Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

air intake kit

Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake kit

Just got the Crossfire and just created a profile, so this question may have been addressed already. I'm looked into getting a K&N air intake kit for the crossfire, but they don't make it yet. Then I read this: "Fitted with Chrysler Groupfs own design of air-intake and exhaust systems - to best fit the available space as well as give the car its own unique intake/exhaust soundtrack."
--Does this mean that there's already Chrysler's version or an air-intake kit in there?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Not really "chrysler's version" but Mercedes's version. Remember, the motor is based off of the SLK320. It uses the same air box / top motor configuration as the slk. It draws air from the front nose of the car, into two filters which then join at the rear top of the motor for the intake manifold to get its air =)

Ultimately I think someone could make some kind of adapter with a cold air intake pipe from the intake manifold inlet, but you would loose the top engine cover. It would look like crap.

Maybe just replacing the two plastic pipes that run from the front of the nose of the car to the engine / air filter cover would assist in getting rid of heat faster, but that plastic is pretty thin. I'm not sure it hangs on to it, and metal might just retain the heat longer.

my2c

Old 05-25-2004, 02:45 PM

I'm usually a fan of air intake systems. Have it on my PT and all my past trucks...Cuz they look cool...But by the time you spend what I would estimate to be $250-$300 for this air intake system, you are 62% -75% towards the upsolute chip change. It seems the chip would give you much better low end power, change shift points (if autostick) and since you already use premium fuel, there isn't any additional running cost for chipping. The air intake system won't provide any benefit unless the engine is sucking lots of air (high revs) or needs cold air (high speed). It may look cool...but I think we are just psyching ourselves into thinking it really does alot. On a dyno it may make hp, but you gotta see if you are in that rpm range all the time. Probably not. With the chip, every time you go from a standing start, you WILL benefit from the money spent.

BTW, I don't have a chip, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by landho
BTW, I don't have a chip, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
Despite that being of only "average humour" on my wife's humour rating scale, I still laughed for fifteen f***ing minutes on this one. landho, you made my day.

Guys (and our very hot gals), in case you're interested, I'm 95% of the way toward convincing my wife to let me get the Renntech performance packages 1 & 2...I'm debating whether I should hold my ground or just go all the way and see if I can get her to sign off on package three!!!! My kid doesn't REALLY need college, right? :twisted:

Old 05-26-2004, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by XethW
...I'm debating whether I should hold my ground or just go all the way and see if I can get her to sign off on package three!!!! My kid doesn't REALLY need college, right?
Glad you are laughing...sometimes the threads here and at other forums are TOO serious.

Remember the art of negotiation. Aim VERY HIGH or you'll never get what you want. Ask her to go all the way (on the Renntech upgrade) and then you can "settle" for mod 1 & 2, of course you may have to get her some new diamonds :wink: I just hope there is an opportunity for you to use all that HP.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:24 PM

My kid doesn't REALLY need college, right? twisted:
Your an evil.. evilllll...eeeevvvviiiiillllll.... person ...

F$%# YES YOU NEED THE 3rd PACKAGE!!!! I wanta see the stats on it once you do get it screw your kids education!!!! lol

Old 05-26-2004, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Your an evil.. evilllll...eeeevvvviiiiillllll.... person ...
F$%# YES YOU NEED THE 3rd PACKAGE!!!! I wanta see the stats on it once you do get it screw your kids education!!!! lol
I guarantee that if I can swing this, I will make an AZ meet soon to show off! At this point, she's about 95% on package Two, 50% on package three. Next tactic - "settling" fotr package two and buying her a li'll sumpin' sumpin' in appreciation...

Old 05-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are you going to spend?$$$$total

Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 PM

I guarantee that if I can swing this, I will make an AZ meet soon to show off! ...
8) What about the Sin City Hook-Up on September 11th?? :roll:

Old 05-27-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
I guarantee that if I can swing this, I will make an AZ meet soon to show off! ...
I don't think we're going to be able to pull this off after all, at least not for a few months. We're moving up to Phoenix this summer, and my wife wants the cash in reserve for unknowns and emergencies. Maybe after the summer I'll try again. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be content with my gorgeous, fast, lovely, unique, beautiful Christine Crossfire.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:41 PM

I don't think we're going to be able to pull this off after all, at least not for a few months. We're moving up to Phoenix this summer, and my wife wants the cash in reserve for unknowns and emergencies. Maybe after the summer I'll try again. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be content with my gorgeous, fast, lovely, unique, beautiful Christine Crossfire.
:roll: I didn't really mean you should come up here in September just to show off what you bought - I just meant to join us. The way I see it, September is a few months away - and after Summer. Sure you can't make the hook-Up :?: We aren't that far away from you!

Old 05-27-2004, 06:32 PM

Xeth: Welcome to Phoenix when you get here. I think we'll have enough forum Crossfires here then to have our own mini-rally.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:52 PM

:roll: I didn't really mean you should come up here in September just to show off what you bought - I just meant to join us. The way I see it, September is a few months away - and after Summer. Sure you can't make the hook-Up :?: We aren't that far away from you!
I may make the sin city meet, depending on whether or not my car is in Florida getting Renntech'd at the time

Old 05-27-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LQDSLVR
Xeth: Welcome to Phoenix when you get here. I think we'll have enough forum Crossfires here then to have our own mini-rally.
I will make EVERY possible Phoenix rally

Old 06-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

you might as weel ask renntech just how far they can go, becuase I am pretty sure package 3 is not anywhere near the top of what they can make it do... :twisted:

-marc