TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

My First Oil Change in Pictures

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My First Oil Change in Pictures

Originally Posted by osu9400
how much oil do these cars use? I can't find it in the manual.

I am considering the Amsoil 0w-40. Any problems with that?
Here's you a web site you'll want to bookmark. http://homepage.mac.com/gregmeach/XFire/ the type of oil ...Amsoil I'm not familuar with...so I'll pass on that comment... I use Mobil 1 myself.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: My First Oil Change in Pictures

Originally Posted by ben47
If they are 'fleece' filters, which they look like they are from your pic, that's a great price. They are $18.50 + tax each at the
dealers in my area. Dealers in other areas are charging more.

Thanks for the post!!!

EDIT: You did good, they are indeed 'fleece' filters. K&N wants $16.86 for their filter...

Any comments on the possibility of substituting the recommended 0W-40 oil for 5W -40 synthetic oil which meets european standards? In fact the last letters on the product code read MB which may indicate Mercedes markets their own oil. My thinking is 5 W-40 rating will provide adequate protection during cold starts for the summer months and of course the recommended 40 weight protection when at operating temps. I ask your opinion not because of price but because the 0W oil is not readily available.

For interest sake NAPA makes a very good filter with metal ends and double the filter vanes (NapaGold) http://www.napafilters.com/ compared to the garbage Fram manufactures. With regular 3000 mile oil changes I'm thinking the Napa filter will offer premium protection.
Again, this option is considered out of conveneince, and availability.

Last edited by jaded1958cars; 07-14-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular

magneticred , Excellent, excellent DIY post!!!

benz 47, thanks for the filter location information.

With this thread I just changed the oil on my Crossfire and reset the FSS. I'd like to add a couple of items to the tips, tricks and techniques:

1) I used an Oil Extractor which made the job super simple with no mess. With the most often purchased Pela 6.5 is just too small for the 8.5 quarts our car can carry. But, with the 14 quart capacity of the Pela Pro 14 I not only had sufficient volume, I had a container to carry off the oil:
PELA Pro 14 Oil Extractor

I purchased mine from:
Wholesale Marine:
2) The oil filter asembly ust've been put on by a gorillas as I had some difficulty trying to remove it until...I discovered that my Harley-Davidson Oil Filter removal tool would fit the head of the Crossfire oil filter assembly perfectly. It is part # HD44067. The nice thing is I was able to not only easily remove the oil filter assembly, but I was also able to use my torque wrench on it to achieve the manual's recommended 18 ft lbs.3) WalMart is the cheapest place to purchase oil, when they have it in stockSo, my oil filter, oil and Pela Pro 14 Oil Extractor came to less than the cost of a dealer oil change AND I keep another tool for the next job. Also, it took less time out of my life than going to the dealer!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oil-HD44067-Small.jpg (46.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Did any one have difficulty putting the new Mann filter element on the filter assembly. Mine was a bear to get on far enough to cover the "line" on the element..

Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
Does an '04 require resetting the indicator? What year did that start?

Thanks, James
Yep, they all do. I just did an oil change for the first time on the '04 yesterday. Just follow the reset instructions in the manual. It's easy.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrepower

Did any one have difficulty putting the new Mann filter element on the filter assembly. Mine was a bear to get on far enough to cover the "line" on the element..
It takes a pretty hard push to get the filter on the assembly.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by magneticred
It takes a pretty hard push to get the filter on the assembly.

Thanks, it had me worried at first

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fyrepower

I thought it was just me. Thought I was going to destory the filter getting it to slide up all the way !

Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Local Walmart charged me $18+tax yesterday (I provide oil & filter), priceless though was when (45 min later) I bring in the 2nd one to also have the oil changed & the (good looking) checkout girl comes out to the garage & asks..."What happened-what did they do wrong?" & I tell her "Nothing, different car, this one is my backup...".....PRICELESS!!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Forum Regular

Great price and wonderful story.
A couple of questions:
Did you buy the oil and filter from them?
Did they suck it out or drain the pan?

I buy my oil from them as it is the cheapest in town; filters I get online.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Worked with a guy that used to work at Walmart. They would drain the oil and wipe the filter clean with a rag instead of replacing it.
Nice!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce
Great price and wonderful story.
A couple of questions:
Did you buy the oil and filter from them?
Did they suck it out or drain the pan?

I buy my oil from them as it is the cheapest in town; filters I get online.
I buy the Mobil 1 0W-40 from the cheapest place I can find it (this local Walmart doesn't carry it or the filter) & buy the Mann filters online. I provide the oil & filter & have Walmart do the labor.....ends up totaling about $85. The oil life monitor on the 07 normally lets me go > 8K miles ...I change it at around 7.5K miles though.....I also had them change the oil on the 08 because even though the odometer only has 2600 miles on it....that oil had been in there over a year & half...the 08 is #76,028 of 76,048....built the last week of production.

They drain from below & have a pit that a guy is in ......they don't have to lift the car....I like that!!

I also stand there & watch every move they make & make sure they use the filter I provide & that they use the new O-rings from the Mann kit. I never let the car out of my sight!!

Last edited by Chris L.; 06-24-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Local Walmart charged me $18+tax yesterday (I provide oil & filter), priceless though was when (45 min later) I bring in the 2nd one to also have the oil changed & the (good looking) checkout girl comes out to the garage & asks..."What happened-what did they do wrong?" & I tell her "Nothing, different car, this one is my backup...".....PRICELESS!!!!!

Can't she tell the difference between Fred and Wilma ?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the upload I just conducted my first service! Not as bad as I thought! I drained mine vs. pumped it out the top I feel more comfortable that the sludge and any precipitate is drained out the bottom rather than just the oil sucked out. I am surprised to see that my K&N oil filter is identical in every way to the Mann filter even down the the color. I purchased my crossfire in November and I enjoy it very much I also am very happy with this community and everyone's help it feels like family! Thanks to everyone.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:49 PM

First oil change today. No issues. There was a bit of oil on the upper cover around the oil filter. Left the the cowling under the engine off.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Where are the fasteners to take the cover off from below?? I found the front two easy enough, but can't figure out how to find the other two. (2005 Roadster)

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

This is what I refer to.
Originally Posted by magneticred

2. Bottom of engine. There is a large splash guard and aerodynamic aid that must be removed to drain the oil from the sump - not necessary if using a topsider. The cover is attached by four 8mm screws.
Where are the back two screws?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Where are the fasteners to take the cover off from below?? I found the front two easy enough, but can't figure out how to find the other two. (2005 Roadster)
The back two fasteners are at the far rear portion of the cover. Even after the four screws are out there are two metal clips on both sides that keep the cover from falling off, just a little pull will do.

misc 020.jpg

Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM

yeah, two screws up front and two at the very back. I left mine off to see if the engine bay stays abit cooler.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just found the Wix version of the fleece Mann filter locally at O'Reilly's. $17. Mail-ordered four more via an eBay seller for $57 ($14.25 each with shipping). None at the local Advance Auto, AutoZone, or NAPA.

No 0W-40 Mobile 1 in gallon jugs in town. Found $6.99 quarts at Advance Auto and AutoZone. O'Reilly's had gallons of 5W-40 for $27. But Wal-Mart had gallons of Shell synthetic 5W-40 for $19/gallon.

Quick Reply: My First Oil Change in Pictures