TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Need Help Replacing Hood Release Cable

Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Replacing Hood Release Cable

I have a 2004 Chrysler crossfire coupe, and I’m trying to replace the hood release cable. I have the shop repair manual, but it is of no help, as it doesn’t go into any of the details and I’ve realized that the darn cable is routed through the bottom of the fuse box. I tried un-bolting the fuse box from the firewall, but it’s a whole mess down there and I don’t know the first place to begin… Whether or not I should try to remove the whole box or not. Why is this so damn hard...why not run it next to the fuse box instead of inside it. I don’t know the first place to begin… Whether not I should try to remove the whole fuse box, or if there’s an easier way to route the cable through the fuse box and into the firewall.

I haven’t seen this issue tackled in the forum yet, surprisingly… Am I the only person that has had an issue with this?

Im stuck here and really could use some help. Thanks!

charlie

Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Need Help Replacing Hood Release Cable

Originally Posted by O4Crossfirelimited
I have a 2004 Chrysler crossfire coupe, and I’m trying to replace the hood release cable. I have the shop repair manual, but it is of no help, as it doesn’t go into any of the details and I’ve realized that the darn cable is routed through the bottom of the fuse box. I tried un-bolting the fuse box from the firewall, but it’s a whole mess down there and I don’t know the first place to begin… Whether or not I should try to remove the whole box or not. Why is this so damn hard...why not run it next to the fuse box instead of inside it. I don’t know the first place to begin… Whether not I should try to remove the whole fuse box, or if there’s an easier way to route the cable through the fuse box and into the firewall.

I haven’t seen this issue tackled in the forum yet, surprisingly… Am I the only person that has had an issue with this?

Im stuck here and really could use some help. Thanks!

charlie
It has been done before, what is your problem?
The shop manual tells you how to do it.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

In looking at the Shop Manual, I don't see where it says the cable is routed thru the fuse box. Manual states that the cable comes thru a grommet located in the firewall beneath the fuse box. I will agree that the Shop Manual doesn't provide the typical good illustration(s) to go along with the text. But the text seems to be clear enough to perform the repair. My $0.02.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
In looking at the Shop Manual, I don't see where it says the cable is routed thru the fuse box. Manual states that the cable comes thru a grommet located in the firewall beneath the fuse box. I will agree that the Shop Manual doesn't provide the typical good illustration(s) to go along with the text. But the text seems to be clear enough to perform the repair. My $0.02.
These Service Manuals are made for use by dealership mechanics etc, they are made for people that should have a basic understanding of auto repair. They are not made for people with a limited knowledge of auto repair.
In most cases the mechanics will not look at the manual unless they get into trouble.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. First off, I have a lot of experience working on cars, so that’s not the issue.

Second, it absolutely IS routed through the fuse box...there is an opening on the bottom rear of the fuse box that the grommet goes into. Past that point, it enters through the firewall. You guys have clearly not attempted this, or you’d see what I’m talking about.

If someone has any real working knowledge of this, please reply. Manual is truly useless for this.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by O4Crossfirelimited
Thanks for your replies. First off, I have a lot of experience working on cars, so that’s not the issue.

Second, it absolutely IS routed through the fuse box...there is an opening on the bottom rear of the fuse box that the grommet goes into. Past that point, it enters through the firewall. You guys have clearly not attempted this, or you’d see what I’m talking about.

If someone has any real working knowledge of this, please reply. Manual is truly useless for this.

Thanks.
Become a hero of the Crossfire community, record and take photos of all the steps to do this job successfully and your name will be forever held in high esteem amongst us and spoken of in hushed tones of awe.
Others were the first to do such repairs and they recorded their efforts for posterity and their posts gained them entry into the Crossfire Hall of Fame and some of them were awarded the CROSSY an award emblematic of forum excellence, this consists of a gold plated inoperable cup holder.
In any event the post will gain automatic entry into ‘The Index of Crossfire Repairs and Problems’ which ain’t too shabby.😜
My final words are to go forth and conquer the problem, MAGA.