Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

DRB III Emulator?

Old 02-13-2023, 09:49 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: DRB III Emulator?

Thank you, got the Adobe file.
Is the https://www.obdii365.com/search/?q=M...7.04.27&DirID= the correct one, their chat has not been available when I check ? Comes with MicroPod 2 V17.04.27, disk, and cable but no hard disk (do not need FIAT). YWTK
ps is this important ? "Note: The package does not include the DRB3 emulator." My Brane hurts.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-13-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:24 AM
Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Thank you, got the Adobe file.
Is the https://www.obdii365.com/search/?q=M...7.04.27&DirID= the correct one, their chat has not been available when I check ? Comes with MicroPod 2 V17.04.27, disk, and cable but no hard disk (do not need FIAT). YWTK
ps is this important ? "Note: The package does not include the DRB3 emulator." My Brane hurts.

Save yourself the time, grief and misery. I have 2 different laptops for sale on marketplace
Both have been configured to run the emulator (both are same price, both have fresh installs of OS) Software loaded and laptop tested. All you need is to purchase the micropod from OBD 365

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:15 PM

Interesting, just ordered the V17.04.27 wiTech MicroPod 2 from ODBII365.com. Payment went to Xiamen RuiTianQin Network Technology CO. Claims to ship from US. We shall see.

ps have literally piles of laptops, tabs, and luggables dating back to 1983. Pretty sure I have one that will work.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-13-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nemiro
Actually, it was a good history lesson. Some of it is not 100%, but the broad strokes are right, and it gives insight into how we came to be able to get this inexpensive tool to use on our cars. Without this evolution, we would be out in the cold on certain aspects of our cars.
Thank you, @nemiro ! Please correct the parts which are not 100%. I have only deduced most of this history in pieces, and after the fact. Improving the history would be helpful.

Clint

Old 02-13-2023, 02:00 PM

Found this note on package I just ordered from obdII365.com:
"I need to read 2006 Chrysler Crossfire DTCs to determine which ECU's are having communications issues (eg codes 1041-00, 1039-00, etc. Can't afford a DRB 3. Will this work? Thanks!
Answer:
Note: The package does not include the DRB3 emulator"

Blog talks about a "hidden directory" but is a few years old. Did I order the rong thing ? YWTK.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-13-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:21 AM

Looks like it it going to be a while. Since mentioned here I ordered from OBDii365. Says shipped from China and will be here in April. Right.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:59 AM
Received 459 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
Thank you, @nemiro ! Please correct the parts which are not 100%. I have only deduced most of this history in pieces, and after the fact. Improving the history would be helpful.

Clint
The change over to VCI, STAR, and later Micropod began in 2003 with the introduction of the NGC1 PCM, moved further in 2005 as many of the MB based cars (think LX cars) moved to CAN, rather than the PCI (J1850) network the earlier cars had. By 2006, almost everything was on CAN, except Viper, Sprinter (diesel), a few BUX market minivans, and a couple of other oddballs in there, too, like Crossfire. VCI was the stopgap between DRBIII and and Micropod. It had the virtue of working well with the older cars, but still diagnosed the new ones fairly well. Over time, STAR came in, but while self-contained like DRBIII, it was expensive, and just not as popular as VCI. VCI was plagued with connector issues, and still lacked some compatibility, such as Sprinter and Crossfire. Micropod came along to solve this. I have owned all four tools at one point or another. My STAR and the DRBIII are both gone. I use the VCI for the NGC1, NGC3 cars, and some of the LX cars (up till around 2013). The Micropod works well on the rest. Fortunately for us, it is also the smallest of the tools, and easily portable.

However, Micropod is a compromise for the Crossfire, and there are functions that only the MB Star Diagnostic System (SDS) running with Xentry and DAS can do well. This makes sense, as this is the factory tool for the MBs. When I do work on Crossfires, I almost never reach for the Micropod, and pull up the SDS. Just like Micropod, there are a ton of Chinese offerings for the SDS C3 and C4 units. If you shop for those, get the C4. If you buy it turnkey, it is about $700-800. If you're good with PCs, there are cheaper options, keeping it all <$500. I picked up a really inexpensive Microsoft Surface 4 tablet PC on FB marketplace. I loaded Xentry/DAS onto it, and my son and I recently flew cross country to pick up a SRT6. The setup was in my backpack. (No TSA issues) Upon arrival, it had a the requisite CEL lit, and within 10 minutes with Xentry, I cleared a ton of codes throughout the car, the CEL turned off, and the car drove 10x better. We drove it nearly 1000 miles home. When the CEL came back on a few states later, a few minutes with Xentry targeted the problem, and we dealt with it. Great having the right tools! I do wish the C4 unit was smaller, like Micropod, but you can't have it all.

The benefit here is that you can now work on even late model MBs. The downside is that you will not be able to take care of every single issue with TPMS or a roadster top controller. The top controllers really don't give that much trouble. TPMS in Crossfires are a slowly dying thing, and fewer cars have it going all of the time. I stopped keeping up with the factory TPMS in my own cars, but I do know that others go through a lot to keep theirs going. The Micropod is the best tool for that, but even some of the aftermarket scan tools are starting to roll our very non-standard TPMS system in.

YMMV.

ZH SRT6 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

The change over to VCI, STAR, and later Micropod began in 2003 with the introduction of the NGC1 PCM, moved further in 2005 as many of the MB based cars (think LX cars) moved to CAN, rather than the PCI (J1850) network the earlier cars had. By 2006, almost everything was on CAN, except Viper, Sprinter (diesel), a few BUX market minivans, and a couple of other oddballs in there, too, like Crossfire. VCI was the stopgap between DRBIII and and Micropod. It had the virtue of working well with the older cars, but still diagnosed the new ones fairly well. Over time, STAR came in, but while self-contained like DRBIII, it was expensive, and just not as popular as VCI. VCI was plagued with connector issues, and still lacked some compatibility, such as Sprinter and Crossfire. Micropod came along to solve this. I have owned all four tools at one point or another. My STAR and the DRBIII are both gone. I use the VCI for the NGC1, NGC3 cars, and some of the LX cars (up till around 2013). The Micropod works well on the rest. Fortunately for us, it is also the smallest of the tools, and easily portable.

However, Micropod is a compromise for the Crossfire, and there are functions that only the MB Star Diagnostic System (SDS) running with Xentry and DAS can do well. This makes sense, as this is the factory tool for the MBs. When I do work on Crossfires, I almost never reach for the Micropod, and pull up the SDS. Just like Micropod, there are a ton of Chinese offerings for the SDS C3 and C4 units. If you shop for those, get the C4. If you buy it turnkey, it is about $700-800. If you're good with PCs, there are cheaper options, keeping it all <$500. I picked up a really inexpensive Microsoft Surface 4 tablet PC on FB marketplace. I loaded Xentry/DAS onto it, and my son and I recently flew cross country to pick up a SRT6. The setup was in my backpack. (No TSA issues) Upon arrival, it had a the requisite CEL lit, and within 10 minutes with Xentry, I cleared a ton of codes throughout the car, the CEL turned off, and the car drove 10x better. We drove it nearly 1000 miles home. When the CEL came back on a few states later, a few minutes with Xentry targeted the problem, and we dealt with it. Great having the right tools! I do wish the C4 unit was smaller, like Micropod, but you can't have it all.

The benefit here is that you can now work on even late model MBs. The downside is that you will not be able to take care of every single issue with TPMS or a roadster top controller. The top controllers really don't give that much trouble. TPMS in Crossfires are a slowly dying thing, and fewer cars have it going all of the time. I stopped keeping up with the factory TPMS in my own cars, but I do know that others go through a lot to keep theirs going. The Micropod is the best tool for that, but even some of the aftermarket scan tools are starting to roll our very non-standard TPMS system in.

YMMV.
What are the specific functions that only the SDS can do on the Crossfire?

Old 02-14-2023, 12:50 PM

There's too many to list, tbh. For the average DIY'er, the Micropod is just fine. If you are going down the avenue of big mods, engine swaps, or looking to do shop level work, then nothing is going to be better than the native tool, which, unfortunately for us Chrysler owners is the SDS. If we just want to reset the occasional fault code, then the Micropod is just fine. As soon as we get into anything requiring deep work on the SKREEM, or if we want to change nitty gritty options (called SCN coding in SDS), then you're into the SDS. Exactly as how the DRBIII was a round peg into a square hole for Crossfire and Sprinter, Micropod is only an incremental step better. Sure, it does not need the Multiplexer cable, but it is still running the same "Enhanced DRBIII" software as the original tool. It is a compromise. Does this mean Micropod is a bad tool? Not at all. It is the best option for at least 95% of Crossfire owners. However, If I did not own either SDS or Micropod, and I was starting from scratch, I'd go with the SDS, especially if I didn't own any other Chryslers that could benefit from the Micropod. OTOH, If I owned any other 1995-2018 Chryslers, then the Micropod would be my choice. Micropod is also less expensive than SDS.

ZH SRT6 (03-23-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ronman
What are the specific functions that only the SDS can do on the Crossfire?
I’m leaning in with Ronman on this one.

To many to list? How about the top 5, what would those be?

I have both tools and from my very early assessment, the emulator is far better suited to my daily needs and I’m sure 99% of the other members too. I know I’ll never dive into Screem. We now have go to’s established for that. As a diagnostic tool this will be more useful to most than the SDS
My 2 cents (with experience)

Old 02-15-2023, 07:53 PM
Received 566 Likes on 475 Posts

[QUOTE=Padgett;976403]Looks like it it going to be a while. Since mentioned here I ordered from OBDii365. Says shipped from China and will be here in April. Right.[/QUOTE
Probably, but what year?

Old 02-16-2023, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
I’m leaning in with Ronman on this one.

To many to list? How about the top 5, what would those be?

I have both tools and from my very early assessment, the emulator is far better suited to my daily needs and I’m sure 99% of the other members too. I know I’ll never dive into Screem. We now have go to’s established for that. As a diagnostic tool this will be more useful to most than the SDS
My 2 cents (with experience)
No disagreement on the suitability of the Micropod. The size and ease of portability alone are worth a lot. As I said earlier, for 95% of users and applications, it is the way to go. There are some Mercedes SDS functions that are nice to have. Much more in depth work on several of the modules, such as the instrument cluster, ESP, TCU and ECU. Where the SDS lacks on the Crossfire will be the TPMS, roadster top (some) and some BCM functions.

My point was that if you have not yet purchased, then the following should be considered:
Micropod pros:
- Cheap!
- Good portability
- Does most anything you need on your factory configured Crossfire (ie, no engine swaps)
- Works well on most other 1995-2018 Chrysler products
Micropod cons:
- Cantankerous at times, and some of the Chinese knock offs just never do work properly (I've owned several, and have had two go back to China)
- Software gives licensing fits at times
- Sometimes needs the HW mod described earlier in this thread
- Only works for domestic Chryslers, Sprinter vans and Crossfire

SDS Pros:
- Works well on Crossfire
- Commonality with MB nomenclature, tests and procedures
- Several nitty-gritty functions buried in DAS and HHTWin (low level diagnotics, SCN coding, teach in, etc)
- Ideally suited for Crossfires with engine/transmission swaps
- Works with all MB (and certain other conglomerate brands) from 1995-present (some models)

SDS Cons:
- Can be pricey

- Missing some Crossfire functions (TPMS, roadster top, some BCM)
- Only works with MB (and conglomerate) vehicles

The following 2 users liked this post by nemiro:
Brian P (02-16-2023), ZH SRT6 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 05:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YMMV.
Wow, Thank You @nemiro for a much more complete and accurate description of Crossfire diagnostic options and history than the summary I offered!

My personal experience is limited to Crossfire (and similar vintage Chrysler vehicles) so DRB III (and Emulator) are what I have used. But when I had my Crossfire at an independent German car service shop 10-ish years ago the tech checking it plugged in a system he commented required an obsolete Windows OS and pirated software which cost (again, a while back) over $10,000. Things have progressed. But that system pulled up MUCH more information from Crossfire computers than the DRB III system ever pretended to access. I saw a pages of records when, for example, the ABS/ESP had been activated. As you advised, Neil, the DRB III Emulator at the cost of an old Windows machine plus a Chinese cloned microPOD (and software hassles) sure looks like a helpful tool for many of us DIY Crossfire owners.

One point I wish for wisdom about: Is the instruction to install on a dedicated, never-again-connected to the Internet computer necessary? I understand that some Emulator software is obsolete, and Windows Security / Defender / Update will want to disable, update, or remove, for example, Adobe Air. But can such old software be walled off to let us install and use the DRB III Emulator on an otherwise connected and up-to-date Windows machine? My guess has been that the Emulator or wiTECH or something included a sort of "phone home" to Mopar or Tech Authority which would send back a poison pill disabling the software, or worse. Can anyone advise about installing this way?

Thanks more!

Old 02-17-2023, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
Wow, Thank You @nemiro for a much more complete and accurate description of Crossfire diagnostic options and history than the summary I offered!

My personal experience is limited to Crossfire (and similar vintage Chrysler vehicles) so DRB III (and Emulator) are what I have used. But when I had my Crossfire at an independent German car service shop 10-ish years ago the tech checking it plugged in a system he commented required an obsolete Windows OS and pirated software which cost (again, a while back) over $10,000. Things have progressed. But that system pulled up MUCH more information from Crossfire computers than the DRB III system ever pretended to access. I saw a pages of records when, for example, the ABS/ESP had been activated. As you advised, Neil, the DRB III Emulator at the cost of an old Windows machine plus a Chinese cloned microPOD (and software hassles) sure looks like a helpful tool for many of us DIY Crossfire owners.

One point I wish for wisdom about: Is the instruction to install on a dedicated, never-again-connected to the Internet computer necessary? I understand that some Emulator software is obsolete, and Windows Security / Defender / Update will want to disable, update, or remove, for example, Adobe Air. But can such old software be walled off to let us install and use the DRB III Emulator on an otherwise connected and up-to-date Windows machine? My guess has been that the Emulator or wiTECH or something included a sort of "phone home" to Mopar or Tech Authority which would send back a poison pill disabling the software, or worse. Can anyone advise about installing this way?

Thanks more!
save yourself hours and hours of time. I have 2 laptops posted in Marketplace.
already set up and ready to roll. Software loaded, tested annd running. All you’ll need is the micro pod.

I also have a micro pod available with the ground correction already completed

Old 02-17-2023, 07:27 PM

Well looks like I may get it a little sooner or not. Since the 14th it has been sitting with a "shipping partner" in Jamaca NY and USPS is waiting... (customs ?)

Old 02-26-2023, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No disagreement on the suitability of the Micropod. The size and ease of portability alone are worth a lot. As I said earlier, for 95% of users and applications, it is the way to go. There are some Mercedes SDS functions that are nice to have. Much more in depth work on several of the modules, such as the instrument cluster, ESP, TCU and ECU. Where the SDS lacks on the Crossfire will be the TPMS, roadster top (some) and some BCM functions.

My point was that if you have not yet purchased, then the following should be considered:
Micropod pros:
- Cheap!
- Good portability
- Does most anything you need on your factory configured Crossfire (ie, no engine swaps)
- Works well on most other 1995-2018 Chrysler products
Micropod cons:
- Cantankerous at times, and some of the Chinese knock offs just never do work properly (I've owned several, and have had two go back to China)
- Software gives licensing fits at times
- Sometimes needs the HW mod described earlier in this thread
- Only works for domestic Chryslers, Sprinter vans and Crossfire

SDS Pros:
- Works well on Crossfire
- Commonality with MB nomenclature, tests and procedures
- Several nitty-gritty functions buried in DAS and HHTWin (low level diagnotics, SCN coding, teach in, etc)
- Ideally suited for Crossfires with engine/transmission swaps
- Works with all MB (and certain other conglomerate brands) from 1995-present (some models)

SDS Cons:
- Can be pricey

- Missing some Crossfire functions (TPMS, roadster top, some BCM)
- Only works with MB (and conglomerate) vehicles
Thanks nemiro for all this details.
Regarding my probem, with DRB iii clone, could we :
* Change kind of gear box (manual / automatic)
* Do the adaptative after virgin ECU (step 2)?:
How to Renew Benz ME 2.8 ECU by CGDI MB and Adapt with DAS? | OBDII365.com Official Blog
Thank in advance
Nicolas

Old 02-27-2023, 12:34 AM

DRBIII can not virginize any module (you'll need KTag or something like it to do that). It cannot change the SCN coding from manual to automatic, you'll need SDS/DAS.

nicolas-e63 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your fast answer...
I will try to find SDS or DAS. A MB star C3 enough or C4 better (chinese clone)
Regards
Nicolas

Old 05-27-2023, 05:03 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got the emulator from UrbanE(thanks) but I get an error message anytime I try to read a module.
It will state unable to read pin 1 for BCM
Pin 12 for PTCM
etc.
Are these pin's on the ODBii port or pins on the actual modules?
Trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2023, 05:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zen Beer
I just got the emulator from UrbanE(thanks) but I get an error message anytime I try to read a module.
It will state unable to read pin 1 for BCM
Pin 12 for PTCM
etc.
Are these pin's on the ODBii port or pins on the actual modules?
Trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting
First thing you can do is to disconnect your battery for at least 30 minutes then try again.

Quick Reply: DRB III Emulator?