Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Intermittent Rough Idle ... and I Mean ROUGH! -- HELP!

Old 08-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a (TSB) for a misfire for the crossfire. Technical Service Bulletin, which involves a computer reflash by the dealer. Your best bet is to take it in with the engine performing the symptoms you've described. If its acting up, drive straight into the service department so they can verify the complaint. If you take the vehicle there & symptoms are not present, they will test drive and try to duplicate the problem but if the vehicle does not act up they have no choice but to give it back to you with an (NPF) test drive (No Problem Found). Chrysler's rules not the dealer. Intermittent symptoms are the biggest problem for dealers because you never know when the problem will re-occur.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:29 PM

You are not alone!! I just got back from vacation and found your post. Oh there are others having the same problem as you. I experienced this after my first oil change. And after 8 months of e-mails, calling Chrysler, taking my car in to two different dealers over and over again I finally had to get a attorney and i'm waiting for a replacement car. If there is a fix they don't know what it is. Check out my posts and the posts of Stranded. Trust me I feel for you your in for a ton of frustration.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intermittent Rough Idle ... and I Mean ROUGH! -- HELP!

Originally Posted by CFbabe
CFBabe asked me to draft this post since I'm the gear head B/F.

This has happened 3 times now ... the last two happened today while I was driving the car. The circumstances were similar all three times; those being:

a) It was hot weather -- 80+ deg F.
b) I had stopped and parked the car for 10 to 15 minutes after I had driven it quite a while, so the engine was fully hot.
c) After getting in the car, starting and driving for about 5 to 10 minutes the engine would idle so rough that I though it was going to die.
d) The engine would hardly respond to any gas pedal ... acted like it was going to fall on it's face. Once it started picking up RPMs, it would surge and hesitate until about 2000 rpms. Seemed to be running way too lean IMO -- usually surging is associated with leanness.
e) Never saw any "Check Engine" light come on.
f) Shutting down the engine and restarting did not seem to help. Thought maybe the computer went into "limp mode" for some reason.

Did a search on the board and only found one other instance of rough idle, but there was nothing said about the engine hesitating and surging off idle.

With extended driving after the car gets into this mode, it seems to slowly come back around, but still somewhat hesitant off idle when first moving off from a stop light for instance.

Anyway, it seems like it's hot weather induced, possibly something getting heat soaked under the hood since it only seems to do this after sitting for 15 to 20 minutes after shutdown. Strange thing is that it takes 5 to 10 minutes AFTER starting it up and driving before it goes in to rough running mode. Seems like if a sensor or if the fuel lines were heat soaked that it would run rough right after a heat soak period.

Anyone here experience this phenomena? I suppose the dealer should scan the computer to see if any trouble-codes were set by the ECU, but wanted to see if the board knew any info at this point.
I had rough idle problems on and off as well...and then my check engine light came on after a few weeks later...I took it to the dealer...he read the codes...no new codes...but there was an old code stored that pointed to a bad air injection pump. In the very front of the engine...there is an electric driven air injection pump...which injects air into the intake...sort of like a choke to lean out the mixture. You could feel air coming out of the pump where theirs a gasket...pump should not have any leaks...this was replaced and solved the check engine problem and the rough idle...but its only been a week since the replacement. I will give an update in a couple of weeks. Hope its fixed for good!

Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport
I had rough idle problems on and off as well...and then my check engine light came on after a few weeks later...I took it to the dealer...he read the codes...no new codes...but there was an old code stored that pointed to a bad air injection pump. In the very front of the engine...there is an electric driven air injection pump...which injects air into the intake...sort of like a choke to lean out the mixture. You could feel air coming out of the pump where theirs a gasket...pump should not have any leaks...this was replaced and solved the check engine problem and the rough idle...but its only been a week since the replacement. I will give an update in a couple of weeks. Hope its fixed for good!
Glad it solved your problem but just a correction on the air pump statement. The pump actually injects air into the exhaust manifold via the cylinder heads, not the intake. Its to help raise the temp of the cats during warm up.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woody
Glad it solved your problem but just a correction on the air pump statement. The pump actually injects air into the exhaust manifold via the cylinder heads, not the intake. Its to help raise the temp of the cats during warm up.
Thanks for the correction...I just repeated what the dealer told me...interesting...then this should not solve the rough engine idle problem...just the emissions problem for the check engine light right??

I guess I'll know soon...thanks.

I love my crossfire!!!

I love my dealer??? Not!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Speaking of rough idle, has anyone experienced this situation?

I've noticed, on occasion, not very often though, when at a red light I will sometimes experience a "rough idle" where the car feels like it is about to stall. This is very intermittent, not predictable. Any suggestions, hints, clues, ideas?

Last edited by Copernicus; 09-28-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 AM

Anyone have an idea?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 PM

I'm also having this problem with a used '04 coupe I bought back in April. I have it at the Chrysler dealership right now and they said, "no diagnostic codes, and the service tech can't replicate the issue." Frustrating. Did anyone ever get resolution on this?