Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Misfire codes only when wet

Old 05-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire codes only when wet

Car sputters and throws codes. I've looked all over the forum and the web...I only get the cylinder misfire codes when I wash the car, go thru a carwash or drive in the rain. Tried spraying a mist of water on the engine in the dark looking for a spark...no luck...its random cylinders...will sometime go away on restart. But once it dries the car is fine.
The car runs great other that this issue.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Misfire codes only when wet

I'd recommend some new plug wires along with dilectric grease on both the spark plug ends and the coil ends.
Spray some electronic cleaner in all the coil connectors and let it dry before connecting the plug wires.
Time for some Magnecors ?

Hint : the very easiest way to change coil wires is to remove the valve covers. Seems stupid, yes, but you will be amazed how easy it is to get to the plugs and wires with them removed. You can unplug all the coil end wires and leave the coils on the valve covers.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Misfire codes only when wet

Had this one time, codes 300 and 30X's popping up after steam cleaning engine... was water in plug boot/s.
Figured it out after trying trouble shooting the coils, swapping in a new one I had, electric contact cleaner on connections, etc.

The plug boots had dielectric grease in them but still got wet enough to cause misfire.

I now blow dry motor after washing getting around plug boots and coil pack connections with compressed air.
Helps to use good quality plug wires!
... and if I recall it was both boots on cylinder 1 had moisture fwiw.

(pulled them off blew out with air and regreased to the max and made sure they were seated in all the way,,, maybe not clicked fully on the plug and boot wasn't maxed out so they got moisture in? IDK)

Then no codes, no stumble, ran great.
Cheapest fix there is....AIR