Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

That darn BAS ESP light

Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question That darn BAS ESP light

For the past few years my BAS ESP light has come on intermittently when starting the engine. Turning the car off and on again usually makes the light go away, but I'm getting tired of applying this "fix". The only thing that doesn't seem to work when the light comes on is cruise control. The spoiler, brake lights, traction control all seem to function properly with the BAS ESP light on.

I've noticed that it comes on much more frequently when the car is sitting outside on a warm day, but the light will also come on while I'm driving. This led me to believe that it could be something with a solder joint having issues with the heat, ala the relay control module fix?

This weekend I replaced the little brake switch that attaches to the brake pedal (holy smokes what a pain in the butt) but that didn't resolve the issue. The issue has also persisted across battery replacements, so I don't think a new battery will fix the problem, either.

I'm sort of at wits end with this problem and don't really know what else to check. Any suggestions? I assume that once the light comes on while the engine is on that it won't go off on its own until the car is restarted.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: That darn BAS ESP light

Might want to check the wheel speed sensors... If one goes bad, the car can't confirm the speed, thus no CC and you should also be seeing the wing pop up, even at speeds <63mph... the spoiler will work, it will simply remain deployed.

A bad speed sensor will also trip the BAS/ESP light.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM

When the light comes on the spoiler stays down unless I reach the activation speed.. Does that still sound like a speed sensor?

Edit: I should also mention that the light does not go away when turning the wheel all the way left, all the way right, then back to center.

Last edited by crookedview; 05-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crookedview
When the light comes on the spoiler stays down unless I reach the activation speed.. Does that still sound like a speed sensor?

Edit: I should also mention that the light does not go away when turning the wheel all the way left, all the way right, then back to center.
Hmmm... No, if the WSS wasn't working, the spoiler would default to an "up" position as a safety precaution. The fact that the spoiler is still deploying at the set speed, lets me know the WSS is functional.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crookedview
For the past few years my BAS ESP light has come on intermittently when starting the engine. Turning the car off and on again usually makes the light go away, but I'm getting tired of applying this "fix". The only thing that doesn't seem to work when the light comes on is cruise control. The spoiler, brake lights, traction control all seem to function properly with the BAS ESP light on.

I've noticed that it comes on much more frequently when the car is sitting outside on a warm day, but the light will also come on while I'm driving. This led me to believe that it could be something with a solder joint having issues with the heat, ala the relay control module fix?

This weekend I replaced the little brake switch that attaches to the brake pedal (holy smokes what a pain in the butt) but that didn't resolve the issue. The issue has also persisted across battery replacements, so I don't think a new battery will fix the problem, either.

I'm sort of at wits end with this problem and don't really know what else to check. Any suggestions? I assume that once the light comes on while the engine is on that it won't go off on its own until the car is restarted.

Have you tried synchronizing the ESP?
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
2, Rotate the steering wheel to the center position.
3. Rotate the steering wheel completely to the left, and then rotate the steering wheel completely to the right.
4. Bring the steering wheel back to the center position.
5. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator light will go out.
If it doesn't then the vehicle needs to be serviced.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
Have you tried synchronizing the ESP?
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
2, Rotate the steering wheel to the center position.
3. Rotate the steering wheel completely to the left, and then rotate the steering wheel completely to the right.
4. Bring the steering wheel back to the center position.
5. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator light will go out.
If it doesn't then the vehicle needs to be serviced.
Tried that, doesn't eliminate the light.

I have no desire to go to my local Chrysler dealer, and I'm assuming a DRBIII scan tool is the only thing that'll figure this issue out.