TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Very decent of you!

Good man.

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms
Just a note i had someone come in last week looking for a lock cylinder housing. ours is $379.00 but if you buy it thru mercedes its $130.00 part #A2024600904. I lost the sale but helped a fellow crossfire owner........

Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

great writeup! thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note i had someone come in last week looking for a lock cylinder housing. ours is $379.00 but if you buy it thru mercedes its $130.00 part #A2024600904. I lost the sale but helped a fellow crossfire owner........
Thanks...you made my day! Oh well at least it's fixed!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 PM

As he stated it's MUCH cheaper through Mercedes!! Fortunately I had saved my box from Chrysler, went to Mercedes today and bought the part for $157.00, put that part in the Chrysler box and got my $379.00 refunded today!! A happy ending!!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so I just got my car and have experienced this issue a few times. how long do you have from this happening once in a while to a complete failure?

Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

great write up by the way!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM

I know I missed something but if a key switch is replaced do you get new keys with it or is the new switch rekeyed to the old keys?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 AM

drhrsh,

I just saw your post/pictures. Excellent job! It should really help people get an idea of how it's all laid out (although the pictures looked funny to me at first. Then I turned them upside down to equal laying on your head under the dash and it all looked perfect!!) Anyway, sorry for being so late to congratulate you on an excellent tutorial.

Crossbow39

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by scoutmstr
I know I missed something but if a key switch is replaced do you get new keys with it or is the new switch rekeyed to the old keys?
The lock cylinder is not the issue. I still use the same key. The cylinder slides into the new part.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crossbow39
drhrsh,

I just saw your post/pictures. Excellent job! It should really help people get an idea of how it's all laid out (although the pictures looked funny to me at first. Then I turned them upside down to equal laying on your head under the dash and it all looked perfect!!) Anyway, sorry for being so late to congratulate you on an excellent tutorial.

Crossbow39
Thanks Crossbow. You were the guy that had the solution, I just added pictures. Thanks to you my sticky key issue is gone!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tip: You don't need to remove the key and key cylinder to remove the locking mechanism. It's very tight, but a little twisting and it comes right out.
If you do want to remove the key and the black ring , when you turn it counterclockwise, give the black ring a little tug at the same time. Mine would not simply turn counterclockwise until I pulled a little bit.

I have mine out now and it seems to work fine outside the car. I'm going to add some white grease to the mechanism as best as possible to see if I can reinstall it without having to grind down the end. Btw - the picktures that show the mechanism and where to cut - are right. It's not a pin inside that needs to be cut down, but the whole housing. Just taking off 1/4 to 1/2 inch should do it.

I'll post later today if the white grease does the trick.

Note: I called Brumos Mercedes of Jacksonville FL - they have one in stock for $157 + tax. If all else fails, I'll go get that one.

Last edited by UberXFire; 06-04-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Bad news, good news, bad news, and great news

Bad news: no matter what I did after I took the steering wheel lock/iginition switch out, I could NOT get it to turn to position 1 to get the tumblers out. I tried EVERYTHING - it would not turn out of position '0' so I could not put it back into the car in a non-working state and I could not remove the tumblers to put into a new housing.

Good news: Brumos had the housing in stock for $166 after tax.

Bad news:The housing did not come with tumblers and spade for the key fob, so I HAVE TO get the tumblers out of the old housing

Good news: The housing is light weight cast aluminum so my handy regular hack-saw easily cut the frame around the tumblers (imagine cutting the neck off a plastic bottle). I was then able to put the tumblers into the new housing and reinstall everything.

Works like Butter now!!!

Solution - about 2 hours of real labor minus all my screwing around and $166 for an instock part at the Mercedes dealership. Do NOT let a Chrysler dealer charge you $300+ for a Mercedes part.

Moral of the story - if your key starts 'locking' and you have the jiggle the wheel or try multiple times to turn it - get started on fixing it - you don't know where it will strand you. The solution is not expensive so don't get raped by the dealerships. Do NOT let them convince you it's the tumblers. (see note below). Take your time and you'll have your baby back to new and you'll have a new respect for automotive ignition systems.

Note below: George at Brumos - you're a nice guy but you didn't have a clue what you were talking about even after I explained everything to you. The people in this forum do know what they are talking about and you shouldn't disregard their advice just because most are DIY'rs.

PM me if you have this problem and need help - I'm available 16x7 to help anyone with an Xfire or an SLK with this problem. If you're stranded, I'll do whatever I can to get you fixed asap!

Last edited by UberXFire; 06-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by UberXFire:
BrushRoadster! (09-21-2022), crsfiredup (09-07-2021), LADY1ST (01-24-2024), Mop1960 (04-19-2023)
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Great writeup and comments from everyone. I had to register just to let you know how helpful this was to me. Actually I don't own a Crossfire, but my son does. His fiance' was driving the car and I guess it has had a sticky key for a bit. Well, it finally gave up on her when she was at work. My son went over there to look at it and ended up calling me. Now normally I'm a Ford guy so this was new territory for me. I googled Crossfire and came upon this site. With my son on the phone, I walked him through this writeup. The only problem he seems to be having is the final step of getting the assemby out. He says he cannot get the little lock pin to push in so he can twist the ignition assembly out. Any suggestions?

And again, great writeup to help out numerous people.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 AM

I have a question, if my key will not turn to position #1 and its stuck in #0
how do I push in the silver button to remove the complete part?
Do I have to drill it out?

Originally Posted by UberXFire
Tip: You don't need to remove the key and key cylinder to remove the locking mechanism. It's very tight, but a little twisting and it comes right out.
If you do want to remove the key and the black ring , when you turn it counterclockwise, give the black ring a little tug at the same time. Mine would not simply turn counterclockwise until I pulled a little bit.

I have mine out now and it seems to work fine outside the car. I'm going to add some white grease to the mechanism as best as possible to see if I can reinstall it without having to grind down the end. Btw - the picktures that show the mechanism and where to cut - are right. It's not a pin inside that needs to be cut down, but the whole housing. Just taking off 1/4 to 1/2 inch should do it.

I'll post later today if the white grease does the trick.

Note: I called Brumos Mercedes of Jacksonville FL - they have one in stock for $157 + tax. If all else fails, I'll go get that one.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up and pics. Mine is just starting to act up!!
I won't take it apart till after getting back from Carlisle so I hope I can make it last. With the help found here
I know what tools to take with me. Wish me luck.
Only 6800 miles with very little starts and I always park with no pressure on the steering wheel.

Last edited by crossfirefun; 07-06-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Went to MB of Long Beach its $133.00 plus tax $149.00

So I will do my install tomorrow. My key will not turn to position 1
so I will have to drill out the pin and cut the tumbler out.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by UberXFire
Bad news, good news, bad news, and great news

Bad news: no matter what I did after I took the steering wheel lock/iginition switch out, I could NOT get it to turn to position 1 to get the tumblers out. I tried EVERYTHING - it would not turn out of position '0' so I could not put it back into the car in a non-working state and I could not remove the tumblers to put into a new housing.

Good news: Brumos had the housing in stock for $166 after tax.

Bad news:The housing did not come with tumblers and spade for the key fob, so I HAVE TO get the tumblers out of the old housing

Good news: The housing is light weight cast aluminum so my handy regular hack-saw easily cut the frame around the tumblers (imagine cutting the neck off a plastic bottle). I was then able to put the tumblers into the new housing and reinstall everything.

Works like Butter now!!!

Solution - about 2 hours of real labor minus all my screwing around and $166 for an instock part at the Mercedes dealership. Do NOT let a Chrysler dealer charge you $300+ for a Mercedes part.

Moral of the story - if your key starts 'locking' and you have the jiggle the wheel or try multiple times to turn it - get started on fixing it - you don't know where it will strand you. The solution is not expensive so don't get raped by the dealerships. Do NOT let them convince you it's the tumblers. (see note below). Take your time and you'll have your baby back to new and you'll have a new respect for automotive ignition systems.

Note below: George at Brumos - you're a nice guy but you didn't have a clue what you were talking about even after I explained everything to you. The people in this forum do know what they are talking about and you shouldn't disregard their advice just because most are DIY'rs.

PM me if you have this problem and need help - I'm available 16x7 to help anyone with an Xfire or an SLK with this problem. If you're stranded, I'll do whatever I can to get you fixed asap!
Well it continues... I just got home with the in stock steering lock for Brumos in Jax, Fl. $169 out the door. Mine just started 2 weeks ago and seems to be going fast so tomorrow is my day to rip it a part and replace the part. Thanks for the write up. If anyone is in the Jacksonville, FL area or near, go to Bromus Mercedes. They have a big inventory and has yet to need to order a part for me. George really is the man.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kamjin
Well it continues... I just got home with the in stock steering lock for Brumos in Jax, Fl. $169 out the door. Mine just started 2 weeks ago and seems to be going fast so tomorrow is my day to rip it a part and replace the part. Thanks for the write up. If anyone is in the Jacksonville, FL area or near, go to Bromus Mercedes. They have a big inventory and has yet to need to order a part for me. George really is the man.
Just did my repair today, I had to get my locksmith drill out the lock pin because my key will not turn. but i still have to get out my tumbler or get a new one.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by g-man
Just did my repair today, I had to get my locksmith drill out the lock pin because my key will not turn. but i still have to get out my tumbler or get a new one.
I really had to bust up my old housing, i don't know what was sticking
but it look like it was a few things tumber #2 is sticking but I had to put the hammer to it, I dont think I want to use the old tumblers but I have to see what the LockSmith says.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Next remove the one screw hidden behind the access door to the fuse panel, then the screws around the hood release lever.
Great post. This site is a wealth of information thanks to folks like you!
I just want to comment on the removal of screws around the hood release. I have just replaced my headlamp switch/module (replacing Canadian switch with an American switch to rid of DRL's) and had to remove the panel below the steering wheel as you have shown. I didn't have to remove the screws around the hood release as it dropped down along with the rest of the panel.
One less step maybe?

The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (09-21-2022)
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
cmz
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up thanks!!

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006