TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Driver Side Wiper Motor Arm Seal Installation - Without Cowl Removal

Old 05-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver Side Wiper Motor Arm Seal Installation - Without Cowl Removal

There is another .pdf instruction shown here, it recommends removal of the cowl (to check for debris). As mine was not clogged with leaves, I did it with the cowl panel in place.

Driver Side Wiper Motor Arm Seal Installation (Without Cowl Removal)
The driver wiper motor arm seal (isolator) is missing on all or nearly all crossfires because the hole is off centered.
The rubber grommet seal (0510 1283 AA) is cheap @ $1.92, but shipping will rack up the overall cost so order more stuff with it if you can.

Open the hood to full vertical.
Observe the passenger wiper arm seal. This is what your goal will be.
IMG_8411c.jpg
Note the location of the driver wiper arm for placement upon reassembly. Observe the off-center hole location.
IMG_8410sm.jpg

Remove the plastic nut cover cap (don’t lose this, it is comparatively expensive)
IMG_8412sm.jpg
Use a 13mm socket and remove the nut.
IMG_8413sm.jpg

Use a wiper arm puller and remove the wiper arm, set aside. (I used
Lisle 54150 Lisle 54150
)
IMG_8414sm.jpg

Use a
sharp knife sharp knife
to trim back the plastic to center the wiper stud and until the grommet seal will settle into the hole without bunching up. Don’t go too much/ too fast. Trim then test fit and repeat as needed. You can always trim more, but can’t put it back if you open the hole too much.

IMG_8416sm.jpg
IMG_8424sm.jpg

IMG_8421sm.jpg

IMG_8422csm.jpg

Place the wiper arm back in the position as it was removed. Tighten the nut
Replace the plastic nut cover cap.
IMG_8428sm.jpg

Close hood to normal open position to avoid interference.

Check wiper function.

Close hood.

Last edited by GregWork; 05-03-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Clarify cowl removal reason in other posting
Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Re: Driver Side Wiper Motor Arm Seal Installation - Without Cowl Removal

Great tutorial and help topic!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Driver Side Wiper Motor Arm Seal Installation - Without Cowl Removal

Originally Posted by GregWork
There is another .pdf instruction shown here, but it recommends removal of the cowl. As mine was not clogged with leaves, I did it with the cowl panel in place.
My PDF (click) does not actually recommend removing the cowl to do the modification. The work is done with the cowl in position as it relies on the position of the hole and wiper shaft to get the correct fit. The actual size of the hole is given in my write up.

Leaves and debris cannot be seen in many cases and the center drain cannot be seen at all and it is recomended that the cowl be removed and the debris removed before you get any drains plugged and the interior of the car gets flooded.

Another plus for my PDF is that the car is clean.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My PDF (click) does not actually recommend removing the cowl to do the modification. The work is done with the cowl in position ...
Another plus for my PDF is that the car is clean.
1) That was not clear. It appeared from the write up that you removed the cowl to do the cutting. "The job could be done with the cowl in place but I removed it..."

2) I knew some joker would comment on the soil on the cowl....

I wash the outside, vac the cabin, and don't worry very often about the engine bay getting dusty...I'd rather be driving it than primping...

Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWork
1) That was not clear. It appeared from the write up that you removed the cowl to do the cutting. "The job could be done with the cowl in place but I removed it..."

2) I knew some joker would comment on the soil on the cowl....

I wash the outside, vac the cabin, and don't worry very often about the engine bay getting dusty...I'd rather be driving it than primping...
Actually the complete sentence reads "The job could be done with the cowl in place but I removed it to see if there were any blockages in the drains and I found the leaves shown."
I think that the meaning is crystal clear.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Since I have the wipers off my car right now anyways, i will be going to pick up a rubber and fill the hole tomorrow.
Thanks for the reminder