Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery light still coming on after replacing it.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light still coming on after replacing it.

A few weeks ago, I had my 05 in for an oil change, they found that the valve cover gasket was leaking and I had them replace it. They also "serviced" the battery.

So yesterday the battery light came on, then after a bit the radio and all lighting on the dash turned off and then she died. So I had someone bring me a new battery so I could get her home. But the battery light is still coming on.

My Son in Law said that he had a problem on his Cougar where oil leaked onto the Alternator and it ruined the alternator. Could that have happened on the Crossfire? I'm not sure where it is located in our car. Or what else it might be. I'm a little nervous about going into the dealership with this....

Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Battery light still coming on after replacing it.

Typically when the Valve Cover(s) is leaking, it is noticeable, but not in an excessive amount to soak/wet the Alternator.

Also, the Covers are on the side of the engine, and the Alternator is located in the front, part of the Belt system sitting right behind the Radiator Fan assembly.

I would go to an Autozone or Advanced, they will check that the Alternator is outputting the correct Voltage to keep the Battery fully charged.

Get this checked, cause if it's not charging the Battery correctly, you'll not only be stuck for the Alternator repair, but you might kill beyond charge, the new battery you just replaced...

Also, when you put the new battery in, make sure both the posts and wire connectors are clean, very clean, and tightened.

A loose or dirty battery terminal will manifest itself as a lights out situation that you witnessed...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 08-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you! I'll check that!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Forum Regular

Yep. Turns out its the alternator.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Char
Yep. Turns out its the alternator.
Char,
Interesting you houldbe posting on this subject as I was just about to tell of my day with my 04 Coupe. As I was driving to work this AM, my battery light came on. Well, I do know enough about cars to know that the battery is primarily used to start the car and then the alternator takes over once started. Now I was only a couple of miles from work, so I prayed all the way there and made it. After work, I went out to my car and checked the battery (sort of new-less than 2 years old). Everything looked clean and good. So I chanced it and started it-it starte right up and I began driving it home. The battery light came on about a mile later. I called my son and met up with him a few more miles up the road. He checked my battery and there was a charge of 12.53 with motor off and 12.1 with motor on. So that told my son, it was most likely my alternator. I was able to get my car home (more prayer) and now I have an alternator and serpentine belt I need to figure out how to put on tomorrow since I won't be able to drive the car again until it's replaced. So anyone have a good link for me to view of how to replace my alternator?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarina
Char,
Interesting you houldbe posting on this subject as I was just about to tell of my day with my 04 Coupe. As I was driving to work this AM, my battery light came on. Well, I do know enough about cars to know that the battery is primarily used to start the car and then the alternator takes over once started. Now I was only a couple of miles from work, so I prayed all the way there and made it. After work, I went out to my car and checked the battery (sort of new-less than 2 years old). Everything looked clean and good. So I chanced it and started it-it starte right up and I began driving it home. The battery light came on about a mile later. I called my son and met up with him a few more miles up the road. He checked my battery and there was a charge of 12.53 with motor off and 12.1 with motor on. So that told my son, it was most likely my alternator. I was able to get my car home (more prayer) and now I have an alternator and serpentine belt I need to figure out how to put on tomorrow since I won't be able to drive the car again until it's replaced. So anyone have a good link for me to view of how to replace my alternator?
There is this brief description.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust/46872-alternator-repair.html#post611732

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/45272-please-help-me-remove-alternator-generator-im-such-novice.html#post526391

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Awesome, thanks so much! It is great to have such a wonderful group to count on for help.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sarina
Awesome, thanks so much! It is great to have such a wonderful group to count on for help.
It really is!
And I understand about the praying. When the light first came on I was in the middle of rush hour traffic, in construction with no good shoulders or pull over place. I was praying to at least get her home, as she has never been left outside much less on the side of the road. But my prayers did at least get me to the safest place to pull over and a short walk to a truck stop to get out of the 112 heat.