Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Engine lost power

Old 09-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine lost power

Driving on a two lane road, I went to pass a car. Down shifted to fourth and floored it. While passing the crossfire losses power and has a bad vibration from the engine when the accelerator is pressed, it kind of felt like one side of the engine wasn't firing. I pulled off the road and when it got to idle speed it shut off. I checked the engine to see if there were any obvious breaks and/or loose connections. I didnt see anything and went to restart it. It fired back up normally and i was able to drive it just fine afterwards. Kind of thinking coil packs have a bad connection or they are going bad themselves. Any thoughts?
Codes pulled after : p0128, p0410, p0406, p0174, p0171.
Also i changed gears and the vibration happened in 2nd and 3rd gears so it is unlikely it is clutch or transmission related.

Last edited by droopaloop; 09-16-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Default Re: Engine lost power

Sam problem bump

Old 09-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by droopaloop
Driving on a two lane road, I went to pass a car. Down shifted to fourth and floored it. While passing the crossfire losses power and has a bad vibration from the engine when the accelerator is pressed, it kind of felt like one side of the engine wasn't firing. I pulled off the road and when it got to idle speed it shut off. I checked the engine to see if there were any obvious breaks and/or loose connections. I didnt see anything and went to restart it. It fired back up normally and i was able to drive it just fine afterwards. Kind of thinking coil packs have a bad connection or they are going bad themselves. Any thoughts?
Codes pulled after : p0128, p0410, p0406, p0174, p0171.
Also i changed gears and the vibration happened in 2nd and 3rd gears so it is unlikely it is clutch or transmission related.
Do a google on those codes, enter each one, one at a time, into google like this:

"Mercedes P0128" and it will draw you a picture of what the ECM sees. Ignore P0410 for now, that's the stupid air pump, it very likely has nothing to do with your complaint. Indications are of a too lean burn, misfire on cylinder 6, and the engine is operating below normal temperature. If you got on it with the engine cold, ignore P0128.

I'd suspect MAF, Throttle body, MAYBE plugs (if you are over 80,000 miles, change the plugs and plug wires, made tremendous difference in my Graphite and I had the last three codes plus 400, 401, 403, etc.).

Old 09-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Received 205 Likes on 170 Posts

BMO,, just corrected this exact problem with a new set of plugs and wire. BE CERTAIN YOU ARE USING THE CORRECT PLUGS FOR YOUR CAR! This is no place to go cheap. BMO had his plugs and wire replaced by a garage and with only 20,000 mi he had this exact problem; loss of power and throwing misfire codes. Get the correct plugs, gape them at .040 There is a tool available that makes removing the plug wires a lot easier. I think I bought mine at ebay ; JTC auto tools 1308 or search for Mercedes spark plug boot puller.

NOT saying this IS your problem, but it corrected the same problem on others cars.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:32 AM

Doing 110 km/h and engin lossless all power and no trottel response doing the quick maneuvering to the side of the rode and engine kinda stalls whole dash lights-up.
Turn ignition off and putting in park, re starts and the hole car is sakes very bad, sounds bad only working 2 or 4 cyl.
Panicking tutn off and restarting sam result and no trotted response.
Putting in gear and car barley moves forward trying to go fore the highway exit 500 meter when 100 meters left all cylinder wakupp and no sign of problem.
No engine light nada.
What could be the problem.
Haven’t checked OBD yet.

So far i have got tips it might be:
CPS = changed a 2 year ago non Borch Likley
Bad fule= probobly not 1/2 full tank
Fule pump = expensive not so likley
Throttle Position Sensor
RCM = K40

Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently bought another Crossfire. My son drove it home and he told me he had similar problems trying to keep up with me on the highway. Testing it myself at home, I found when I would aggressively accelerate and hit 3,000 RPM the engine would actually stop running. I put one of my scanners on the car and it was showing a number of strange codes which I was suspect of. The seller mentioned changing the Crank Position Sensor. I decided to install another one. I found the seller had not installed a Bosch CPS. I installed the Bosch sensor and it fixed the problem.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:51 PM

i hawe orderd a new one

Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 PM

I have not had an opportunity to try and replicate the issue but i will try to and also do the fixes and report back.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:21 PM

The issue happened again today. This time the engine still had issues after restarting it. After popping off the engine cover and taking a look one of the coil pack plugs from the wiring harness had come loose. I snugged it up and put a zip tie to hold it in place and that has seemed to fix the problem.