TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Tried it nothing happen.I've tried several attempts by different mech. Does the bezel power wire for the key way light need to be connected? I've pulled it out of the connecter yet I can't find were it hooks on to .
(broke the wire you ask, YES) If its for the key light only I can do without it. But if it some how connect the FOB key code then I need help to find the location for the repair.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Originally Posted by springer
Tried it nothing happen.I've tried several attempts by different mech. Does the bezel power wire for the key way light need to be connected? I've pulled it out of the connecter yet I can't find were it hooks on to .
(broke the wire you ask, YES) If its for the key light only I can do without it. But if it some how connect the FOB key code then I need help to find the location for the repair.
It needs to be connected. This a part of the security system.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post490240

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

So if someone bought a spare not tied to a specific VIN then would this fix the push button start for the people putting in V8's??????

Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM

There's a keyfob available on ebay if anyone was looking for one...Chrysler Crossfire Key Fob KR55 | eBay

Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dnivek
There's a keyfob available on ebay if anyone was looking for one...Chrysler Crossfire Key Fob KR55 | eBay
I think that basically these are just useful for the case, you still have to switch out the chip and the key from your own old fob.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 PM

This newbie xf owner is pumped. Picked up new key from dealer, he advised it will be 75.00 to program. I looked at him with my big brown eyes, and said really? I just paid 150 for the key. I then asked, how long will it take for programming? His response, about 1/2 hr. I looked at him, said no thanks, I can do it in less than 30 seconds. What I did not tell him is that I have been reading threads on the forum, and I was going to follow the steps.

Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds. Started the car honked the horn laughed all the way home. Thanks for making this old lady look like she knew what she was doing. I love you guys for sharing

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think that basically these are just useful for the case, you still have to switch out the chip and the key from your own old fob.
That's right, did that last summer. The original fob was wornout. Was a bit of a pain to take apart(glued). Transfered the marble looking chip. Secure the chip with a dab of silicone in the new case.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dsam
This newbie xf owner is pumped. Picked up new key from dealer, he advised it will be 75.00 to program. I looked at him with my big brown eyes, and said really? I just paid 150 for the key. I then asked, how long will it take for programming? His response, about 1/2 hr. I looked at him, said no thanks, I can do it in less than 30 seconds. What I did not tell him is that I have been reading threads on the forum, and I was going to follow the steps.

Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds. Started the car honked the horn laughed all the way home. Thanks for making this old lady look like she knew what she was doing. I love you guys for sharing
Good for you! Guess you showed that a$$ at the stealership!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
A ha, I could have found a discrepency. I always inserted the key in the ignition BEFORE I pressed the unlock/lock button twice, then turned the car to on/run.

I will try it again this afternoon by pressing lock/unlock prior to inserting the key in the ignition... hmm wonder if that will do it. (yes, both batteries ar CR2025, though I can't remember if I replaced both of them when I replaced them a couple months ago)
were you ever able to sync your key? just bought an 08 ltd coupe with only one key. after paying dealer 100.00 for additional key, can't get this to work

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster98
were you ever able to sync your key? just bought an 08 ltd coupe with only one key. after paying dealer 100.00 for additional key, can't get this to work
I followed the steps below

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
3. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

What I have learned from reading the many entries on this issue, is that the key fob has to be programmed to your vin. Otherwise, you will be sitting in the driveway. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster98
That price is suspiciously low, was it made special or was it just hanging around?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 PM

i bought the the car from a dealer an hour away from home. dealer agreed to share some of the cost of a new key, then mailed to my home. key will start the car, no problem, just can't operate door locks.

btw: they ordered the new key and it took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Last edited by Rooster98; 01-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM

got it!!
dumba$$ me didn't fully turn switch to the on/off position.

thanx...you guys are the bomb

Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM

I am so thankful that you made it to step #3. . I am not very technical or mechanically inclined, hence why I am looking for a good mechanic or some old dude to fall in love with my car, and he wants to work on OEM, and dress her up (not to old!) and must live in Charlotte or nearby. I have two lights on, one for the TPN and the other indicated I had a light out. Once, I figured out location of light, I went into the trunk, found how to remove panel... jiggled the wires and it worked for now. TPN, I am going to use the electrical tape to cover it, I read that on the forum as well.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Noticed aftermarket wheels. Wonder if the sensors were installed with them. But there is a thread on here to disable the light if you feel like jiggling some more wires.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the OP for posting this up! I just replaced the batteries in my second key/remote and it didnt want to register with the car. Re-programmed it to the car as instructed and it worked like a charm. Now I have a functional second key for my car!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Noticed aftermarket wheels. Wonder if the sensors were installed with them. But there is a thread on here to disable the light if you feel like jiggling some more wires.
No sensors. I did review that thread and the dome light, however I was a little confused if I was going to use the 6th spot or some place in between. Decided I will try it, no sure when, until then I will use perfect cut little circle on dash. Since, I don't have garage if I mess up the homelink I think I will be ok. I will let you know if my next jiggle works. and that would be TPM.

Last edited by dsam; 01-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got the car last Dec. it only had one key. So I ordered a new one.

Meanwhile, I spoke with the previous owner( got the car from a dealer) And he had the spare key, and original radio.

After reading this thread, I programmed the FOB today...VERY EASY, Thanks!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Ok question, when you guys unlock your car using the ignition key did u have the alarm going off while you re-programmed via this procedure? When I unlock my car the alarm that I'm assuming came with the car goes off, I can start the car for about 3 seconds and then it automatically shuts off. Thoughts?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Are you reaching in thru the window to open the door or using the exterior handle?

Quick Reply: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$