Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Trunk stoppers causing damage

Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Trunk stoppers causing damage

Hey guys!

Never really realized this but the rubber trunk stoppers are leaving deep marks on the frame of the body around the trunk. I already have a little rust there probably caused by the nice and salty Florida air. Any suggestions? How do I get the rust off? Figured take the rust off, touch the area up with matching paint and then maybe put something there to protect it. But what? If I just put tape there it would probably look pretty silly.
Do you guys have these issues? Thanks for your help!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Trunk stoppers causing damage

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hey guys!

Never really realized this but the rubber trunk stoppers are leaving deep marks on the frame of the body around the trunk. I already have a little rust there probably caused by the nice and salty Florida air. Any suggestions? How do I get the rust off? Figured take the rust off, touch the area up with matching paint and then maybe put something there to protect it. But what? If I just put tape there it would probably look pretty silly.
I used a small strip of black velcro on each side.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bill F
I used a small strip of black velcro on each side.
That's a real good idea. I was thinking about doing something like that. Will prolly go out and purchase some tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! To be honest, as much as I love this car and German engineering, these OEM rubber pieces should not cause for this to happen!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have access to the Clear Bra material. You kinda gave me an idea to make a kit with squares that can be utilized round the car where pieces come in contact with others to cut the squeaking sounds and rubbing of paint. For example I have round pieces in the cups of the door handles, that keeps it from being scratched up when you grab the handle to open the door. I will let you know how it works on any other parts.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 PM

That would be awesome. I'd also be interested in the piece you attached to the area below the door handle. Is it too obvious it's there or is it hardly noticeable?

Thanks for your help

Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Re: Trunk stoppers causing damage

I've been using the "clear bra type vinyl" tape strips on my car for over 9 years now and there is no damage at all from the rubber hatch bumpers.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has the same damage, I put electrical tape over the damage and that seems to take the beating from the metal. I replace the tape strips once every month or so.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hey guys!

You need to adjust the rubber bumpers, they should not be doing damage. Loosen the bolts, then adjust the bumper so that the hatch closes securely but doesn't hit the body. There is a range of adjustment, if done correctly it should just leave a slight mark where it seats but no dents or damage. Hint, both sides should be just about the same.