Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SLK (White) instrument cluster

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SLK (White) instrument cluster

I found this on FleaBay:

Crossfire White Faced VDO Instrument Cluster | eBay

I know it would have to be re-miled at the dealer, but for $100, it looks good. Too much on my plate, though...

He mentions Rudy at Eurocharged-who are these guys?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: SLK (White) instrument cluster

That's the OEM cluster from my last white coupe, with the white faces from a SLK320.

The '32 AMG goes up to 180mph, has a slightly different font, and has a platinum/silvery background.

These in the link are the 160mph gauges like all standard Crossfires have. Background is a cream color, and I ran them briefly before getting the bugs worked out on the AMG gauges I was running in the car. Weeks later, I crashed it.

These gauges were not in the car at the time of the wreck... so all is well with these guys.

Rudy is at Speedriven, not Eurocharged. He was the mastermind that got the AMG gauges to work with my Limited VIN... Re-coding the VIN is a piece-o-cake, re-coding the mileage may not be. As the seller stated, the cluster had ~57K on it (sorry I can't remember exact amount).

The mileage on the cluster is what the Mercedes ECU syncs with. The mileage is stored in the computer, BUT it speaks to the cluster every 700 miles or so and "syncs" with each other... Basically, there will be no issues with odometer mishaps, and the cluster wears the pants regarding which mileage reading overrides the other.

Best advice is to wait until you are within ~1,000 miles to do the swap, to keep all things kosher. If you plan on keeping the car forever, you could install them at any time you wish... only you would know the mileage.

Rudy would likely charge some labor to reset the VIN, but once it's cleared you can plug it into your car and it should "re-flash" and be good to go.

As noted in the sale, the MPH/Tach circles and fuel/temp gauges will be amber, and this can't be changed as the plastic itself is amber. The LCD screens (mileage, temp, clock) are all the OEM green. They truly look great at night and are easier on the eyes than the green IMO...

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Seller is MrMoPar on the forums, a very trustworthy member.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

J., thanks for the info-I was trolling eBay late and ran across his estore.

I'm actually looking for a replacement shell for my key remote. Just the shell. I'll transplant the guts. Not much luck, but I did find a place in Hong Kong that sells 4 button MB Clone shells identical to ours except for having a trunk button. For $20 I'm going for it The PANIC button disintegrated years ago and it's looking quite tatty. I have a link to the rebuild instructions for our fob on the forum.

I'll probably buy the drivers' A-pillar from MrM too. I need a base to make my 2-gauge pod.

Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
J., thanks for the info-I was trolling eBay late and ran across his estore.

I'm actually looking for a replacement shell for my key remote. Just the shell. I'll transplant the guts. Not much luck, but I did find a place in Hong Kong that sells 4 button MB Clone shells identical to ours except for having a trunk button. For $20 I'm going for it The PANIC button disintegrated years ago and it's looking quite tatty. I have a link to the rebuild instructions for our fob on the forum.

I'll probably buy the drivers' A-pillar from MrM too. I need a base to make my 2-gauge pod.

Thanks again!
I always preferred the SLK fob, since it's a true black, not the medium gray that gets dingy...

And I have two fobs, one is in mint shape and the other one is nice, save for the panic button. It looks like a puppy got ahold of it