Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Can you set traction control to be off by default?

Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you set traction control to be off by default?

I hate needing (or more often, wanting) to do a quick launch out on the road and have the traction control kick in on the 1-2 shift, its like the whole car tripped over something.

Call me lazy or whatever, but does anyone know if you can have the traction control be off by default and pressing the switch turns in on?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Can you set traction control to be off by default?

My guess is that there would be no easy way to do that since the TCS is controlled by the vehicle's computer. That switch on the dash doesn't actually connect to any of the TCS equipment, it connects to the car's computer. Then you press the switch. the computer notices that it has been pressed and performs whatever task it has been programmed to do.

If you had access to an OBD-II interface device such as the DRB-III (I think that's what D/C calls it) it might be possible to change the default behavior of the TCS, but there's most likely no way to do it with simple wiring.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sounds like thats a logical assessment. Guess its safer to have it on anyway.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It feels like it's "tripping over itself" because the TC alternately applies the brakes to each wheel. Even by using the DRBIII scan tool, you can't disable the TC without doing a complete reprogramming of the ECU through an aftermarket Engine Management computer like Motec. Sad to say you're stuck with the darn thing unless you replace the entire computer with a custom program...

I'm working with Motec to develop a custom ECU for the car which will allow me to turn the car into an SCCA track car, but the new computer system is several months away and will probably cost quite a few thousand $.