TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Trunk cannot open!!!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trunk cannot open!!!

My trunk would not open so I removed some of the backing behind the seat and used a stick to push the panel out of the way (in the trunk) and caught the release with a wire and pulled it. It broke off. Now I cannot open the top because the trunk panel is down. Is there a way to override the panel switch that allows you to open the top. (I've tried everything short of using a hatchet to open the trunk - removed lic plate lights etc). The panel behind the seat from what I see is not removable without using a welding torch!
2005 crossfire convertible. any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Trunk cannot open!!!

Originally Posted by hamptondude
My trunk would not open so I removed some of the backing behind the seat and used a stick to push the panel out of the way (in the trunk) and caught the release with a wire and pulled it. It broke off. Now I cannot open the top because the trunk panel is down. Is there a way to override the panel switch that allows you to open the top. (I've tried everything short of using a hatchet to open the trunk - removed lic plate lights etc). The panel behind the seat from what I see is not removable without using a welding torch!
2005 crossfire convertible. any suggestion greatly appreciated.
When you removed the licence plate light was that to push the latch mechanism?
You can push the latch inside and it is accessed through the drivers side license plate light hole. There is a PDF on how to do this. It is not my bright idea, I just did a PDF on it. There are a few threads on this issue.
What is the cause of the stuck trunk? Is it air pump problems?
Click on “Index of Crossfire ....” in red in my signature, go to “Body” and look at the bottom of the list there are two PDFs there, look at both.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am trying to get my hydraulic system working after changing all the cylinders. My bow latch is half in the trunk lock and will not go any further. The trunk does not open. Any ideas? Will going up through the license plate light let me open the trunk or will an interlock not allow that to work?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ray48317
I am trying to get my hydraulic system working after changing all the cylinders. My bow latch is half in the trunk lock and will not go any further. The trunk does not open. Any ideas? Will going up through the license plate light let me open the trunk or will an interlock not allow that to work?
You should be able to release it thru the tag light hole.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You should be able to release it thru the tag light hole.
The rubber is very hard around the light. Should I pry up the side of the light with a screw driver as I try to push the light to one side to undo the clip? Thank for the quick response

Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The rubber is very hard around the light. Should I pry up the side of the light with a screw driver as I try to push the light to one side to undo the clip? Thank for the quick response
Try this :

Old 03-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Onceyou get the license lights removed, an endoscope will be helpful in looking around to see what's going on. I strongly recommend the Autel endoscope, available from Amazon at about $55 - don't buy the asian "bargain" endoscopes.
What do you feel when you operate the release lever on the trunk lid? Does it move with little or no resistance in its full range of motion, or does it stop part way, as if it has hit a brick wall?

Last edited by ambidextrous; 03-28-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added endoscope price.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 AM

I just ordered a Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 OBD2. Can I use it to unlock my trunk?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 AM

I just ordered a Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 OBD2. Can I use it to unlock my trunk?
No ........

Old 03-27-2019, 09:44 AM

The endoscope is an inspection tool, and will enable you to see why the trunk won't open. You will use a screwdriver to engage the pneumatic release linkage, reposition the electric latch lock, or to press down on the latch release to open the trunk, depending on what you find.

Look on this site for a long thread entitled, "Trunk lid jammed"; You will find quite a few photographs of the latch mechanism, including pictures of what causes the trunk lid to refuse to open.

Last edited by ambidextrous; 03-28-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 PM

thanks for the video to get the tag light out. I was concerned I would make it useless when done. I took both lights out and now able to put a small light into the passenger side and the screw driver into the driver side. I believe I was able to slide the latch to the right because now I am able to move the trunk handle up and down. It still does not open. What did I do wrong? Is there something else I have to do?

Old 03-28-2019, 06:11 PM

If I understand your post, you are able to move the external release lever through its full range of motion with little or no resistance, is that correct? You may have a broken pivot, or the pneumatic coupling device is not connecting the external lever to the internal linkage. An endoscope will be helpful here.

This link will show you how to engage the coupling that's operated by the pneumatic device.Insert the screwdriver as shown by the red arrow. Good luck! https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...all-locked.pdf

Last edited by ambidextrous; 03-28-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
If I understand your post, you are able to move the external release lever through its full range of motion with little or no resistance, is that correct? You may have a broken pivot, or the pneumatic coupling device is not connecting the external lever to the internal linkage. An endoscope will be helpful here.

This link will show you how to engage the coupling that's operated by the pneumatic device.Insert the screwdriver as shown by the red arrow. Good luck! https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...all-locked.pdf
I did exactly as the pdf said. The lever has a full range of motion which it did not have before I pushed the black metal level. Before this I have never had a problem with that lever.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Hopefully Pizzaguy answers, he is an expert on roadster trunk locks which are different to the coupe locks.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:35 PM

I did exactly as the pdf said. The lever has a full range of motion which it did not have before I pushed the black metal level. Before this I have never had a problem with that lever.
You may have a broken pivot, but we can't be sure of this yet. Here's a picture of the roadster latch mechanism, with the release lever identified. To unlatch the mechanism, you must press down on the release lever, rotating it counter clockwise. You will hear a "thump", and should be able to raise the trunk lid.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:02 PM

This was pizza guys post on correcting his jammed trunk lid. CLICK
How to open the trunk latch through the driver side licence plate light hole. This may only apply to the coupe, check it out. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-29-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was stuck with exact same problem when changing out my Left Main Lift Cylinder. The solution took me hours to find, but once I found it it was way to easy.

After removing the left license plate light :

The snagging of the emergency release cable did not work, because as I discovered later the plastic cam was broken.

The pushing on the pawl with a screwdriver did not work, as there was no problem with the pneumatic lock system,

I then realized the the Electronic Relay Lock, which energizes and locks the trunk during the travel of the convertible top, was the device causing the trunk to not open.

I removed the RIGHT LICENSE PLATE LIGHT, and simply put a long screwdriver in and to the left and applied minimal pressure to the black plastic piece at the end of the Electronic Lockout Relay Piston. and with almost no effort was able to push it towards car right, and it moved out of the way allowing to trunk to open.

I plan to make a video of this as soon as time allows. It literally takes 3 seconds after you get the light socket out, a good flashlight and a long this screwdriver. This is the same black plastic piece mentioned in one of the "prevent this from happening again" modifications.

If anyone is stuck and needs clearer instructions before I can get the video made, feel free to PM me.

I was dancing a jig in the garage when I finally got the damn trunk opened back up.

Last edited by sdultra; 07-18-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

^^^ I never think of that, cause I invented the "disable the electric trunk lock" thing years ago. So it can't get me - but the above is an important point, if you have not done the mod, and if it's the electric lock that has you locked out, this is the way to go! ^^^

Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Please do post a video !!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Please do post a video !!
It may be a few days but I will do so.

Quick Reply: Trunk cannot open!!!