TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

battery replacement

Old 11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: battery replacement

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is nothing really that can go wrong, undo the two battery terminals, un-clamp the battery, move cables out of the way and lift battery out of the car. Put the new battery in and reverse the sequence. You may have to reset the radio, I think that depends on how long the battery was disconnected. You may have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to get the ESP/BAS light to go out. That too is a sometimes yes and sometimes no situation.
There is some sparking when moving the terminals, just keep that to a minimum.
Make sure you have a catch basin on the battery toward the cars front and a plug in the hole at the opposite end. You do not want acid spilled out these holes, of course if the battery is one without vents (AGM) you are good to go.
I would also add that you should disconnect the negative terminal first; then the positive terminal. Keeps the sparking down to a minimum. Install them positive first; negative last.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best part of the services received from Advance Auto Parts is not only that they saved all settings with continued power while changing out the old for a new battery, they do not charge to test both the old battery, alternator and installation of the new battery. Sears charges for every service. I'm really impressed by Advance Auto. Also, the AGM battery at Sears has the same warranty as the AGM Auto Craft battery from Advance Auto- 36 months. Sears can't compete with Advance Auto for price and services.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
That's really not such a bad deal since they connected the battery bypass to save all of the settings. May have to look into that option when I replace the battery in my 2007 Limited Coupe.Later,
Order online and pickup instore. This will sweeten the deal. Use this promo code for $50 Off + Free Shipping on All Orders $125+ ..... WD47

Last edited by syfi; 11-22-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A agm battery or better is all I will get.
Optima used to be good batteries but in my truck I burned up 2 of them in less than a year.
Odesey batteries are the best there is but they are not cheap.
1220 ca battery that is for our car. No problem with cold starts there.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/battery_search.aspx

Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I was having corrosion under the oem battery in my SRT6 and replaced it with an Autozone AGM this summer. Seems to have solved the problem, although it was an expensive solution (@ $160 after coupon). No issues at all with removing and replacing batteries - nothing to reset. Even though my oem roadster battery was still fine after 8 years, I decided to replace it as well to avoid corrosion. BTW, I store these with battery tenders all winter and that seems to really help preserve battery life.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
BTW, I store these with battery tenders all winter and that seems to really help preserve battery life.
I drive my coupe a little during the winter season on days where the temp is reasonable and the sky is clear. Overall, I probably don't put more than 3500 miles/year on the car. Strictly a weekend tip vehicle. So I connect a battery charger on the car every 6 months to keep the battery fully charged. Original OEM battery (VARTA) is still in the car and seems to be fully capable. But it's been more than 7 years now and I expect I'll need to replace it next spring.

Later,

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Caution: there is a difference between a battery tender or float charger and a battery charger. The former will cycle on and off to maintain the battery at full charge. A battery charger will continue to pump juice into a battery regardless of charge level, and can overcharge and damage the battery. You can find float chargers online for under $10. I bought four on sale years ago and keep them on my three stored cars and motorcycle battery all winter.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Caution: there is a difference between a battery tender or float charger and a battery charger. The former will cycle on and off to maintain the battery at full charge. A battery charger will continue to pump juice into a battery regardless of charge level, and can overcharge and damage the battery. You can find float chargers online for under $10. I bought four on sale years ago and keep them on my three stored cars and motorcycle battery all winter.
Your feedback above is accurate & something to be cautionary about when hooking up a battery charger. The charger I have will apply full charging current when initially hooked up and then reduces until it stops charging when the battery is fully charged. So, even though I monitor the charger carefully when used, I have never encountered an overcharging condition.

When I had my 2-wheel toys, I used a battery tender during winter season.

Thanks for the feedback,

Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is nothing really that can go wrong, undo the two battery terminals, un-clamp the battery, move cables out of the way and lift battery out of the car. Put the new battery in and reverse the sequence. You may have to reset the radio, I think that depends on how long the battery was disconnected. You may have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to get the ESP/BAS light to go out. That too is a sometimes yes and sometimes no situation.
There is some sparking when moving the terminals, just keep that to a minimum.
Make sure you have a catch basin on the battery toward the cars front and a plug in the hole at the opposite end. You do not want acid spilled out these holes, of course if the battery is one without vents (AGM) you are good to go.
180, do you have a photo of this "Make sure you have a catch basin on the battery toward the cars front and a plug in the hole at the opposite end"
i don't comprende
thanks

Old 04-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by bucketlisted
180, do you have a photo of this "Make sure you have a catch basin on the battery toward the cars front and a plug in the hole at the opposite end"
i don't comprende
thanks

Hi bucket, 180 means there are two holes at the top approximate center of the forward and rearward (almost at top but physically on the side), sides of the batteries. The rear hole should be plugged, the front one houses the 'push-on' small (old style cigarette lighter sized) vent, that vents battery gasses when charged. Without those two holes plugged (rear one plugged, front one a vent inserted), the gasses/overflow runs down to the tray and does damage to things like a hose, and other corrosion. Discussed in depth in posts, best to either install the ones off your old battery, or find them if not included with your new battery (as a note, I have never seen the vent accessory included with a new battery, only one 'plug'. Hope this helps!

Old 04-07-2017, 01:34 PM

I have disconnected XF batteries repeatedly, sometimes for days, and never had problems with the oem radios. I also strongly encourage the [slight] extra expense of an AGM battery to avoid possible leakage, and there is no fluid to freeze in the winter if the charge is low.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hi bucket, 180 means there are two holes at the top approximate center of the forward and rearward (almost at top but physically on the side), sides of the batteries. The rear hole should be plugged, the front one houses the 'push-on' small (old style cigarette lighter sized) vent, that vents battery gasses when charged. Without those two holes plugged (rear one plugged, front one a vent inserted), the gasses/overflow runs down to the tray and does damage to things like a hose, and other corrosion. Discussed in depth in posts, best to either install the ones off your old battery, or find them if not included with your new battery (as a note, I have never seen the vent accessory included with a new battery, only one 'plug'. Hope this helps!

GG, thanks for your info.
I am at a loss about this, I have never got in a situation about what you are talking about, lol.
Here is a photo of the new battery and i see the holes that you are talking about.
Do you or someone have a photo of the proper battery set up?
There was a Walmart battery in there before buying this one, and there was no vent tube with that one.
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1130349.JPG (1.76 MB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg
P1130348.JPG (1.91 MB, 39 views)
Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I am at a loss about this, I have never got in a situation about what you are talking about, lol.
Here is a photo of the new battery and i see the holes that you are talking about.
There was a Walmart battery in there before buying this one, and there was no vent tube with that one.
Thanks
Here is the little trap that came on the Crossfire batteries when new.
It catches any fumes and condenses them. You can buy a tube that does the same thing, it is intended for cars with the battery in the trunk and directs the gases down the tube and into the air and away from the car.
If any fluid spills from the battery it can do major damage. It is cheap insurance.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:56 PM

180 ok i got it
worse case a piece of tygon tubing until something better is found should do
any idea of what to use for the rear plug?
thanks

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I used a hardwood dowel that fit perfect to plug the hole.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM

good application for the dowel, thanks ala

Old 04-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks

The 'plug' should have been included with your battery purchase (it is usually attached to the plastic molded terminal cover on one side or the other) should go to the rearward side hole because the battery goes almost all the way to the rear and that vent probably will not fit in the rear hole. You should get that from where you purchased that battery. Good luck finding that vent, and maybe you can/will find the plug that should have come with your new battery. I have no idea where you would get that vent since you do not have it now (unless, it dropped down when someone changed the battery, past).

180 comes through again, excellent picture of the vent AND a good alternative in the hose option (as long as the end of the hose goes down far enough to keep from dripping acid on something it shouldn't be on).

DO NOT put a plug into both holes, they are there to vent the gasses produced when the battery is being charged. Both sides are open to the inside so only one plug and one vent is necessary.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 04-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

180 comes through again, excellent picture of the vent AND a good alternative in the hose option (as long as the end of the hose goes down far enough to keep from dripping acid on something it shouldn't be on).
That is what I did, got that hose kit from eBay.
I had exhausted all attempts to find one of those catch cans.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 PM

I was unstaling a new battery; +ve first and -ve last. When the -ve was put on there was a noise coming from the engine com[partment. Removed the -ve and the noise stopped.
Any thoughts about what this is. I do not want to attach -ve and start the car with the possibility that the something will get fried. Help,Ian

Old 02-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After being stored this winter my battery will no longer hold a charge. Not at all surprising when I discovered a previous owner put a Duralast Red 425amp battery in it. I'm actually surprised it lasted me trouble free for 2 years.

Being told Optima does not make a battery that physically fits the Crossfire. Anybody else look into that?

Quick Reply: battery replacement