TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Originally Posted by velociabstract
No, the dipstick is for several models with different distances to the pan. Therefore what they sell is WAY long and will be sticking out about a foot. Once you know the marks on the end of the stick you can make your own if you choose. There's a DIY dipstick thread somewhere.

Les

Ok, then I need to get a new cap as mine is apparently missing. SMH

Old 01-31-2016, 02:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI - I had my 2004 AT Limited Coupe serviced this week with 40,700 miles. Note the Chrysler manual says 80,000. My independent MB shop says the MB manual for the same transmission is 40,000 miles. I also had the AT Electrical Plug (Plug Adapter) replaced because it was leaking. The electrical plug is a common problem & has been revised to stop the leak.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Transmission Fluid 5127382-AB......$80.00...4 qts @ $20 each
AT Plug Adapter...2035400253...........8.50
AT Pan Gasket....1402710080..........13.00
AT Filter..............1402770095..........18.00

Labor 1.5 hrs @ 105/hr...................157.50
.................................................. ..$277.00
I did my own oil change with Mobil 1 & Mann Filter so my service related expenses for the past year was very reasonable.

The Torque Converter has 4.5 qts of old Transmission fluid still in the system. Why isn't it necessary to replace that fluid as well? Transmission service only requires dropping the pan & replacing the 4 quarts.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Has anyone actually measured the length of the dipstick that is inside the filler tube when it has bottomed out? I measured 25". The reason I ask is because it seems like one time it felt like it was caught on something and with a little push , it went in further. Thanks

Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Anybody? Had some time and checked fluid again today, couldn't get dip stick any further than 23" in the tube today and no fluid on stick. Crazy, I know. Probably going to do a fluid/ filter change and take a look from the bottom side, measure and mark my dip stick and share. Thanks guys.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a "universal Sprinter and others" transmission dip stick. I'll try and find time to measure to the bottom for you. As I remember, you can feel when it bottoms against the pan. I measured cold and hot and the levels were perfect in mine.

Les

Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 PM

Thank you Les, I also have the universal cable type dip stick, plastic end marked 25 and 80 c. I would hate to overfill it, I here they don't like that!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtsman
Has anyone actually measured the length of the dipstick that is inside the filler tube when it has bottomed out? I measured 25". The reason I ask is because it seems like one time it felt like it was caught on something and with a little push , it went in further. Thanks
I measured 19-3/8" to the top of the filler neck. I did this cold, not running; don't know if that makes any difference.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Anybody? Had some time and checked fluid again today, couldn't get dip stick any further than 23" in the tube today and no fluid on stick. Crazy, I know. Probably going to do a fluid/ filter change and take a look from the bottom side, measure and mark my dip stick and share. Thanks guys.
I assume it had oil on it at 25", so it might not have oil on it when cold at 23". The total length of the plastic measuring tip is
just 3".
I went to measure mine but the Cold intake is more or less in the way and I would have to break the red seal anyway. Sorry.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 AM

I'll get to it today ..... sometime today. I don't believe the tip of the dipstick hits at an angle that allows it to bend. I also don't believe the tip will break so push firmly. My daily driver is at the dealer for the airbag recall so the entire family is using my Crossfire. Horrifying!

Les

Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM

Thanks Les. My new connecter came today, so over the weekend I will do a fluid/filter change. The measurement seems to be 23", this is what I get 99% of the time. Had to add a pint of fluid to bring it up in the "cold" safe zone. When I drain the fluid, I will measure the amount in the pan, and in the converter. I think the 05 srt's do have a drain plug on the converter. Hopefully we can put this to bed. I would be curious to see what you get for a measurement if it's not to much trouble. Thank you John

Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Thanks Les. My new connecter came today, so over the weekend I will do a fluid/filter change. The measurement seems to be 23", this is what I get 99% of the time. Had to add a pint of fluid to bring it up in the "cold" safe zone. When I drain the fluid, I will measure the amount in the pan, and in the converter. I think the 05 srt's do have a drain plug on the converter. Hopefully we can put this to bed. I would be curious to see what you get for a measurement if it's not to much trouble. Thank you John
Rudy said in a post some time ago that the fluid put into the auto tranny should be to the MB specifications to get the best from the tranny. It is designed to run with those oils, I would not deviate from this. Oil is cheap enough compared to rebuilt trannies.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

the dipstick tools are longer than they need to be, just push it in until you feel it bottom out, do with car running after you have moved the gearshift through the gears and back to park. it must be correct, if you overfill you need to drain some back out.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM

I pushed the dipstick in until it bottomed, several times just to be sure, and it measured from the black tip to the top of the dipstick tube a total of 26". My car is a SRT-6. I have a pint of the correct transmission fluid in another location. I'll take a picture for you and post it, soon.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2608.JPG (633.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2609.JPG (566.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by velociabstract; 03-11-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 03-11-2016, 05:12 PM

I have the correct fluid to do the filter/fluid change. I am baffled--- my stick bottoms out at 23" and will go no further. If the 26" in correct, I'm over full now but have not driven the car since I added the pint. I will pull the pan tomarrow and might be posting some interesting pictures, we will see!! Maybe the old locking tab from the previous owner attempt fell in the filler tube???

Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 PM

And thanks guys for your efforts , I love this forum! John

Old 03-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the correct fluid to do the filter/fluid change. I am baffled--- my stick bottoms out at 23" and will go no further. If the 26" in correct, I'm over full now but have not driven the car since I added the pint. I will pull the pan tomarrow and might be posting some interesting pictures, we will see!! Maybe the old locking tab from the previous owner attempt fell in the filler tube???
O.K., After seeing the discrepancy here, I checked again(a few times)and got 24" to the top of tube. I wasn't pushing hard enough when I originally checked to respond to this thread. I don't know why there would be any difference in the tube lengths, and don't know why we have different measurements.
But what is important is the level of oil at the other end when it bottoms out; not how long it is to the top.
Mine is a 2005 SRT6

Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

But what is important is the level of oil at the other end when it bottoms out; not how long it is to the top.
Also very important is the temperature of the fluid at the time it's measured. ( Get one of those cheap I/R readers and point it at the pan )
Amazon.com: Nubee Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Nubee Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-12-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:42 AM

I'll check again to be sure of my measurement .... and fluid level. BTW, my expensive autel scanner reads transmission fluid temperature.

Les

Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
O.K., After seeing the discrepancy here, I checked again(a few times)and got 24" to the top of tube. I wasn't pushing hard enough when I originally checked to respond to this thread. I don't know why there would be any difference in the tube lengths, and don't know why we have different measurements.
Mine is a 2005 SRT6
I too noticed a point that caught the dip stick unless it was pushed a little harder.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Checked again. Started the car, went through the gears twice. P/R/N/D/1/2/3/4/D and repeat. My fluid measured 1/8" low and the dipstick bottoms at a smidgen over 26". Mine's a 2006 but I can't imagine it's different from the rest. Just make sure it bottoms out and forget the length.

Les

Quick Reply: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace