TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Tire Recommendations?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Recommendations?

I'm the second owner of an 05 Limited convertible and need new tires soon. I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ but some general reviews say they are loud and hard. Currently riding on Toyo Proxies T1 Sports but after 16K they need replacing and I wasn't thrilled by the ride.
What are others using and why do like / dislike them?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Tire Reccomendations?

I bought a set of Barum Bravuris 3HM tires this summer from Discount Tires. There is not much feedback for this tire because they are relatively new here in the USA but overseas they get very good reviews.They are not expensive. 40,000 mile tire. Good tread. So far I like them.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Ragtop
I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ but some general reviews say they are loud and hard. ?
I am using
michelin pilot sport a/s plus 285/35r19 atm, I like them, they are run flats, so stiffer sidewalls and on 10.5" wide wheels.
I don't notice noise, but noise to me is my mud tires on my trucks and cj7, or improper wear on tires will make tires noise noticeable, now the 40" ground hawks I had 18 years ago howled like banshees, lol

I use all season tires only with where I live.
do not use summer only tires in temps under 40-45° F

Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom3120
I bought a set of Barum Bravuris 3HM tires this summer from Discount Tires. There is not much feedback for this tire because they are relatively new here in the USA but overseas they get very good reviews.They are not expensive. 40,000 mile tire. Good tread. So far I like them.
I'll 2nd this tire choice. Like Tom said, bang for the buck, a good 40,000 mile tire. Discount Tire here has had good reviews from recent owners and encouraged me to not hesitate buying them. Took the plunge last Friday...out the door with tire replacement insurance (road hazards, blowouts etc, tax, balanced, tire disposal $519.84. Tires removed were Continentals with good tread but 7 years old and rock hard. What got me off dead center now was my wife and I had an "adventure" this past Tuesday. Going about 35 mph, the left rear just blew out. Ripped the tire for about 18 inches on the inside.

Oh, here's my vote for replacement TPMSs. The Shrader EZ Programmable sensor #33500s are the ticket and what I supplied Discount Tire. They programmed each new sensor, one at a time, to each wheel before removing the wheels from the car. Started with LF, then RF, then RR, and then LR, cloning the existing TPMSs to these new Shrader #33500. They kept track of matching the new to that corner of the car. I asked for the old TPMSs and they marked on them which corner of the car they came from. Initially I had the tire light glow but after 2-3 minutes of driving, the light went out and my subsequent drive today, the light is off.

Front tires:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...is-3hm/p/11423

Rear tires:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...is-3hm/p/11451

EZ Shrader #33500s, got mine on fleabay, shop it as I paid $89.00 for 4 new ones including shipping:

New EZ Programmable Shrader TPMSs

The ride is much quieter. Those Contis, once they aged, were rock hard and noisy.

These new tires are a bang for the buck!

Regards,

Old 12-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Tire Recommendations?

Triple cheers for the " Barum Bravuris 3HM ", Got them when there was a tremendous rebate, and you register them on the Contenental website. They are European Contentals, very nice ride and I highly suggest you purchase them. I think there is a rebate at Discount Tire Direct and maybe an additional sale for the holidays. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

GraphiteGhost,

Thank you for the registration tip. Just did this online. Much appreciated. Might have missed the window on my purchase for rebates...but I needed 'em. Thanks again!

Regards,

Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Ragtop
I'm the second owner of an 05 Limited convertible and need new tires soon. I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ but some general reviews say they are loud and hard. Currently riding on Toyo Proxies T1 Sports but after 16K they need replacing and I wasn't thrilled by the ride.
What are others using and why do like / dislike them?

Hi,
Running these on my CF, really like the thread pattern, no issues ,smooth ride.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...S-03&frontTire

Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
GraphiteGhost,

Thank you for the registration tip. Just did this online. Much appreciated. Might have missed the window on my purchase for rebates...but I needed 'em. Thanks again!

Regards,

Glad to help, they also give you a road hazard warranty (if I remember correctly) with that registration. Many who buy these just don't know or take the time to register/warrant them. Anyone can check some reviews here ( Barum Bravuris 3HM - Tyre Reviews ). Good luck with the new Barum Bravuris tires!