Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

New car, new problems!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car, new problems!

First off I must say this is an excellent forum with some great help. keep it up

I have just bought an 05 convertible from a friend which drives really well. just a few electrical gremlins to deal with. I have searched and read through as much as possible so i just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I'm going down the right track.

A bit of history for you. Its done 60,000 and is running quite happily but i do know it was jump started previously with the wrong polarity's on the battery...

As far as I'm aware this understandably fried some stuff but most of it was replaced to the point where it would drive. I'm now left with

Cooling light on. I'm guessing this is the fan control module. Is it better to test or replace this? is there anything it is more likely to be?

Bas/esp light is on. I have tried the resetting thing and no difference. Light stays on, I am at a loss where to begin with this so any suggestions would be great.

no central locking from remote key. key in drivers door operates just that door. central locking button on dash works. no flashing lights or any noise when trying to use the remote key. tried to re-sync the key and no difference. only one key so cant try another.

I will try and clean all the contacts on the central locking pump in the boot this weekend and see if that makes any difference. no signs of any water in the boot but i will try anyway. Any other things to try/look for while I'm in there?

Other than these teething problems I'm a very happy chap!

Thanks in advance for the replies

Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Default Re: New car, new problems!

so i dismantled the the vacuum pump in the boot and it was all in good condition no sign of any water having ever been in there and the circuit board and all associated connections were free from any corrosion.

Are there any other tests i can do to try to figure out what is at the root of this?

What does rf reciver do with the info once the key is pressed? Im assuming it sends a message to the body control module? if so is there anyway to test if it is recieving the info? or sending a message to the door lock pump?

sorry for all the questions but i have driven landrovers for the last 10 yrs

Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM

one other thing to note is that when operating the lock with the key in the drivers door it only opens the driver door and not the passengers door or the boot lid.

should it unlock all 3?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I'll be back on tonight (eastern uSA time). Gotta get to work.

For now, your work is cut out for you, this will probably get expensive. You said yourself that they replaced what they had to so as to get it running. There is more work to do, likely the controller unit is gone. With all communications between modules on the CAN bus, you need the STAR system to read what's going on on that bus. Replacing modules until it works may be your only route to take.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyndond
one other thing to note is that when operating the lock with the key in the drivers door it only opens the driver door and not the passengers door or the boot lid.

should it unlock all 3?

Thanks in advance

Yes. The fact that the siren is not going off implies to me (right or wrongly) that the SKREEM is essentially OK.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I'll be back on tonight (eastern uSA time). Gotta get to work.

For now, your work is cut out for you, this will probably get expensive. You said yourself that they replaced what they had to so as to get it running. There is more work to do, likely the controller unit is gone. With all communications between modules on the CAN bus, you need the STAR system to read what's going on on that bus. Replacing modules until it works may be your only route to take.
Well that is kind of is what i was expecting. What is the proper part name for the control unit and do you know if its a merc part? I guess i will start there and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help, its much appreciated