Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Change wheel bearings too?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Change wheel bearings too?

i just brought home a 06 roadster with 71000 miles on it. It needs new tires and brakes. I thought I could save some cash by doing the brakes myself. Now I’m wondering if I should change the wheel bearings at the same time. I didn’t buy the car to be a “project” car. But I suppose it makes sense to do it now????
any thoughts? Is there anything special or different about wheel bearings on these cars?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Change wheel bearings too?

Originally Posted by just grumpy
i just brought home a 06 roadster with 71000 miles on it. It needs new tires and brakes. I thought I could save some cash by doing the brakes myself. Now I’m wondering if I should change the wheel bearings at the same time. I didn’t buy the car to be a “project” car. But I suppose it makes sense to do it now????
any thoughts? Is there anything special or different about wheel bearings on these cars?
front or rear or both ?
they making any noise or any play?
my rears are original and in good shape, and I have almost 165k miles on them and going to change before end of the summer, even if they are ok, mainly for preventative maintenance since I do alot of long drives, the front I did around 75k miles, but probably could have been re adjusted.

with car or corner supoorted in the air, I grab another jack and put on the lower control arm close to the tire but not touching, and load that corner, then see if there is any play trying to wiggle the tire.
if tight and no noise, let them go linger, unless you just want to change.