Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Temp control problem

Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp control problem

Wondering if anyone else has the problem of (inconsistent) instances where the air turns extremely hot, as if the heat from the engine is coming thru. I've had the dealer's service department look at it 3-4 times, and they haven't fixed it. They said the diagnostics show the AC/temp controls are working fine.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Default Re: Temp control problem

I have the exact same issue. Out of the blue the vent to the right of the driver seat get extremely, almost burning hot. No other vent goes hot, just that one. Nothing seems to be wrong with the AC and how it works according to one mechanic. The dealer told me that there is nothing wrong either, but it could be some "flap" inside that sticks and lets in the heat from the engine/motor. (Sorry, I know zero about cars and the proper terminology.) At the dealer's it would cost over $2K to have it fixed. So for now I just either shut it off and lower the windows or go topless (the car, not me). Sometimes moving the temp dials around works, but not always.

I would love to hear about a fix for this.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 544 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by MariposaRose
I have the exact same issue. Out of the blue the vent to the right of the driver seat get extremely, almost burning hot. No other vent goes hot, just that one. Nothing seems to be wrong with the AC and how it works according to one mechanic. The dealer told me that there is nothing wrong either, but it could be some "flap" inside that sticks and lets in the heat from the engine/motor. (Sorry, I know zero about cars and the proper terminology.) At the dealer's it would cost over $2K to have it fixed. So for now I just either shut it off and lower the windows or go topless (the car, not me). Sometimes moving the temp dials around works, but not always.

I would love to hear about a fix for this.
I am guessing that the valve that lets the water through to the heater core gets stuck at times. This valve opens and closes and the frequency depends on what temperature the setting is at. There is one valve each for the driver and passenger side, so that may be the cause.
Why just one vent is a question though.
The valves I am talking about are twin silver covered valves with rubber hoses to them beside the battery and module box.
The problem valve would be hot when the problem is occurring, so put your hand on it and see which valve it is. It should be the one closest to the driver side of the car.

Graphite Ghost knows more about the heater valves but he has been absent here lately.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am guessing that the valve that lets the water through to the heater core gets stuck at times. This valve opens and closes and the frequency depends on what temperature the setting is at. There is one valve each for the driver and passenger side, so that may be the cause.
Why just one vent is a question though.
The valves I am talking about are twin silver covered valves with rubber hoses to them beside the battery and module box.
The problem valve would be hot when the problem is occurring, so put your hand on it and see which valve it is. It should be the one closest to the driver side of the car.

Graphite Ghost knows more about the heater valves but he has been absent here lately.
Oh, I will have my husband try that, thank you!!! The little vent on the left of the driver side gets warm, but not burning hot like the right one. Maybe more air is going to that vent.

Is this valve something that can be changed or fixed at home? With the Summer upon us and the rain here in FL, lowering the windows is not always an option. I would love to get this fixed without the horrible expense.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Finally fixed my issue of only blowing hot air. Whether the temp controls were on blue or red it would only blow hot and no AC. What I did was take the aluminum caps off the coolant circulation valves which are located directly behind the overflow tank, careful not to drop any of the 5 screws. After lifting the caps off I lifted the yellow wrapped magnets off of the valves, which is one piece and then cleaned the base that the magnets sit on. I pulled the valves out careful not to lose the springs sprayed them with a lubricant and reinstalled. Put everything back together and now I have AC and control of my cabin temps. Easy to do yourself.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by martyfa
Finally fixed my issue of only blowing hot air. Whether the temp controls were on blue or red it would only blow hot and no AC. What I did was take the aluminum caps off the coolant circulation valves which are located directly behind the overflow tank, careful not to drop any of the 5 screws. After lifting the caps off I lifted the yellow wrapped magnets off of the valves, which is one piece and then cleaned the base that the magnets sit on. I pulled the valves out careful not to lose the springs sprayed them with a lubricant and reinstalled. Put everything back together and now I have AC and control of my cabin temps. Easy to do yourself.

My husband now has a weekend project. I will have him try this and see if it works for mine, as well.

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Forum Regular

I had the same issue recently. What corrected my problem was a hard flick of the interior control from blue to red, red to blue. Do it with authority!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by witchal
I had the same issue recently. What corrected my problem was a hard flick of the interior control from blue to red, red to blue. Do it with authority!
!!! I wll try that... with authority. My husband got sent out of town for work so he wasn't able to work on it. I'll give this a shot. Thanks!!!