camaro. Not a difficult job for that application.
Good luck with the project!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lantana attemptin to be the first Crossfire in the 9's or just out to mess with the Lambo's and Ferrari's ???

Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And you're having traction issues NOW?!!?

Hahaha I love it. You go man

Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM

I was doing some searching and came accross Mongillo Motors. Ed at Mongillo has done many rear mount turbos including a SL500. He was very interested in how I got around the electronic issues as he ended up running a stand alone Mega Suirt ECU on the SL500. We have decided to share information and he is going to give me a reccomended parts list. A couple of interesting points he made was that he strongly reccomends that I don't use an intercooler as he has done many installations and the intercooler decreased performance on lower boost applications. We also discussed turbo selection and he thinks I would be better off going with strong mid range rather than the largest possible peak HP dyno number inorder to have a car that is the most enjoyable to drive daily.

for tuning, I am considering using 55 Kompressor ECU coding and harness/sensors since this could easily handle the boost levels I am looking at. Ed feels that since I won't exceed the boost level that the 55K produces this may work. I also think this is how Karim (Kanzus) solved the tuning issue when he added a supercharger to his n/a 55 engine. The 55K ECU tuning can deal with boost in the 10-15lb range.

I will probably mount the turbo behind the rear end at the begining of the the muffler area and then use a couple of long resonated tip instead of a muffler. the only real downside to this will be losing the Anza muffler which sounds so good

Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM

I am really excited to see the progress on this... Good luck with everything.

You are really going to open the doors for the N/A...and the SRT6.

What are you thinking about doing for tuning? AEM? Or Eurocharged/InMotion?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
What are you thinking about doing for tuning? AEM? Or Eurocharged/InMotion?
I will probably go with an AEM F/IC-8

Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work Lantana, why dont you talk to Eurocharged and maybe get them to do the same thing as they did on the SRT drop it in where the manifolds are?

How do you think your internals will hold up with all the extra power? I guess it's the same principal as the N/A 6 cyl and the SRT/AMG with the normal V8 mercedes engines and the AMG V8 engines the internals have to be different.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 AM

for starters, a 38mm wastegate wont be big enough to divert large maounts of exhaust, you'll get boost spikes/creep like crazy

the smallest I would go with would be a 44mm or larger.

also, dont put the turbo where the muffler went, too much piping length added.

Look under the left side of your car in front of the rear wheel... notice that nice little box shaped area?
thats the perfect place for the turbo

also, the only difference internally are the pistons, they use the same connecting rods, head bolts, etc. even the same headgaskets.
they just have lower compression pistons.

you are also going to have to use oval aluminium piping for the charge pipe, as theres 0 ground clearance.
burns stainless should have some, i'd order it in one continuous length to run under the car, so you dont have to deal with multiple silicone connectors that could be prone to pop.

I also have an exra tilton scavnege pump sitting here (since you will need one)

Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 AM

Infinite, Thanks for the good information. I may take you up on that pump.

Kolevski, Putting the turbo in the valley of my engine is not anything I am considering, I am also not concerned with the internals as adding forced induction to these V8's has been done many times with kits from HPS, Kleeman and other DIY turbos. I ran into a fellow gear head yesterday that twin turbo'd his E500. I would much rather have these internals than what most people are adding turbo's to.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 12-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 AM

stock internals are perfectly fine
Its all in the tuning.

Theres a guy you migt want to talk to that has successfully installed an aem fic-8 on a clk430 turbo he built.
I've been meaning to contact him because im curious as to the following. which tps wire you tap,
and how the aem controls the coilpacks for dual plug per cylinder, since iirc the ignition sequence is staggered at high rpms which means each coil is getting two seperate signals (or maybe its built into the coil, im not sure)

I'm going to rebuild the pump as well and i will give you a hell of a deal on it should you need it just trying to help out) i got it as a spare but doubt i'll need it.

the m112 based motors are surprisingly strong. although the pistons are cast and iron coated (not forged, like we thought)

I'm trying to see what it would take to get a set or arp headstuds made for these motors (since the 112 and 113 share the same bolt design) because from what i can see now, the weaknesses of these motors are (for fi use) the stock head bolts and the headgaskets, since if we could have a thicker headgasket made we could drop compression.

i'm also stumped as to the fuel pump to run. im looking for the pierburg "800" but everything i've found says its the standard pump mercedes uses in all its cars?!?
and im looking for an e55 amg maf (but i think the v8 motors all use the same maf)

AND (sorry) i'd be curious to see if you can get a higher stall torque converter.

sorry for the rambling, but the more info we can get upfront the better off we are.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Infinite
AND (sorry) i'd be curious to see if you can get a higher stall torque converter.
I'd say check with ImportLabSRT, I believe he installed a HSTC on his Turbo SRT. He can probably direct you as to where he got it and how much it will run you, either of you.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Go for it Lantana, you are an achiever!

Infinite, are you after a rear mounted turbo on a stock m112 or are you planning on moving on with a v8 (m113 or something else). I maybe confused, but i remember u mentioned something about pursuing turbo on a stock n/a.....hope stick.

Salu2

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM

@ 0.5 bar ~ 483hp
@ 1 bar ~ 634hp
@ 1.5 bar ~ 785hp

You'll need to drastically lower the compression ratio for 1/1.5 bar however. Still, gotta keep yourself occupied somehow, right?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I'd say check with ImportLabSRT, I believe he installed a HSTC on his Turbo SRT. He can probably direct you as to where he got it and how much it will run you, either of you.
Because our transmissions are being used with the Chrysler Hemi cars, there is some neat developement going on. There are two leading companies but I can only remember Southern Hot Rod right now. The Chrysler guys refer to this trans as either the the 722.6 or the NAG1. You can get pretty much anything you want.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite
Theres a guy you migt want to talk to that has successfully installed an aem fic-8 on a clk430 turbo he built.
I've been meaning to contact him because im curious as to the following. which tps wire you tap,
and how the aem controls the coilpacks for dual plug per cylinder, since iirc the ignition sequence is staggered at high rpms which means each coil is getting two seperate signals (or maybe its built into the coil, im not sure)
The FIC modifies the cam and crank signals and that is how it changes timing. Unlike the injectors where you intercept each one, the ignition wires are left untouched. As for TPS, you just tap into TPS signal 1 as it has the larger of the two voltage ranges between the two signals and has a higher resolution than TPS signal 2.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
The FIC modifies the cam and crank signals and that is how it changes timing. Unlike the injectors where you intercept each one, the ignition wires are left untouched. As for TPS, you just tap into TPS signal 1 as it has the larger of the two voltage ranges between the two signals and has a higher resolution than TPS signal 2.
Lantana, i would REALLY recommend working with Rudy on his FIC ideas.

BTW, i dont know your economic situation but do you think maybe you should save the money on the cams and just put it toward the turbo fund? I think thats gonna be quite an investment in itself...

Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM

I actually have an AEM F/IC sitting at home that was meant for my little Crossfire

Work trumps over all, unfortunately. Still, the more time that passes, the more money there is for 8.0:1 hypereutectic pistons and Pauter Rods

I wouldn't recommend low/no silicon pistons for osprey-process cylinders. The coefficient of thermal expansion differs way too much.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I actually have an AEM F/IC sitting at home that was meant for my little Crossfire

Work trumps over all, unfortunately. Still, the more time that passes, the more money there is for 8.0:1 hypereutectic pistons and Pauter Rods

I wouldn't recommend low/no silicon pistons for osprey-process cylinders. The coefficient of thermal expansion differs way too much.
fic-6 OR 8?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
fic-6 OR 8?
Hey rudy, it's a 30-1910 fic-6 without the MAG pickup. I hooked it up to the PC with the test harness to test the MAP sensor and try tweaking the fuel/air maps, but I haven't had time to actually connect it to the car.

Quick Reply: V8 Turbo Diary