Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Car Turns on, Turns Over but Won't Start

Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Turns on, Turns Over but Won't Start

Hi all I just got my xfire about three months ago and I am in LOVE with it. It has never given me problems but last night it had problems starting, but eventually stayed on. Then later on in a parking lot it would turn over and sputter but not turn on. Someone mentioned that a tail light is out and I do know that the car had LED strips on the headlights and they rewired the back license plate lights for that I believe so is it possible that one light being out could cause this?

I am desperate for a fix, last time I went to the stealership they quoted me $5,000 for new o2 sensors and cats. (I do believe the o2 sensors are out however I have driven with them like this for some time.) The exhaust and cats do not have a leak certified by a secondhand opinion at an exhaust shop so the dealer must have figured "we'll start with the most expensive solution first".

I'm a noob. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eatmycrackers
Hi all I just got my xfire about three months ago and I am in LOVE with it. It has never given me problems but last night it had problems starting, but eventually stayed on. Then later on in a parking lot it would turn over and sputter but not turn on. Someone mentioned that a tail light is out and I do know that the car had LED strips on the headlights and they rewired the back license plate lights for that I believe so is it possible that one light being out could cause this?

I am desperate for a fix, last time I went to the stealership they quoted me $5,000 for new o2 sensors and cats. (I do believe the o2 sensors are out however I have driven$5,000 for with them like this for some time.) The exhaust and cats do not have a leak certified by a secondhand opinion at an exhaust shop so the dealer must have figured "we'll start with the most expensive solution first".

I'm a noob. Thanks for the help.
Grats on your purchase.
sucks when a problem comes up.
$5,000 for cats and o2's is rediculous.
They are defiantly parts replacer not mechanics.
You should ask some of the more experienced members about the rcm or crank position sensor.
How many miles/year??

Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Default Re: Car Turns on, Turns Over but Won't Start

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Grats on your purchase.
sucks when a problem comes up.
$5,000 for cats and o2's is rediculous.
They are defiantly parts replacer not mechanics.
You should ask some of the more experienced members about the rcm or crank position sensor.
How many miles/year??
05, 94k miles
I'm in Dallas if there are any good home mechanics in the area. I'll try to upload a video of the problem when I get home.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If the car cranks BUT will not start, that is usually a Crankshaft Position Sensor that has gone bad. An under $50 part that you can replace yourself. IF you turn the key and there is NO cranking, that is a Relay Control Module problem, and again this can be fixed usually with a little soldering. There are "how to's" on these repairs.....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 11-02-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
If the car cranks BUT will not start, that is usually a Crankshaft Position Sensor that has gone bad. An under $50 part that you can replace yourself. IF you turn the key and there is NO cranking, that is a Relay Control Module problem, and again this can be fixed usually with a little soldering. There are "how to's" on these repairs.....
It seems to crank, all electronics work and all lights come on. Where should I buy the part? I've had problems in the past of buying a part that doesn't fit.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:17 PM

It seems to crank, all electronics work and all lights come on. Where should I buy the part? I've had problems in the past of buying a part that doesn't fit.
I am trying to hook you up a link, which I am not so good at.... If it doesn't open...save and open it.... I have got to learn how to do this....lol

Last edited by oledoc2u; 11-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Read through this thread about Relay Control Module (RCM) fix. You can pull the board out to see if the solder has ever been fixed. Along with replacing the CPS these are the 2 main anomalies that every Xfire will eventually need repaired.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM

All, after a frustrating night and calling AAA to tow, we figured we would try to jump the car. Beforehand the tower figured we should tighten the battery cables as they seemed loose and that was it! A loose connection, I felt so stupid but it is a relief.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

May been a coincidence.
Recommend that you buy a BOSCH crankshaft position sensor and be prepared to replace it. VERY good details on how to do it are on this Forum.

Welcome!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM

yes sir.... a loose cable will cause that ...... Put a spare bosch CPS in your glove box..... and sooner or later, fix the RCM or you will see these symptoms again....