TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Plastic Headlight covers

Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Plastic Headlight covers

Now that the headlights are looking good. Keep it that way with clear protective covers. I used Xpel, but those are no longer made for the Crossfire. Click this link to see a similar product: https://www.weathertech.com/chrysler...fire/lampgard/

Old 07-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

mine were milky. i tried using acetone as per a video. 1 of them came out fine, but the other is milkier than before. polish didnt do anything. seems as if the whole plastic is milky now.
it is NOT a matter of sanding. makes me the impression that acetone went through the plastic. has this ever happened to any1?
and, is there something i can do to fix it?
thanks

Last edited by phil alvirez; 07-06-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM

this is the video where he does it:
seems easy but with mine, 1 is worse than before. am affraid that i used too much acetone and the whole plastic became white. dont know how to fix it, if that can be done.
but is not a matter of sanding.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by phil alvirez
this is the video where he does it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ZRKPshPVM&t=8s
seems easy but with mine, 1 is worse than before. am affraid that i used too much acetone and the whole plastic became white. dont know how to fix it, if that can be done.
but is not a matter of sanding.
I think that acetone will improve the surface of the lens just so long as the oxidized surface has been removed.
The wire wooled surface will have a multitude of fine scratches on it and the application of the acetone to this surface momentarily dissolves the peaks on the surface which leaves the surface reasonably flatter and polished looking.
It will not do that to any oxidized surface material.
Polycarbonate lenses that have been moulded in polished dies are then exposed to a vapour bath of acetone which further refines the polished surfaces.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:05 PM

i see. but then, why on 1 where i used more acetone it has white strokes? and sanding again doesnt help.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try this to see if you can even get your lenses back.....if it is just the lens surface this should work,,,if it doesn't you will not be able to repair them

Buy the Sylvania Headlight Restoration kit (AND ONLY THIS KIT - no substitutes!!!) It should be $20 NAPA, Carquest and others carry it....Walmart hit or miss.

Try polishing a spot on the lense where the white is....no sense in doing the entire light yet...
Do the procedure in a small spot according to the instructions. It will still be cloudy / white when dry but somewhat clearer when wet sanding. Do the various sanding stages!
Once the final UV coat is applied it will dry crystal clear. You only get one shot at the UV coat....it gets tacky very quickly so only quick one way swipes or you will mess up the final coat and have to resand and redo - this is very important if you are doing an entire headlight for a final restoration.

I have used every product on the market and have a cabinet full of all of these headlight cleaners....Sylvania is the best no matter what you read! I have never found one that produced the same clarity on the lense as the Sylvania kit. But like I said - you get one shot at the final UV coat swiping...if you try to go back and redo and area you will likely mess it up. I have done it but it requires delicate touching and it would be noticeable.

Anyway...if the spot comes out and looks great then redo the entire light...even the spot...start from scratch...heavy to liighter sanding....go get wet sanding paper from Auto zone or Advance or Walmart.
If you get this far then in the end your lights will be really nice when you are done...and they will last a lot longer than any of the other brands out there. Mine are now going on two years out in the sun and they still look very good!
The most any other brand will give you is a year at best!

Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what video??? did it say to use acetone or methanol?? You car plastic is like the plastic in your eyeglasses and I thought acetone destroys them...clouds them up and dissolves the plastic. Acetone can only be used on certain types of plastics and I do not know if the Crossfire headlight lense is the right type...I would not have taken that chance on mine.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1200x
what video??? did it say to use acetone or methanol?? You car plastic is like the plastic in your eyeglasses and I thought acetone destroys them...clouds them up and dissolves the plastic. Acetone can only be used on certain types of plastics and I do not know if the Crossfire headlight lense is the right type...I would not have taken that chance on mine.
Methanol is used to clean the inside face of the lens.
Acetone will melt the plastic for a few seconds wrecking the surface, acetone mist applied for a second or so will improve the surface of nicely polished lens.
The moral is keep away from acetone.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 AM

thank you all.
just yesterday tried this: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...c_6CmwQ4dUDCAc
and it did a great job. now the lenses are transparent and look like new.
once again, thanks all
so at the end of the day, there is a remedy after all. perhaps several brands, some work better for some, others for others.